Anyone else think watching netflix on ipad is better thzn on a hdtv?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Stirolak123, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

I have a samsung 60 inch 720p plasma and for some reason, despite the ipad not having a true 720p, it just looks crisper and nicer and I like how you can skip or fast forward easier by dragging than on a remote. It just is more intuitive snd looks better for some resson. Snyone else beside me stop using their hdtvs mostly due to the ipad? I almost feel like selling my hdtv but still use it for blue rays.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm definitely going to use this as an example in the next "Typing on the iPad?" thread.

3. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Interface is better but I wouldn't say I like watching it better on a 10" inch opposed to a 55"

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Errrr, that would be negatory.

5. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Is it better to ride a donkey to work instead of a car?

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It depends on how long your commute is. You'd get some fresh air and sun and seriously reduce your carbon footprint on the donkey.

The only problem would be where to park it.

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

How big it is only matter when you view it at the same distance. Think about angle of view. iPad @ 1 foot from your face can be as big as 50" TV 4 meters from you.
    I would say it's refreshing when someone, like an OP, prefer iPad than his HDTV. This is what someone's obsessed with tech spec will never accept.

8. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I love it on the iPad, but the PS3 Netflix coupled with my HDTV look and sound better. The iPad is great for watching stuff when I'm in bed though.

9. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Oh yes, I much prefer watching a movie on a 9.7" screen that isn't even widescreen compared to a 60 inch 720p screen... :rolleyes:

On a train or plane, fine, it's a great alternative, but at home from the comfort of my leather sofa...all I can say is, you can't have a very good 60 inch plasma TV.

10. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

This^

If you have a 60 inch TV that only goes up to 720P, then it must be old. Whats the refresh rate on it? That could be the reason why you find it less enjoyable. Although I do agree with you that sometimes I prefer the personal feeling of watching Netflix on my iPad, the Netflix app sucks though..

11. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

This. The PS3 version of Netflix had their interface revamped some months ago and I like that much more than the iPad interface. That and the fact my TV is bigger and better :p.

I do like the iPad late night in bed though.

12. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was talking about netflix streaming. Not compqring watching blue rays to ipad video streams. I think my samsung netflix streamer actuzlly looks worse and loads slower than on ipad. But the blue rays do look better. But i mostly just stream anyway and its nore co fortable on the ipad.

13. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Xbox 360 & Netflix & 47" Vizio is better than iPad & Netflix. And I love my iPad. what kind of connection do youhave? Are you getting HD frpm Netflix?

14. mkaake macrumors 65816

The screen size doesn't bug me at all (viewing distance and all), but what I can't stand is the variability in quality. Some shows and movies play just fine on my iPad, but there are other times that I cant get a decent stream to save my life, and I constantly have to re-start streaming to see anything other than huge blocks in place of what should be detail. No reason for the drop off in quality, no change in my bandwidth, no one else using it - just sometimes, i can't get a decent stream. And that is just about the most annoying thing in the world. Sometimes you don't even think about it, but the first time you watch a movie on your iPad (one of your own movies, from the video app), and you have constant high quality throughout, you have a little sigh of relief you didn't even know was waiting to come out.

That's my little rant for the night.

Oh, that, and how long it takes to get back to watching a movie if you get an email. I hate (hate!) sitting there wondering if it's worth stopping to check my email when I hear a new message come in, because i know it'll be a solid minute or more to get back to what I was watching.

But the screen size really doesn't bother me all that much.

15. Roadking macrumors 6502

It is easier to share watching a big tv than to share watching an iPad.

16. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Granted I have a lot of movies on my iPad, my Netflix experience is far better on my TV. I don't use my PS3 or my Wii, but through my BD player (Sony BDP-S770)

I don't have a monster of a TV, but my 46" 1080p Bravia does the job perfectly. (KDL-46EX500)

17. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

You could staple it to the ground.

18. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Yeah think different. Lol ok guy

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No.

Netflix on iPad is good for portable video, but you're still talking about a tiny screen that is nowhere near as good as most HDTVs. You're also comparing it to a 720p TV, which is pretty much the minority of models sold today. It may look sharper because I believe there are way more pixels per inch on an iPad compared to a 1080p television about your size -- like 100+ versus 35 -- but we're still talking about a very small screen.

I have used my dad's iPad to watch movies on Netflix while visiting them. But if I had the option of it or even a 32-inch 720p Samsung like I have in my bedroom, I would choose the TV.

If you like the scrubbing feature for Netfliix, get an Apple TV. The iOS app lets you do that for Netflix on there.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

the ps3 does netflix streaming at 1080p with dolby 5.1 surround.

21. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Preference is subjective. If he prefer to watch Netflix *anywhere* he want, then watching on iPad is definitely better, unless you want to drag your HDTV to the garden. If he'd like easier control then touchscreen will beat remote control hands down.
    It's all about your preference. Yes, you should think outside the box.

22. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have Comcast cabld internet and it never does hd on my tv anyway and on the iPad it looks more hd. But even so, on the ipad and the hdtv it constantly has to buffer. And I looked at Comcasts website and they claim to restart or reset my cable box could makeit faster but I did that and it still sucks. It could be my location though or my cheap router as well. So for me on ipad its better. I also have a cheap samsung P1600A BD player that I use for streaming. I have a wii as well but the wii only does sd also.

23. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

24. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

netflix does NOT stream 1080p. please check your facts. the quality is nowhere near that of bluray.