anyone else think of X Windows...

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
LOL, yeah. I am running KDE 3.1b1 on Xdarwin right now. that's classic.

i assume you mean the letter "X," not the roman numeral "ten." they have to say "ex," and then it gets on my nerves. i remember when i was a preswitcher though. i was like, "windowshading? is that like the shadows behind the windows and toolbars?" gotta give the newbies and the non-linuxers their leeway, eh?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Shadowfax

i assume you mean the letter "X," not the roman numeral "ten."
right. as in the windowing system i used in the late 80s.

gotta give the newbies and the non-linuxers their leeway, eh?
<sigh> i suppose. but it _does_ confuse me sometimes. e.g. "i'm trying to install X on my mac" ambiguous!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by zimv20

<sigh> i suppose. but it _does_ confuse me sometimes. e.g. "i'm trying to install X on my mac" ambiguous!
hey, it could be done. sounds pretty difficult.

KDE is working pretty well, i got GIMP and Mozilla compiled for it too. something fun to play with, hehe.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Re: anyone else think of X Windows...

... when people on this site refer to OSX as simply X?

or am i the only one?
Absolutely. Of course, I think it's strange that people refer to XWindows as X11 as if there wasn't a version 10 prior to 11.

I've found quite often that people tend to leave out details, no matter how well they know a subject.

There are other things here to concern me, such as people referring to Mac OS X as OSX. :D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX

?????

aren't you running it? you said you're running XDarwin.
yeah, right, i was thinking in a circle, or something. KDE isn't X windows, but it runs on it; yeah, xdarwin is the OS X implementation of the X window system. sorry.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Shadowfax

yeah, right, i was thinking in a circle, or something. KDE isn't X windows, but it runs on it; yeah, xdarwin is the OS X implementation of the X window system. sorry.
lol. no worries. i had to go look up XDarwin to make sure *I* wasn't confused.