Anyone else stuck somewhere because of the volcano in Iceland?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by annk, Apr 18, 2010.

  1. annk Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #1
    I was supposed to leave Wisconsin for home (Norway) on Friday evening, but had to rebook for tomorrow evening. Now I'm not sure if I'll get off the ground then, either. :(

    My dilemma is that first I fly to Detroit, and only then will I know if my plane to Amsterdam is taking off. So what do I do then, wait it out in the Detroit airport (costs too much to go back to Wisco and wait), or ask to be rebooked to somewhere farther south in Europe and spend 1-2 days on a train to get home to Norway?

    Rebooking for my original route is just going to get harder and harder, since every day that goes by = more passengers who need to rebook.

    I'm bummed.
     
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #2
    From what I hear trains are booked too so maybe wait another day and see. Airlines are pushing for a relaxation of the ban.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8628323.stm

    I see that most of Norway's airports are open. Maybe you could get a flight direct?
     
  3. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #3
    Aarrgghh.

    If I could just get to Amsterdam, I have someone to stay with, and I could get back to Oslo as soon as things opened up. I wouldn't mind hanging out there for a few days, I've never seen the city. Hell, I could even just rent a car and get myself home from there.

    My worry is that if I have to rebook now, there won't be any available seats until days from now.

    Will just have to see what KLM says tomorrow morning. Or just go to Detroit prepared to live in the airport for a few days.

    Edit: Norway's airports are expected to start closing again on Tuesday due to more ash. But if I could get to Copenhagen or Stockholm, I'd practically be home.
     
  4. anjinha macrumors 604

    anjinha

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #4
    I'm supposed to go to London on thursday. Some less optimistic reports make it seem like I won't be able to go. :(

    While it's not as big a deal as people trying to get home and such it still sucks because if I have to rebook it I just won't be able to go. :(
     
  5. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #5
    I'm stuck in Chicago working the transatlantic schedules for star alliance and can't go home until we can put everything back on the normal timetable. seems like that will be a while. So I'm stuck because of I can't get anywhere, rather I'm stuck because you can't get anywhere.

    At least they're paying me well.
     
  6. skunk macrumors G4

    skunk

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2002
    Location:
    Republic of Ukistan
    #6
    This cloud certainly has a silver lining for me: my current Clients are stuck in Cyprus, so we have several more days to get their house finished. :)
     
  7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

    Compile 'em all

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2005
    #7
    Not stuck, but my flight to Barcelona was canceled this weekend so I stayed home. I actually had my stuff packed and woke up on friday to an email that flight was canceled because of a volcano. I was like wtf! :p
     
  8. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #8
    Well, I'm fairly close to Chicago, so I'd be happy to fill any empty seat heading toward Northern Europe. ;) Just to help you out, of course. :D
     
  9. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #9
    Sadly, the term "empty seat" will probably be a rarity over the north atlantic for quite a while. We've been routing many people through the far east in instances where the airport at their final destination is open.
     
  10. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #10
    ^ Wow, it never occurred to me that that was an option.
     
  11. anjinha macrumors 604

    anjinha

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #11
    So do you have any inside knowledge on how soon flights to the Northern Europe area will be allowed?
     
  12. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #12
    Honestly I haven't been following the movement of the ash very much, we're just executing the policy that gets forwarded to us from across the pond. I heard the possibility of later tonight (Monday 20:00 MESZ) as the time when some LH airports will allow commercial aircraft departures, but that has been a few hours ago.
     
  13. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #13
    Stupid question - what is LH? :eek:
     
  14. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #14
    sorry, I'm too lazy to type out "Lufthansa."
     
  15. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #15
    Well that's good news, since rebooking to Germany (if there are any seats) in order to take a train the rest of the way (if there are any seats :rolleyes:) is one option I'm considering.
     
  16. Dagless macrumors Core

    Dagless

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    #16
    If The Star (etc) are to be believed then I'll be missing out on my summer holiday in 2 months time :rolleyes:.

    My uncle was stuck in Poland but he's decided to get the coach back.
     
  17. anjinha macrumors 604

    anjinha

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #17
    What should be the procedure when planes start flying? Will people get bumped for people people who have been waiting longer?
     
  18. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    #18
    There's a whole group from the art department where I received my MFA that are stuck in Paris. There are worse places to be stranded. Still, the volcano went off right before their flight was to depart. So they'll be there an extra week or so.
     
  19. jeffmorr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #19
    I know a whole hockey team that's trip to Europe got cancelled because of that, it sucks
     
  20. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #20
    That might not be so far from the truth. From what I'm reading in the Norwegian papers online, this problem might be an off-and-on business for quite a while to come. And if the main volcano blows (which they say there is a 75% chance of), we're screwed for quite a while. :(

    This trip was an extra trip, to give my mom a hand taking care of my chronically sick father. I was planning a real vacation here - with husband and son - at the end of June. But now, who knows...

    First Iceland wants us to bail them out in their financial crisis. Then they throw ashes at us. :p
     
  21. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #21
    No, if you're confirmed on a flight that is scheduled to depart, you won't be bumped off unless you fail to check-in on time. Everyone that wishes to travel on a flight which they did not include in their original reservation will be placed on standby.
     
  22. macfan881 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    #22
    if things arent cleared up by saturday my dad maybe stuck on the way back from a business trip in the Philippines not sure how his flight went if it went east to west or west to east since we live in Nashvile.
     
  23. anjinha macrumors 604

    anjinha

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #23
    Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. :)
     
  24. annk thread starter Administrator

    annk

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #24
    Well then I hope to God that KLM flight 6048 from Detroit to Amsterdam takes off tomorrow evening at 2150. I have a seat on that flight.

    *crosses fingers and everything else on anatomy that can be crossed*
     
  25. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #25
    Words for the wise, it may be worth it to get up early tomorrow and check the status of the four DTW-AMS flights. Try to standby for a flight to Detroit early in the day or even a same-day confirmed change ($75 on Delta, I believe). If any of those four transatlantic flights are canceled, yours almost certainly will be since it leaves so late.
     

Share This Page