Anyone else want smartphones to get heavier and sturdier and not lighter and thinner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Nov 24, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but is there anyone else who wants iPhones and other smart phones to get heavier and sturdier instead of lighter and thinner?

There is always so much emphasis on portability, but when something it too portable and weightless, it just feels cheap and flimsy and feels like it could break at any moment. Not to mention easier to lose.

I think the 4 and 4S were just the right weight and thickness. They have a mass to them and aren't wafer thin, which is a plus. I would like them to have a bigger screen, but not if it means the phone will be even lighter and thinner and I can't operate it with a single hand using only my thumb.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but was just curious if anyone felt the same way.

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I want phones to be big.

Imagine two iPhone 4/4Ss stacked ontop of each other. That's what I want. Why? More battery. A HUGE extra battery. Just think about how nice that'd be.... You could leave tethering on all day, game, watch movies... Ohhhh baby

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The thinner and lighter, the better for me. The lifetime of smart phones is only about 2 years. I don't need them to last a long time.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I can't say I want bigger but if the design calls for a bit more weight because of quality components I'm fine with that.

5. dickdaney macrumors regular

I don't want a phone to become as thin as the iPod touch, but I have larger hands.

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree, that's why the Samsung SGS2 feels like its a really cheap phone. All plastic and too light to my liking. I'm not saying its a crappy phone but it just feels like it is.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I like my phone with some weight to it. It gives a sense of a premium feeling. HTC phones have a more premium feeling than Samsung phones.

8. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Sturdier, yes, heavier, no. Lighter is better because it won't break easily. If it's heavy, it will break easily.

9. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Phones are like women. Thin is good, fat is bad.

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Ha!!! Nice!

11. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I think they're near the "sweet spot".

I want a thin/light phone with durability. As long as the battery is on par with usage then I don't need it to last 3-4 days on a charge with decent use. I throw it on the charger when I go to sleep anyways. 2 days, maybe, at the most if I forget.

I like the size/shape of the 4/4S and keeping it in that sort of dimension with a larger screen is what I'm looking for.

I don't want it to get any thinner, really. I owned the RAZR for a week, and the thin nature + slightly wide sides just was weird to me.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

The only reason I would put up with a thicker/heavier phone is for a bigger battery...

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think the iPhone 4/S is already a good mix of thin and solid/heavy. (at least in comparison to my 3GS).

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Lol nice ... Now how about the owner? :D

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I would not want a phone to be thick a heavy. I love that the iPhone is thin and light. I use to have a nextel phone that was really thick and it was annoying because I could only use it with a belt clip and it would get caught on everything.

16. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Seriously OP...if you don't like how small/thin your iPhone 4 or 4s is...put a bumper on it and it'll feel WAY bigger, more solid in your hands...

I never put a bumper on the black 4 I had...couldn't deal with it, just didn't like it that much. Ever since my white 4s, I can't live without having a bumper on it, it just feels WAY too tiny in my hands. I know they're the exact same size, except a .1 of gram in weight difference (or whatever the actual figure is) but I just can't go back to holding a naked iPhone anymore...it has nothing to do with wanting to protect it (not that I actively try to hurt it lol) it just has to do with the way a naked iPhone feels in the hands these days.

17. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

18. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

A phone should be as light as possible without compromising durability. You get used to a light phone, even if you at first think things like flimsy etc. It's all in your mind.

19. AlohaMaui macrumors member

The plastic in the Samsung phones is lighter and more durable than the glass on the iphone4.

OP can always use this phone as a holder!
    [​IMG]

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Give me lighter and thinner!