Anyone else thinks there is an untapped size between the iPad Air and the Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wiesenlooser, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Having used the ipad pro for some time, the air really feels cramped. But the pro just isn't the right size for me, mainly because of the weight.

To me it really seems like the ipad air could gain an inch or 1 1/2 to be the perfect device. Am I the only one here?

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

comming from a regular ipad to a Pro i cant go back. for me my 'old' ipad now feels most obsolete and 'toy' like.

but, the Pro for me personally is perfecto. infact, even an inch or 2 bigger would be nice. but that said, it is too unwieldy for general bed/couch/slobbing about (i only use it for business) . i'm now thinking of a mini4. never done minis before. the way smaller size just seems more appealing for some reason than a regular ipad / ipad pro inbetweener for some reason for casual and vacation use.

4. Wiesenlooser, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015

Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

and why is that no reason for apple to go for it?

I don't know though. I have always looked at the 12" macbook screen size and thought it would be the perfect size for an ipad... the pro just seems to be too big and the air too small for my taste. I mean the pro is almost double the size of the air.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sure and then people would really complain about Apple's product lines being too bloated ala the 1990s.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

10" is about the perfect size, its not too big (or heavy like the IPP), its not too small (like the mini for movie watching)..
    So to many id guess the iPad Air will continue to be the main stay..

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have both. Pro needs apps to make better use of the display.

8. rkuo macrumors 6502a

4:3 aspect ratio is perfect. If they expanded the screen out so that the current iPad was bezel free, I think the form factor would be perfect for a hybrid tablet product. But I don't think the current physical size of the entire tablet should get much larger.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see the need for an in between size.

10. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

You're right. Apple should release iPad's for each whole inch number between the iWatch and the 27" iMac. I mean, if there is even a single consumer for each one, it qualifies as an untapped market.

Economies of scale be damned.

11. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

But the MacBook is just 12.2" vs the Pro's 12.9". There really isn't a huge difference.

Personally I think the screen size on the Pro is perfect, it just needs to be brought down to a pound so it'll be a little more wieldly.

12. cornerexit macrumors regular

Totally (respectfully) disagree about being unwieldy. It is without the Smart Cover, but with, works perfectly for couch/bed surfing. I mean ideal. This is a game changer for me, and could be a do it all device.

I picked up my air, and yes, it feels like a mini now, and a toy. No going back for me. IMO, ideal size, would be 1" less but I'm not complaining one iota.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

If Apple used a 326ppi screen, they could make an iPad with the Pro's resolution that is about 10.5". I don't see it as a separate product, but potentially a replacement for the iPad Air 2-3 generations out.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Having used an iPP and now a Surface Pro 4, I do find the surface's 12.3" form factor less clumsy to carry around.

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I have both and the iPad Pro dwarfs my rMB considerably and it's not even close. The same goes for my 13" rMBP.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's interesting how one inch makes a huge difference... (that's what she said ;))

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Consider the thickness of the bezel.

18. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Frankly I think this can be a non ending quest to find the 'perfect' sized iPad.

2010 the iPad size was perfect.
    2 years later many thought the mini was the perfect sized iPad.
    1-2 years after that, the IPad Airs were released, and then many thought the slimmer side bezels made the iPad overall size again ideal, and preferable to the mini.
    This year, for many the Airs have become ridiculously small due to the release of the Pro.

Our perception of what is ideal/preferable/unacceptable is constantly changing.

you might think an 11-12" iPad would be ideal now, only until the next version is released, at which point you might change your mind.

Enjoy the iPad options you have now.

19. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Part of the problem are the Massive bezels the Ipad pro has, I'm sure they could make it better down the line but it's a problem even Iphones have at the moment (Devices with bigger screens but much smaller bodies etc)

20. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It seems you've answered your own question. You don't really need an in-between size, you just need a lighter iPad Pro. And I agree. But this is a first-gen iPad Pro, I'm sure the 2nd generation will be more ergonomic.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Once and if iPads regain their old appeal, then enhancing the line might work. Currently there's just too many uncertainties.

22. friedmud macrumors 65816

I gotta disagree here... the iPad pros bezels couldn't really get much smaller... There would be no way to hold it at all...

23. bjavor macrumors newbie

I think that's Samsung's strategy normally... :)

24. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I wouldn't say it's almost double the size. The Air is about 10" and the Pro is about 13". That's far from almost double. If there was anything in between those two sizes there would be little reason to go with the Pro unless Apple had Pro-exclusive features.

25. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

One very good reason for Apple not to "go for it" would be that developer support for the iPP's screen size/resolution has already been slow going; adding yet another variable to account for dilutes the hardware lineup even more and makes developer support that much more frustrating.

Creating a huge swath of variable screen sizes just introduces complications along with diminishing returns. The likelihood is that Apple is going to focus on the iPP as their premium tablet and you won't see any other screen sizes from them, at least for a while. Shrinking bezels, on the other hands, is almost a guarantee.

1.3x is not really "almost" 2x.