Anyone else who will hesitate to upgrade to new iPhone because they love 4/4s design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koigirl, May 15, 2012.

1. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I keep my white 4s in a case at all times (and I have many, many cases:D) because I'm clumsy and prone to dropping it but every time I take it out of its case I think, "D___, what a work of art!". I know many criticize the fragility or don't like the design but I think it is just lovely in form, feel, etc., with the glass/aluminum, shape, and weight of it. It just exudes quality and top-shelf design. I don't feel that way about my other various iPads or former iPhone designs.

I'm sure I will upgrade to latest and greatest iPhone next fall/winter for LTE and hopefully larger screen but it will be hard to set my beautiful 4s aside.:)

2. iPhalandrew macrumors member

i completely agree with you on how much i love the design of the 4/4S and that epic feeling you get when you take it out of the case.....but it's been almost a good 2 years since the iPhone 4 was released, and i think it's time to change thing up a bit.

3. MasterTick macrumors 6502

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If my contract allowed it, I would do this as well. I trust Jony Ive not to put out an ugly phone, as long as it's not a circular one

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Honestly, i'm going to have to be really impressed this year just to stick with iPhones. The new design and features have to be crazy awesome, and iOS 6 needs to step up its game for me to want to stick around.

Otherwise i'll be heading towards android or WP most likely.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It'll be interesting to watch the reaction, especially if it's wildly different. People can be really fickle.

Longtime members here remember when the first pictures of the iPhone 4 began to leak, and half the forum claimed that "Apple would never make something that looked like that", and derisively compared it to the industrial looking Zune.

It wasn't until it was certain that it was an actual Ive design, that the naysayers suddenly changed their tune to words of admiration.

Can't wait for the first leak of the latest model.

7. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I've always felt the iPhone 4(s) remains the nicest design in terms of pure looks of any phone on the market today. However, when it comes to ergonomics, thats a different conversation.

Regardless, I have an iPhone 4s with Sprint even though I often carry my EVO simply because I appreciate the design so greatly that I wanted to own one anyways.

I fully expect the iPhone 5 to be every built as well designed, however it might not be as attractive to my eye as the iPhone 4 is.

Would that change my purchase decision? Not at all, if it's a worthy enough performance upgrade I will buy one.

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Nope, I liked the 3gs/3g deign over the current one.

9. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I don't have a source for this, but even the designer at Samsung said he wasn't on Jony Ive's level. The next iPhone will be EPIC! :D

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm sure it won't bother me at all, but I'm gettin Apple comes with the goods in terms of matching iPhones 4's elegance.

11. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

With iOS 6 they will probably add turn by turn gps and say they reinvented GPS...lol...but Im gonma stick with my 4S for a while

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Might've been me... :eek:

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

14. longpath macrumors member

longpath

I have a 4S in a LifeProof case, and I have more than a little suspicion that when the new model is available, there will be no watertight cases available, so I am staying with my 4S. I might upgrade my wife from a 4 to a 4S, however, getting a refurb or closeout.

15. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

aside from the 'clumsy' part, I wholly agree.

16. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

iPhone 4 design

I admit I was on of the ones that thought the leaked photos were fake and it was ugly. But I have to admit I really loved the design after seeing it in person and still love the way it looks. It took a while to get used to not having a curved back but all was good after a little bit.

17. koigirl, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I like the fact that 4/4s is very different and distinctive from other phones in shape. I also like Lumia 910 for the mere fact that it is different than anything else. I hope new iPhone doesn't resemble Samsung Galaxy I,Iii,III which looks nice but like every other smart phone (and is eerily similar to earlier iPhones IMO :rolleyes:).

I'm hoping Jony Ive outdoes himself. He is obviously worth whatever Apple pays him!

18. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Nope, none at all.

Design is pretty enough, pretty fragile! I think it is a lovely design.

I am also considering jumping ship to SSGX3 if I like how it works. Ain't the prettiest but at least I won't have to handle it like its fragile crystal.

Sammy's new phone may be a bit uggums, but if it works well and does what I want it to. I will switch for a change.

I am sure Apple will come up with something stunning enough to make me regret it but if it's the same design I won't feel to crushed for switching.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!
    Ya see, that was before I knew the gaps were for the antenna...

20. matttye macrumors 601

The next iPhone might look the same and, if not, it might look better.

Reserve judgement until you actually see it! :p

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Pretty much sums up my feelings.

22. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

The 4S is the first iPhone I could honestly see myself keeping for the contract duration.

That said, once I see the new iPhone and Jailbreak becomes available it'll be on like Donkey Kong.

The 4S, however, IS the best looking iPhone to date though.

23. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Nope. Whatever comes next I'm ordering first chance I get.

I do love the iPhone 4 design though, and I'm certainly not getting rid of my current one. I also still have my 3G as a backup phone.

24. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

The 4S is nice, but if the 5 is nicer it just makes sense to get it.

Why wait? Sell your old iphone for $300+, pay full price for your new iphone5 for $600+. $600-$300=$300. That's how much you would pay when your contract is up anyway. Then when your contract is up get the 5S or 6 or an extra phone. Or if it's still the iphone 5, sell it for $400+ new in box/unopened and make $100 give or take. When it's all said and done you paid ~$200 for a new iphone 5 without worrying about your contract or waiting.

25. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p