Anyone else thinking of moving from Gmail to iCloud for email/calendar/contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ra4oasis, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I have loved Gmail for years, but being that I'm "all in" with Apple's ecosystem, I am considering the move to iCloud for all that I can, including email, calendars and contacts. Anyone else thinking the same? I know MobileMe sucked, but I mostly heard complaints about the iDisk, which isn't even around anymore. I'm basically thinking about waiting a couple of weeks, and if no big iCloud (.me) email problems come up, then I'll make the switch. Anyone else?

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Nope, I actually did the exact opposite after being with mac.com and MM for years. I simply got tired of the myriad of problems that Apple has had over the years (and the changing of email address from mac.com to me.com), and the change to iCloud (after the MM fiasco) was the last straw (with the potential change in the future from me.com to iCloud.com). I don't really like Google and never have, but I trust them far more than I do Apple when it comes to cloud services. I feel like Apple has let me down one too many times to stick with them.

And no, if you have a MM account then iDisk is still around, although of course it is as slow and useless as always.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Nope, switched to Google Apps after using MM.

Apple killed the ability for me to add my personal domain smtp sever to both webmail client, and the iCloud phone client.

Drove me away by stripping features in the move to iCloud.

So long apple ecosystem. *shrug*

4. killermonkey418 macrumors newbie

I don't know about anybody else but my iCloud is set up with my gmail address anyways.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Same here.

6. urkel, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

I think the OP is talking about using Apple vs Google for your sync database, not just the login name. With iCloud then if you enable contact/calendar/notes sync then you must break your Google sync link so its really one or the other.

Ive been using Gmail to sync all my PIM info for a while on my 2Macs/2iPads and its been perfect but I switched to iCloud yesterday and its a disaster. My address book has quadrupled in size while my calendars were wiped out. I had backups so I just restored on a single system and turned iCloud on one at a time over the span of 4 hours and I think i got it working but we'll see when we add two more iPhones to the mix.

UPDATE: ... and there goes my bookmarks. All of them wiped out by the cloud on all 4 devices.

7. ra4oasis thread starter macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

yeah i'm talking about using iCloud and such, not just what the "username" is. My Gmail account is my login name for now, but like I said, if the next few weeks are smooth enough for people, I'm probably just going to use Apple's tools instead of Google apps. Google has been okay, but I've had a few problems with syncing contacts pictures, getting push mail working, and the deep searching of your email for advertising purposes is slightly creepy.

8. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Nope. Sticking to both my Google accounts. I use Google Apps for my work account including contacts, email, and calendar.

I have a second google account for personal email and contacts.

I will be using iCloud for reminders and photostream, but that is about it.

The only thing I don't like switching from Android, so far, is that there is no easy way for me to add contacts to a particular Google account. For example - If I want to add a contact to my personal gmail, I have to go to settings, contacts, default account and put it on my personal account, then add the contact - kind of a pain.

iCloud looks nice and I am in a total Apple ecosystem.. but Google works perfectly fine and I do not see a compelling argument to make the switch.

9. matty.p macrumors 6502

I actually just recently did this and haven't been happier. I had a school google account and a personal google account. The way Google handles having multiple accounts was driving me crazy, especially when going to sites that are google owned but not part of that core suite, aka youtube, etc. I deleted my entire personal google presence; including G+, it was terrible. I couldn't be happier. I still use google for the school stuff but all my personal account are with iCloud.

10. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm making the switch. However, I will continue to use the gmail as primary so my @me address doesn't get abused.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Hopefully you will stay happy. The issues people seem to be having with iCloud right now (mail is down at the moment) reminds me of MM and I do NOT want to relive that fiasco!

12. matty.p macrumors 6502

Weird just did all my morning e-mail, send and receive, and no issues. It must only be down for a portion of the people using it. :/