Anyone else thinking of picking up a 5G iPod nano before they disappear forever?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by belltree, Sep 9, 2010.

1. belltree macrumors 6502

Sadly, the 6G iPod Nano is not a Nano. It is a Shuffle with a screen. They axed all of the great features that the previous one had. This appears to be the end of the line for the Nano.

Who knows, Apple may come around and bring it back to its former glory come 7G but as it stands now RIP Nano.

I am thinking to go out tomorrow and pick up one or two 5G Nano's before they are gone for good. Anyone else?

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

Who knows, maybe they will ditch the iPod Classic name and resurrect the iPod Video. Imagine, a 160GB iPod with a 720p or even a 1080i camera.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

I do get it. The new Nano is basically a Shuffle with a screen.

Wasn't a fan of the 5G Nano, mainly because I had iPhone already.

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I grabbed a 5th gen off eBay and am very pleased with it. I may eventually pick up a 6th gen Nano because of the size and clip - I can imagine it will be great for running!

Just to remind everyone, just because you dislike a product or think it's useless doesn't mean that everyone else is in agreement.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

And that is the point. They are aiming the new Nano at a market that isn't going to be competing with their own products. They made it better for a certain thing that the iphone/touch can't compete with as well, something very small that stays out of the way. For a market that doesn't need a lot of functionality but needs a lot of easily taken with very little to take it (a pocket or less, like people who work out).

For a market that could use something of it as well as the Touch. Or has no need of the extra functionality.

You aren't that market. You'd be better served with a Touch/iPhone (notice the iphone kept you from buying the nano.. the nano didn't really give you anything better that you needed, in fact it did those things worse. So why are you complaining? You have the product that fits your need. Some of us want something that doesn't sit heavily in the pocket or even better just clips somewhere and is unnoticeable. And for those times we don't need all the functionality of a Touch/iPhone/5th gen Nano).

Anyone who complains about them missing the point of the Nano and yet says they wouldn't buy even the one they claim to like cause they already have a Touch/iPhone is the one who has missed the point themselves. The entire point of changing the nano to this is because otherwise it would be competing (and badly too as the Touch and iPhone would do video/video recording a whole lot better and have a better screen for watching it) with a product they already make. So they aimed it at a different market that doesn't need that extra functionality but does need something the Nano does do better than the Touch/iPhone, be small and out of the way.

7. Numbuh23 macrumors newbie

I ordered a Refurbed Purple 8GB for $99, which to me, is a great deal!

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I've been thinking on the same lines about the Classic. My last classic stillw orks perfectly fine. But it's only 30gbs. NOt enough for my whole music library anymore.

9. billysea macrumors regular

I think you Apple defender and Apple themselves are the ones missing the point of the Nano. Don't act like Apple is always right all the time. It's not the first time they admit failure and gone back to the drawing board (3rd Gen Shuffle, or 3rd Gen Nano to a lesser extent). I found it funny when it comes to Apple, 'missing features' = "streamlining to a different market". Last year Apple defender tried to say the Shuffle need to be "streamlined" and "miniaturized" so they had to take out the buttons, and look what happened now.

The Nano should have all the features of the 5G without the iOS & apps of the iPod Touch - that is the main differentiation point. If the size is a problem then don't make it so small, because then it wouldn't be a Nano.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

No, I'm not defending Apple. I'm defending the new Nano. Mainly cause I like it believe it or not. I have a fifth gen. I had a third gen. I preferred the form of the third gen but there were features of the fifth I liked. This new nano improves what I liked about the third and keeps everything I liked that was added in the fifth. I'm sorry, I hate the stick form, I was annoyed that so few people were willing to give the third gen a chance (it had a far superior form in my opinion as the whole reason I wanted a Nano, not a classic, was for small size that fits in the pocket while still having a lot of space). I still hate the stick form after having one (but I do love the remote and they improved the search UI so it's easier to search for your songs. The clickwheel was annoyingly slow without that fix to scroll through a long library. Shoot, the touch screen is far better tahn even the new clickwheel interface for finding a song quickly. And I liked having a pedometer).

What is it about this forum and people immediately accusing you of just defending apple if you god forbid, actually like one of their products and disagree with people that it's a "failure". I think Apple this time nailed it on the head exactly their market for the nano.

One reason I say this is that I've noticed most people bitching about the new nano are people that in general would be better off with a Touch anyways (if you want video and video playing ability, the Touch will do it far better. And most people I see griping about losing video all say they dont' care about it being tiny, some even going so far as to say the Nano was already too small. The touch really doesn't increase that much in size for all the extra functionality. You want functionality, get that). Why is it so hard to just buy a Touch if that is what you wanted? the bigger screen will serve your purposes far better than that little Nano screen (even on the fifth gen) and honestly, the Touch isn't much bigger (the fifth gen nano is almost as long as my iphone 4!).

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I actually laughed at this. Out loud.

How can Apple miss the point of their own product? They know exactly what they want it to do - they made it.

Unfortunately, I think many people are misunderstanding what it seems as Apple has intended the Nano to be - essentially an "iPod Junior" (at least this is how it appears to me - I could be completely wrong and I'm perfectly okay with that). The Nano is the junior version of every other iPod model (obviously excluding the Shuffle). It has stripped away the erroneous "fluff" in order to provide a form factor device for those looking for something smaller (hence, "Nano"). After trying to cram too much into the previous generations, it's nice they have gone back to what (I believe) was the original purpose for the Nano.

It's an excellent device for those that use them on the go. Quick view to song information, relatively easy control scheme, and a tiny form factor that is unobtrusive when being active (like running) and weighs virtually nothing when clipped to clothing.

Like I've said in several other threads, I'm sorry if you dislike the product. But simply because you dislike it doesn't mean that everyone else is in agreement.

12. xraytech macrumors 68020

Preaching to the Choir.

Oh, by the way. I have a 6G Nano. =D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11032937&highlight=#post11032937

13. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I have an iPhone and a 4G nano because the nano is much better than the iPhone at some things. I'll pick up a 5G before they're all gone.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What things, exactly? The 5G nano sort of jumped the shark with the low resolution video camera. I would argue the 5G Nano treaded into territory the iPhone had covered (watching video media, taking pics/video). If you want music on the go, with playlists and a better interface, and you don't need a phone, the new Nano trumps the 5G. It is, above all, a music device, and it does it well.

15. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Didn't want to repeat myself as I've said it in a couple of forums and don't want to bore your socks off! :)

I use my nano for language learning. I can lean back, close my eyes and concentrate and if I want to repeat something I can easily go back 4 or 5 seconds with just a touch of the click wheel. With my iPhone I have to reopen the screen, tap to bring the scroll bar up and try to slide it back just a bit, which is not that easy. It's not really fine enough to continually repeat the last few seconds if I want to listen to a word a few times over.

EDIT: 4th gen is better than 5th gen for me as the clickwheel has moved further and further down the nano as the screen has got larger. The position on the 1st gen was perfect for me.

16. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I might pick one up yeah, i like being able to change songs without having to get it out of my pocket.

17. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

The 6th gen nano wasn't for me, so I ordered a 5th gen last week before they are all gone. I'm very happy with it.

18. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i went to my local best buys looking for the 6th gen and they had plenty of 5th

19. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

I was...
    TBH I'm now more thinking of looking for a previous gen touch if it's sold cheaply enough to justify. I need the Nike+ and BT (and storage space), which would make any Nano rather more cumbersome after attaching the required dongle.

I really thought they'd add at least one wireless option to the new device; Nike+ chips are obviously small and cheap enough to be built into everything else that uses them, and BT has been the subject of iPod discussions for years.

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

The 5th gen iPod nano is probably the most feature-packed nano that Apple has ever made so far. For the purist, I say pick it up. It may never get that longer profile anymore. Alot can be found off Craigslist. Personally, I have never cared too much with the nano, but I can understand the ones who exercise with it.

The line that will die out soon is really the iPod classic. The original iPod form factor that started it all. No update this year. If you have a very large music library in your iTunes and don't mind the lower video resolution for TV shows and movies, that is the one to get. Five years ago, I was purchasing a 30GB iPod for $299. Now for $50 cheaper, we get 160GB! That is weeks and weeks of entertainment great for the long run.