Anyone else use a 3.5mm aux cord to listen to music in their cAr from iphone?Quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Mar 3, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hear a noise And it's worse on some songs. I got the iphone so I didn't need a mp3 player and phone. So this is a little upsetting unless it's just my phone.

Also on the topic of cords. I need a longer wall charger. Is it really necessary to get an apple brand. What about a 3rd party brand or one off eBay?also would buyin a higher voltage one or an iPad one charge it any faster?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Have you tried plugging in something other than your iPhone to test the cable? What happens when you plug in headphones to your iPhone - does it sound fine?

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ya headphones do. I'll try later and pay extra attention. Maybe it's just something wrong with mine. I also notice a lot worse if my iphone volume is not at the max

4. kolax macrumors G3

Headphones do what? Do sound normal or they do too have the noise?

5. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

I'm sorry normal from what I remember. But I'll listen really closely in a bit. But when it's hooked to my car it isn't terrible. But I can hear some background noise. And if I remove my iphone volume from anything but full I hear A LOT of background noise

6. kolax macrumors G3

Is it a hissing like sound? And when you say if you turn the volume down on the iPhone you hear the background/hiss noise much more, is that just when it is plugged into your car?

7. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Yes. Hissing. When I have headphones in I never have it all the way up. But in my car I keep the volume all the way up. Is this normal?

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Noise can come from the iPhones cell transmitter or from engine interference. Try to isolate the cause:

- put iPhone on Airplane mode and then hook it up to car stereo. Listen for noise.
    - turn off car engine, put car ignition in AUX mode and then try your setup.
    - are you using a lighter plug charger with iPhone at same time? If so, unplug it and listen to sound quality that way.

Once you've isolated the conditions that create the hissing sound it will be easier to suggest a fix.

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Could be poor earthing or general noise in the car's electrical system... use a cable with a ferrite bead in it, see if that gets rid of the problem (cable with a cylindrical shaped thing in the wire).

e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Reducing-SmartPhone-including-iPhone/dp/B0031U1ATQ

Failing that, it's always best to use the dock connector, my brother uses one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/through-portable-quality-line-out-Charger/dp/B005D5B2OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330783190&sr=8-1