Anyone else think Apple is releasing a new device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbell1975, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

If you look back a bit, Apple released the iPod Touch as well as a 6th gen classic iPod back in 2007. Well this is going to be the 6th gen of the iPhone as well and I think they may be getting ready for a device in the 5-7 inch range. Two things make me think this. First is all the success the Kindle Fire and Galaxy Note have been having with many millions sold. Its obvious there is a growing number of people who want a mobile device bigger than a phone but smaller than an iPad. Second is the way they have been integrating iOS with OS X. Its going to be even more evident with the release of Mountain Lion.

I am seriously thinking Apple is going to introduce a 5-7 inch device this year that will run iOS but will also be able to work with your iMac, MBP or MBA. Maybe something like we have seen with the iPhone and iPad sharing apps. What if they made a device where you could be be looking at its list of apps, then you drag it over to the right but instead of going to the next screen, you could drag it on to your iMac or MBP? Or you could be working on a document on this new device and then select an option and it would appear on your iMac or MBP right where you left off so you could continue working on it or vice versa. There has to be a reason they are really trying to integrate iOS and OS X and its pretty clear people want a larger iPhone but Apple doesn't seem willing to make it bigger. Thoughts?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'll probably be the odd one out, but I think Apple will release at least an iPod Touch this year with a bigger screen. Maybe an iPhone afterwards. That would be backwards from previous years, but still possible.

3. ap3604, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not talking about a bigger screen on the iphone, a new device. Oh and people dont want a bigger screen on the iphone? Really? This says otherwise... :rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1333651

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. ap3604, Mar 30, 2012
  7. pat park macrumors 6502a

just a small snippet of the total iPhone population. Judging from the overwhelming success of iPhone sales, I would have to say that Apple knows what they are doing and you do not.

8. jeffe macrumors 6502a

You all can keep saying that people do not want larger screens but it doesn't change the fact that many do.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/15/people-want-their-next-phone-to-have-a-big-a-screen-survey-says/

9. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes we do know what happened. Android overtook iphone and now owns a larger share of the market than Apple and it's growing daily. Go look in the thread here about making the switch to Android. Most of the users cite larger screens for the main reason they switched to Android.

----------

Here is more on it

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/14/people-want-supersized-cell-phones-new-study-shows/

10. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

11. ap3604, Mar 30, 2012
  12. fupresti macrumors regular

I am an avid Apple user, I have had every iPhone so far minus the 4S, every iPad and use Macs exclusively. That said I do wish for a larger screen and I may just go with the HTC One X as my next phone. A little variety wouldn't hurt either, but I am leaving the door open to upgrade to the next iPhone in the fall if it really comes out of the gate swinging with some great new features.

13. ap3604, Mar 30, 2012
  14. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you want a phone with a slower processor, small screen and you don't want LTE? Wow...

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

So the 200 or so people who voted they wanted a bigger screen speaks for the millions of other people who have iphones right?! Get real bro not everyone wants a 5" iPhone. I for damn sure don't want a phone that big.

16. ap3604, Mar 31, 2012
  17. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are clearly one of the small few who use your phone only as a phone and that's fine. However, most people in the year 2012 use their phone as their main portable device. They use it to play games that need big power to run, stream HD movies, browse the web, business people use it for work etc...all of these things work much better on devices with more processing power, larger screens and faster networks. People who just want a phone to make calls and text message can live in the past and buy a dumb phone. Any phone out there will do that.

18. ap3604, Mar 31, 2012
  19. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Oh. Ok. And people who just use their phone for calls, texts, email, web, notes, a calculator etc, and don't require something looking as ridiculous as a Note to do it? Any buying tips for us?

20. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If everyone thought like you, we would still be using record players instead of MP3s because music is music right? We would still have bulky, standard def 4:3 TVs instead of HDTV and Blu Ray because old TVs and VCRs p,ayed movies just fine right? We would still have computers with CRT monitors instead of HD LED displays and 512MB of RAM since just about any program can run off that right? Who needs technology? Why innovate and continue to use new technology when what we have been using still works ok right?

21. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

That's nonsense. Nobody wants tech development to stand still. But for decades, manufacturers have attempted to make cell phones more compact -while upping performance- and now, since a year or two, a certain category of people keeps crying about how a bigger screen is desperately needed. Because they want to play games and stream movies :rolleyes:
    You argue something that can't be argued, really.

22. ap3604, Mar 31, 2012
  23. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's because times have changed. More people than ever are using their phones as a mobile entertainment device, not just their phone. It's not a certain type of category either, it's thE vast majority. Read that article saying 90% of people want bigger phones again.

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol just because you want it doesn't mean everyone else does buddy. Not everyone out here is looking to carry a mini tablet in their pockets.

25. drkryn macrumors member

How is a 4" or 4.3" phone a mini tablet? People like you who talk about "If I want a tablet I'll just use my iPad" are going to be the same people who will be pre-ordering the next iPhone even if it was 5".

Just because YOU don't want a bigger phone doesn't mean everyone else doesn't either.