Anyone else with a tick coming from the fan @2500 RPM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AreanFSL, May 2, 2008.

1. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone -

I've had my MBA for close to 6 weeks, it is a week 10 built Air. Everything is perfectly fine except for the little ticking noise that is coming from the fan @ 2500 RPM.
    It always occurs when I first turn the Air on. However, once the fans kick in @ 6200 RPM and shortly go back to 2500 RPM the noise is gone for approx 5-10 min. THEN, the tick goes back to it's loud state. It sounds like someone is sticking a playing card in the fan very gently.

I've taken it to the Apple Genius bar and he was a complete waste of time. He worked the CPU by typing YES in the terminal and saying everything is fine and he can't replicate the noise..
    My question is what can I do to resolve this problem? I don't want a refurb MBA as they MIGHT give me, all I want is this problem fixed.. I am going to try another Genius Bar in a different city. Any one else with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

My MBA's hard drive sometimes makes an audible single tick every now and then. Had a MBP that occasionally did that too.

So since yours is the fan, it's a tick-tick-tick-tick-tick sound?

3. wolfie macrumors regular

what macbook model?
    ive heard other users hear it but its the hard drive, you might be mistaken it?

only other thing i can think of some rubbish paticles entered the venting slots and sat close to the fans and so it hits it when it spins?

4. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Nothing with mine though and have had it since 02/05/2008, and it's a Week 03 production model.

5. AreanFSL thread starter macrumors 6502

No definitely not the hard drive click. I do get that occasionally.
    This is purely coming from the fan. It a very distinct audible sound specifically from the fan. It can be that particles went up through the vent. However, when I first got my MBA this sound was not there. I've taken extreme great care of my MBA and rarely take it outside my house.
    I appreciate the feedback. I will most probably take it to another genius bar until they do something about it.

6. AreanFSL thread starter macrumors 6502

I took my MBA to a apple genius and I explained to them my problem..
    The mac genius didnt even look or listen for my problem. All she did is ship it in for repair. I am air-less for 5-7 days, hopefully earlier. So hopefully they'll treat my MBA with care and not charge me anything.
    Anyone else send their MBA in for service?

7. AreanFSL thread starter macrumors 6502

Great News!

Great news! I visited the apple store Genius Bar & explained my problem. I received my MBA back with the following service description and parts used; "607-2476 THERMAL MOD W/FAN ASSY, ALT, M82."
    I guess they re-applied thermal paste and changed the fan assembly.

The sound now has completely vanished and is in it's new condition.
    Except for the minors, came back with a looser screen. Not as tight as before but, that was bound to happen.

Cheers!

8. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Great to hear it's fixed, but why would the screen be necessarily looser? They didn't need to go anywhere near it!

9. StayWhatYouAre macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting about this, mines started doing the exact same thing - was silent at 2500 when i got it , then last week started making the noise while at 2500 (which went away after 15 minuets - sometimes longer)

trip to the apple store for me i think :) - although apart from that its perfect...

Ads.