Anyone else sick of the i7 or heat QQ threads

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JamieVB, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JamieVB macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Thought i would share my 2 cents.
    Is anyone else sick of the QQ about the i7 and the heat of laptops in general.

Facts: the new macbook air has more technology packed into its tiny metal case then most PC towers, SURPRISINGLY it may get hot, perhaps thats due to being the size of an ipad while towers have a cooler pretty much 60-70% the size of the macbook airs shell. such as the cool masters V8. if you stick all this into a case the size of an ipad it will get hot.

Fact 2: laptops HAVE ALWAYS got hot under load, i remember years ago a laptop being too hot to sit on my legs when i was playing on it , since laptops began they have always got hot.

Fact 3: As much as people who bought the i5 would like people to believe at how the i7 is such a marginal difference, and how many posts they make pretending they have seen the difference. if an i7 was a baby upgraded i5 it would be called an i5, i7's have always been the cream of processors.
    yes the 13" may not be a massive boost, however on the 11" the boost is quite large. i7's have always been a large cut above the i5's, ive used both and i7's really take the the prize every time.

Fact 4: i7's have 1 mb more cache then the i5''s thats 30% more, make what you will of it but i have noticed that cache makes a massive difference in computers in general use and also using heavy use programs, games / cad / other stuff.

In conclusion, i7's are a way ahead of i5's always have always will, the ghz may be smaller difference in the 13" however the cache alone 30% larger is far worth the money. also what a lot of the sites are not telling people, that the cores HD3000 on the i7 especialy on the 11" model is boosted by a far larger amount on the i7 , while the hd3000 is gimped by the i5, on the 11" i arnt too sure about the 13"

finishing point: put strain on laptops they get hot, supprisingly. and honestly if i see another post about wether or not a laptop of this size can run brand new fps and other games decently im gona cry. honestly do you seriously think a laptop of these dimensions will be able to play anything on high graphics. omg seriously install a brain while your installing lion please.

thats my 2 cents anyway :) feel much better now
    ahhh.

if you feel the same please bump, and no i5 fanboys saying ohh but my i5 is far better then the i7 THEY BOTH GET HOT, DEAL WITH IT.:apple:

2. trondah macrumors 6502

Fact 1: There is a difference in heat between i5 and i7.

Fact 2: There are people who would choose the cooler CPU over the more powerful one, regardless of performance or price.

Fact 3: The two facts above makes your thread a waste of space.

Fact 4: Having 1mb more of L3 cache certainly does not equal a massive boost and it makes you look really stupid to claim it as a fact.

Fact 5: Had you read ANY of the i5 reviews or compared any relevant benchmarks, you would know that for normal use there isn't any noticeable difference between i5/i7.

Fact 6: You sound like someone who bought the i7 simply because 'it's the best' and somehow need to justify it to yourself. The i7 burning your balls much? lol

Fact 7: I'm surprised I'm still wasting my time writing this, but it's a slow day at work.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

How much?

And did they base this decision on actual benchmarks or forum whining? See #1.

He who lives in a glass house... :D

Massive may be a bit much. But $100 worth? Probably.

Really? I noticed it. :p

LOL!

Diddo. ;)

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

LOL...

Nuff said, summed up. /close thread. :)

5. trondah macrumors 6502

That's exactly what the people making heat threads wants to know. If you know the answer you should probably answer some of them. I'd say the difference could be as much as 10-15 C on the 11".

Stupid question deserves no answer.

Yes, I guess a post in a thread that is a waste of space is of equal worth. Got me there.

$100? To get the i7 cpu on the 13" you got to shell out $300 for the 256GB first. Totals $400 to get the i7 upgrade over the base model. Same goes for the 11", $200 to get the 128GB and then $150 to get the i7, totalling $350.

That's besides the point though, you claim the cache to give a massive boost, which it doesn't. The i7 will give siginificant improvements in encoding tasks, but that got little to nothing to do with the +1MB cache.

That's a blatant lie to support your ramblings. Safari does not start any faster with the i7, and that's what 99% of people use their MBA for. If you ever talked to anybody that has an MBA outside of this forum that is.

In a comparison I read somewhere there was a 2 seconds difference in boot-up time between the 11" i5 and i7. That's not noticeable. However, a 10-15 C difference in temperature IS.

6. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

The i7 is the FASTER over the i5. On paper and in test. How much faster, depends on the task. Safari, Mail, etc. you probably won't see if any difference. Apps like photoshop and final cut, you will see a slight speed increase. Maybe a second or two. When importing lots of photos or heavy rendering that's where you will see it preform. But if your opening PS to retouching a photo, probably no difference at all. I own both machines and can tell you on some occasions the i7 is faster. But most general tasks like safari or mail, iWork, Ms office - virtually no difference. Mainly the big boy stuff you will see the slight increase.

7. warfed macrumors regular

Define "more technology" :D

8. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

My Air is nice and toasty, warm to the touch but never burning. Would make a perfect lap warmer in the winter :)

9. KPOM macrumors G5

To be fair, most of us are getting the 128GB model in the 11", so it's a cost of $150. The 11" Core i7 is the potential sweet spot for those looking for the i7 since it doesn't require the 256GB SSD the way the 13" does.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You should stop reading threads that make you sick.

11. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Fact - many people buy Airs because they're light and dead silent.
    Fact - when fans are going off just during simple browsing, it's unacceptable
    Fact - creating a whiney thread about people whining is hilarious

12. alau0115 macrumors regular

Apple Expert, since you own both machines, (i5 and i7 of 2011 13" MBA), how do you find the difference in heat dissipated? Should they feel about the same except the more heavy duty stuff where there is s a noticeable speed difference ?

Thanks.

13. DavidC1 macrumors member

Wasn't the concensus that after a few days the i7 Air lowered temps?

14. Wormald macrumors regular

There's been precious little scientific testing of the temperature difference between the i5 and i7 - it's all just subjective anecdotal ramblings that I've seen so far.

As for the performance difference - of course the i7 1.8GHz is faster than the i5 1.6/1.7GHz. The clue's in the name!

15. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I had the 2010 C2D and now have the I7 machine. For 95% of my work, new new machine doesn't get any warmer than my previous Air did. Same pattern of warm spot at the top left of the keyboard (actually the strip of aluminum right above the keyboard).

I've only heard the fans spin to 6K once in 3 days, when I started a game for a few mins. Within 1 min of quitting the game, the fans spun back down and were inaudible. I seriously think the heat thing is overblown on the I7.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

It is. I notice no difference in the heat or fan than in my old Core 2 Duo MacBook Air. If anything, it runs less since software is less taxing on the i7. To be sure, Ivy Bridge will be an improvement next year since it will run on a smaller die, but the i7 is fine.

17. trondah macrumors 6502

To be completely fair, I live in Norway and the i7 upgrade for 11" is about $227. Not all Mac users are in the US. And when there is absolutely no difference in everyday use, it doesn't really matter if it's $150 or $15. Anybody trying to tell me any different is just plain wrong, I have other things to do with my money than waste on my e-penis.

I've had all generations of Macbook's since they were released, and since the unibody design came I've been very picky about the temperature. Depending on how much of a mess Apple made with the thermal paste the ultimate models can become VERY hot. My 2010 MB went to 107 C and Apple said it was fine. I used my consumer rights and returned it, the next one maxed out at 75 C after using Coolbook.

With every new release, there's always a lot of interest in temperature. If a lot of people are interested, what's the point of whining about that interest? It's what we'd like to know, period.