Anyone else sorry they didn't get more memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Previously I had a 32GB iPhone 4, but when I bought my new 5 I only got 16GB. Well, I should have known but it is already full. We are heading out on a vacation soon and I basically have no room to store pictures and videos. Since I was buying 3 iPhone 5's, I was trying to save a little money and got all three with just 16GB. I just went through and deleted off as many apps as I could and removed all my photos I already had on it. Plus I got my music files down to just the bare minimum. Now I have 3GB free. Just a warning to others, get as much memory as you can. I know when I order my new iPad mini, I will at least get 32GB, if not 64. Hopefully when I travel, I can move pictures and videos I take off my iPhone to the new iPad every day.

2. kalexn macrumors 6502

This is probably a stupid question but are you using photostream? This will store all the photos you take to the cloud when you are connected a wi-fi (any wi-fi, heck you could go into McDonalds and connect it). Also, I don't store my music on my iPhone, I have that go through the cloud as well.

Good luck!

3. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

How do you have your music go through the cloud? Also how much data does that use?

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

While on vacation you don't necessarily have access to wifi especially on cruise ships. They tend to be slow and very costly.

I always buy the top memory option (in this case 64GB). I have a lot of apps and a lot of pictures synced from iPhoto. I also like to take a few movies along as well. Nothing works better than having stuff stored in memory. It's fast and you don't need to worry about downloading anything while on the road.

5. gsampson macrumors member

That's why it's good the iPhone comes with a 30 day return policy.

6. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

7. Apple TarHeel macrumors member

I preordered the 32gb version to save $100. Received it on September 21st and loaded my apps and some video podcast. Was out of memory in no time. Took it back to the apple store and bought the 64gb version with no regrets. It's nice to have the memory for storing videos taken on the phone and not having to worry about removing apps all the time.

8. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Owned a 64gb ipad 2, iPhone 4, ipad 3, and iPhone 4S.

Never used any memory except for photos and music.

Always had 40-50gb free on each device.

It's nice to have, but certainly not necessary any more. I keep stuff in Google Drive and Dropbox for backup. Both of which are necessary because of the limitations of photo stream and iCloud.

Also, iTunes Match and Google Music means I don't need to manually sync or load my phone to my computer anymore for any reason.

Currently at 10gbs free on my 16gb model, which is plenty for taking photos and videos.

The only app that takes up a lot of space is garage band, which I rarely use. Most games are trash and a waste if time. There's really nothing in the App Store that's good and takes up a lot of space.

Unlimited data is far more useful than more local storage.

9. QuasarZ macrumors member

I switched from 16 to 32 a week after I got it. Knew I'd run out.

10. rollingstart Guest

Just my opinion...

If you're economical with your stuff you don't need a lot of storage, you can get by with 16GB. I can't imagine anyone needing more than a core of maybe 50 apps tops for everyday usage. Most apps take up little memory. Videos and music can stay in the cloud. iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive. Record or listen, then delete from your phone.

I very consciously bought 32GB because I knew 64GB would make me (and my phone) sloppy. But I know I can also get by with 16GB if I had to.

You don't need to take Infinity Blade I&II, and Real Racing 2 around with you all the time (as an example). Deal with only having one of them at a time. Think about using cloud services. If you have a ton of videos on your phone move them to your laptop.

I'd be interested to hear what OP has on his phone that brings it to 12 GB at a bare minimum, and if that is absolutely the case or if there's any way to be more efficient/economical.

11. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Only issue is that most Apple stores don't have stock. I have been trying for 2 weeks to exchange to bigger model, no luck.

12. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I have a real digital SLR, a real digital pocket camera, and a real film camera. I think I've used the camera on my iPhone 4S once. I store my music on a server. A 16GB iPhone is more than sufficient for me. I have about 60 apps installed and still have about 8GB free.

13. Dartanian macrumors member

I didn't know the iP4 came in a 64GB version. :confused:

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

precisely why I went for the 64GB iphone 5. My 4s was 16 and I was so sick of having to sort through music and dump pics/vids off and still got the little "you ran out of space" pop-up when taking a hilarious video of my kid.

Worst mistake I made with the 4s was returning my 32-gig for a 16-gig.

Knowing that I intend to use my phone as my main camera, video camera, iPod, news/magazine reader -- it was a no-brainer for me.

Live and learn

15. cngrevolution macrumors member

$25 a year for iTunes Match. No need for servers etc. I have about 80gigs of music and none of my music is on my phone but all available to stream. I use photo stream as well. I bought the 32gb iphone5 and only using about 5 gb or so. But I should say I have unlimited data on Verizon so I don't even give a thought to how much I'm using to stream etc.

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've had 32GB since iPhone 4 and its plenty of space, especially with iTunes Match...now I don't store any music on my phone.

17. Stinja macrumors regular

Had a 32 GB iPhone 4, so I knew it'd be necessary to go with 32 gigs on the 5.. 3,000+ songs, photos, and apps—I'm set.

18. kalexn macrumors 6502

My whole family uses our music through the cloud. I think it is an option when you plug the iPhone into your computer as I could not find it on the settings. I do know that to turn it on you can't have any music on your phone. I also have it set up like this on my iPad, so my music is only on my computer. I like it because it takes up A LOT less space as I don't have to pick and choose which songs to have.

So far since I got the phone (Oct 4) I have sent 306MB and received 504MB and that includes listening in the car using it like a radio when I forgot my ipod hookup.

19. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

It didn't. He made that part up.

20. kalexn macrumors 6502

true with cruise, but not everyone goes on cruises and may choose vacation places with wi-fi readily available. I don't like to keep my stuff stored in memory because if I lost it I would be really mad, so by storing in the cloud I know it will be there if something happens to my phone.

21. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Wish I got the 32 but I was just trying to get a phone. I think I can manage my memory with 16. So for the most part I'm happy.

22. Jinzen macrumors 6502

It was the maxed out version, which is what I bought each time. I don't recall if it was 64 or 32, just bought the highest end each time.

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope but I always buy the largest capacity.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This except I don't have unlimited data with AT&T, but I don't stream enough to even be concerned.

25. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay guys, help me real quick on this. I had not thought of this. Is it too late for me to return my 16GB unit and get a 32GB unit? My unit was delivered on Sept. 21. When is the 30 days as of? I purchased from Apple online store. If not too late, I will return and get the 32GB. But it looks like I would need to act like the next day or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is kind of a big deal for me.

As a followup, I pulled up my online order and tried to do a return and it said none of my items were eligible for return.