Anyone else using Spotify?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Not gonna lie, it's the best $9.99 that I spend every month.

Honestly, screw iTunes Match. This isn't just a plug for the app, Spotify has literally changed my everyday usage with music.

I was worried about data usage, but you can make offline playlists, that saves the songs to your phone for use when you are out of network range. Or you can "download" the songs (it downloads as it streams) on 3G and find any music you want, anytime you want.

Honestly, I used to hear songs on the radio that I haven't heard and I would forget about them before I had the chance to add them when I got home. I just download right there now, it's amazing.

I would recommend this to ANY and ALL music lovers.

Just my experience with Spotify, anyone else have it and love it?

2. shandyman Suspended

Been using it for nearly a year, it's great. offline playlists are great and if i hear a song when i'm out, i can get it on the go. Simples.

3. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Tried it. Hated it, deleted it. big bunch hype for what it is. especially at $120 a year.
    Very un user friendly

4. andrew8404 macrumors regular

So far I really love it but I have yet to spend the 9 bucks a month. I really miss owning my music but I love the fact that I can get music for free.

5. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I know man, it's like changed my life. All it needs is a built in Shazam type app for song recognition. It would save me some space on my springboard haha.
    I don't quite know what you mean by un user friendly? You search for a song and add it to whatever playlist you want. It doesn't get much easier than that. It also syncs to your computer automatically or manually without cables. It's easy as pie.

And the price depends on your level of music downloading I suppose. I was downloading 5 albums a month on average, about $50. Spotify saves me $40 bucks a month on average. I'll take that anyday.

----------

That's the worst feeling, truly. Owning music is much better, but if you downloaded/bought as much music as I did, $9 is a steal. You gotta pay the $9 and get the smartphone version, it is WAY more useful than just the desktop version IMHO.

6. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

Even though I don't use it on my phone..I do have it on my MBP and use it a ton. Its a great little app but I haven't been able to justify the $9.99 a month.

7. shandyman Suspended

look at soundhound, same as shazam, but you can even just hum and then choose to play in spotify

8. lionqueen macrumors 6502

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

For road trips and travel, Spotify is amazing. However, when I'm not traveling I just keep the $4.99/mo plan.

10. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I love Spotify. It is a fantastic program. The offline playlists are kinda weird on my phone. It has to re-syc every so often, but other wise, it works great. Sound quality on the premium version is better than Pandora. I listen to music all day for work, so i to go through alot of it. The variety is defiantly great.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I plan to use it when I get the iPhone 5. Sometimes it is better than paying all that money for songs on iTunes. I had a Zune before and loved the Zune pass, so Spotify sounds good to me.

12. rick98761 macrumors 6502

If they did a few things I would use it
    Much more. First they need to make it easier to browse your library like iTunes. That massive list is terribly unfriendly. Also some form of music discovery. As it is I find myself just listening to stuff I owned mostly.

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I had it for 2 months, and I will get it again. The radio feature i guess it had in Europe would be awesome. I don't think we are keeping XM so I need something to replace that. I have some wonder radio stations I listen to too.

Mobile music is an evolving thing around here....

14. ankitsid macrumors member

combined with Shazam and Soundhound Spotify is a music monster!

15. tann macrumors 68000

I used it for about 5 months earlier this year, then I realised normally I wouldn't spend £10 a month on music (let alone £120 a year!!). So I cancelled.

Might get Unlimited again rather than premium though. We'll see.

16. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Music lovers dream. Exactly what I have been waiting for. Love it.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Been using Spotify for a long time now.

Probably my favourite feature is your music library anywhere, streamed. If a friend is having a party in his apartment, the usual protocol would be bringing your iPod or iPhone with a playlist of songs that you'll put on at some point. Trouble is, you have to worry about your iPod/iPhone.

Beauty of Spotify in this scenario (assuming the host's computer is present and hooked up to speakers in the room, which there always is at parties I've been to), you just log in to Spotify and start playing your playlists. You can leave it, and not have to worry.

Of course, it's great for parties for the reason that anyone can put any song on (assuming it is in Spotify's library). The adverts are very minor nuisance which I'm happy to tolerate.

18. CorbinDallas macrumors member

Been using Spotify for about a month now. It's definitely nice to have a lot of music at your fingertips, but the sound quality (at least on the free version) is terrible.

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Me too. I've been using the free account for about a month now and I'm loving it so far. But I havent been able to justify the $9.99 monthly price either. When I need it I'll purchasevit.

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't use Spotify, I use rdio and when I compared the two I didn't see that much of a difference so I just stayed with rdio. I haven't let rdio replace the fact that I like to purchase and own cd's as well, but rather I use it as a tool to help be decide and discover new and old music to buy.

If I hear a song on Pandora that I like (or if a friend recommends an artist), I would then search for that artist on rdio and listen to a few albums of theirs and if I like them enough I will actually go out and buy their albums. In my town we have a music store called "Rasputin" and they have a large collection of used albums for $1.99-$4.99 (I've even found many new albums that have been out less than 4 weeks already in the used section for 1/3 of the original cost).

21. Sme, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

Sme macrumors newbie

I perfer to get some way that i can get the music with one time pay. I think it may be better that i can download music from spotify than other way. yeah?

22. keatth macrumors 6502

I had it for a while but then I wasn't listening to any new songs so I saved all my playlist offline so I can play them in offline mode, I went into offline mode in the app then I cancelled my Spotify service. I never went back online within the app so the app still thinks I have a membership, I can play all the playlist I saved to the phone offline and now I don't have to pay $10 a month for it. :).

23. eagleglen, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I've had Spotify for over a year and love it, well worth the $9.99/mo. Whenever I'm just hanging out with friends, I'll pull out my Bluetooth speaker and put on some tunes. It's fun to ask people what they want to hear and almost always being able to play the song they want. Being able to puts songs in a queue was also nice, before Apple added the feature to their app.

24. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I recently subscribed after the free 1 month trial and I love it - offline playlists is great. I wouldn't pay the full £9.99 a month though.. but as I'm a student I get it for £4.99 a month which is why I've subscribed :D.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't use it. The last thing I want is a monthly fee to listen to music.