Anyone else very disappointed that snowboarding/skiing season is over?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Mar 17, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Is anyone else very disappointed that snowboarding and skiing season is over? :(

I live in Pennsylvania where it hardly snows anymore. All of our resorts are pretty much closed :(

I think next year I will be living out west where they get to snowboard into June!

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Nope because :

- Skiing season ain't over yet. 3 weeks to go here.
    - When skiing season is over, Motorcycle season starts.

Ain't never a season I don't have a grin plastered all over my face when outdoors. :D

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I suppose my lack of snowboarding season can justify me buying a kayak and enjoying summer ;)

I've been eyeing kayaks every since I had my first kayaking experience in Milford Sound, New Zealand back in 2009.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Arapahoe Basin usually goes until mid to late April here in Colorado.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm so tempted to take a trip out there. Sadly the friend I would be going with can only get 1 day off of work so it would be an expensive trip.

I went out there with him and a few other friends in February to Winter Park. It was AMAZING to be on real mountains! One of Winter Park's shortest trails was roughly 10 times longer than one of Pennsylvanias longest trails (Mambo Alley to Run Out at Blue Knob). I was also in heaven with the 4.5 feet of powder! Everyone on that trip wanted to move out to Colorado, me included.

Also everyone there is SUPER friendly!

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Whistler-Blackcomb, BC

Scheduled to stay open 'til late May this year, then they switch to summer activities. However, the glacier is open for skiing all summer. So, in essence - it never closes.

Two years ago W/B had the longest vertical drop in North America at just over 1 mile - not sure who's got that record now. That's the height of the top of the run above the bottom. The longest run is listed at 7 miles.

If you really want to be jealous.

The city of Vancouver is 125 km (just about 70miles) south of W/B. Within or adjoining the Vancouver Metro boundaries are another 3 ski hills. At least 1 or 2 of them are accessible by normal local transit.

The terrain at the city hills is rugged enough that every year several people ski outside the bounds, and get lost, and spend the night or 3 nights in the woods waiting to be rescued. Sometimes within sight of the city lights. Every couple of years someone gets lost badly enough they die. Within several kilometres of a major city, with one of North America's best volunteer SAR teams looking for them (they're good because they get to practice so much).

Heck, the terrain is so rugged in the 1950's a commercial airliner disappeared on the landing approach. They finally found it, but accident, about 15 years ago. The hikers called it in by cell-phone, and could see the city from the little rise they topped to get a cell phone signal.

And those are the city hills. Imagine what the terrain at W/B is like?

Yet the weather is mild enough through the summer that you can go sailing all year round, and it's often suitable to go golfing. So, ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon, and then pop into your sailboat and go for cruise.

Spoiled? Nah..... :)

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Colorado is amazing, we moved here from Florida in 2005. I never want to live anywhere else.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm going snowboarding at Copper Mountain next weekend. :p

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In a few months you'll be able to jump across to this side of the equator and do it all again :p

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I am. I only skied a couple of times this season and one of them I was teaching my 3 year old nephew to ski. I'm paying for a ski instructor for him next time. :eek:

10. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm tempted! I LOVE New Zealand and want to go back. It may be my "finally graduating college after 10 years of it" gift to myself this summer ;)

I'm super jealous!!! I've seriously thought about moving out there. Its AMAZING. You'll have to take pics of Copper Mountain and post them in the community thread so I can drool over them :p

Whistler is definitely on my hit list. I tried to get a group together this year but no one could get enough time off (except for me, go figure). I will definitely be going there next year. My snowboard is yearning for it!

I only got to go a few times this year too :( I should say a few good times this year. I spent a lot of the time teaching others to snowboard as well which pretty much ruins the day (but on the upside, gives you more friends to go with when they get good, which is why I do it). I live in Central PA and we literally had nothing this year snow wise. So much for my $625 season pass to Blue Knob :(

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry boys, I hate to brag..........wait a second, no I don't! I love to brag!:p

But I've actually gone at least once a month since December. My family went twice in December and January, once February, and we are going for two nights next week. About 8 days so far. It is the most we have gone in a year since we moved here.:cool:

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ahh how sweet it is having a season pass to copper/winter park:D

going up tomorrow actually!

13. sauced macrumors regular

Yup. Haven't had a chance to go all season, and won't have time either in the next few weeks. It really sucks since I live in Calgary and there are a lot of great places nearby.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

At least you got to go out this season :( I didn't even get one chance to head out to the mountain. So pissed. Think I'll just take a month off or something next year to make up for it.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's over? <looks out window in Anchorage> No it isn't. ;)

Back east the picture is much more bleak, of course. Slushy and warm.

16. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm so jealous of all you people who still have snow! :D

I actually went more than a few times this year, probably 20 times or more but since our trails in PA are super short (the longest one I know of is a mile) it takes me like 8 trips to make up for one awesome day in Colorado or similar places :p

I've been seriously thinking about moving near a ski resort (I'm single, now unemployed (by choice, to finish school) and will graduate in August so its completely doable.)

I could seriously snowboard all day every day.

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

But that means it's almost mountain biking season (although I suppose you can go any time of year), surely that has to be a good thing?! :D

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

When I lived in Banff/Lake Louise I knew a fellow who worked at the Post Hotel (if memory serves) who spent the winter skiing (and teaching skiing). In the spring he moved to New Zealand for their winter and worked in a hotel and skied and taught. In the Fall he would return to Lake Louise. I don't know how many years he had been commuting, but I don't think he had seen a summer's day in years and years. I'm pretty sure he didn't own any shorts for flip-flops.... :D

19. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

That sounds like a great time! I don't mind summer, and I like doing some summer things but I'm a winter person.

20. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

It's not over anytime soon here in California--we're supposed to get several feet of snow up in the Sierra Nevada mountains east of where I live. :)

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I worked a season down here in Australia, followed by one at Lake Louise.

One of the maintenance workers at the hotel I worked at here was on his 60th straight winter. He'd been wintering in Oz/NZ then North America/Europe for 30 straight years. Amazing.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

tl;dr (okay, I'm being lazy today ;)).

In response to the OP, I didn't get to go this season again. My Rossi B2's are hanging in my garage barking at me to put them on. Oh well, till next season.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm actually happy to see the snow disappear and I'm looking forward to spring. I hate the winter and so now that its nearly behind us. I'm anxious to see the warm weather.

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

Where in Lake Louise did you work? I spent a summer at Deer Lodge, behind the Chateau, and did a winter/spring/summer at Banff Rocky Mtn Resort.

Then moved to Windsor, Ontario. Flatter than the prairies, Windsor is. The side of a highway overpass was the best tobogganing hill in town. Lasted 6 months before moving to the west coast. Haven't skied in years, but I got some days in at Blackcomb/Whistler.

Friend of mine lived a few years in Fernwood BC (where there is a very nice small ski resort.) He says they get something like 11 or 12 metres of snow (36ft) annually. Wow.