Anyone else wondering how long it's going to take to charge the new iPad up?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Seems the old iPad 2 took long enough to charge up, but the new one's battery is what, 70% larger? Ugh. Just thought of it now, and it'll be a minor adjustment, I'm sure...

C

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I guess it depends on individual's usage patterns, but I've never had to recharge my iPad during the day. When I got the first iPad I remember running it 10 hours straight just because I was so excited. But in reality I may use it on and off about 4-6 hours a day. I then leave it charging overnight and I usually have 40% or so left anyway.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For the amount of time it will take me to transfer all of my apps onto the new 64gb one (my current iPad 2 64gb has 6 gigs free), I bet it will be fully charged via the USB port by then :)

That's going to be the antsiest hour and a half ever for me, haha!

That being said, I could probably stand to remove 2/3rds of the games I have on there until I'm actually ready to play them. :)

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
For the amount of time it will take me to transfer all of my apps onto the new 64gb one (my current iPad 2 64gb has 6 gigs free), I bet it will be fully charged via the USB port by then :)

That's going to be the antsiest hour and a half ever for me, haha!

That being said, I could probably stand to remove 2/3rds of the games I have on there until I'm actually ready to play them. :)
First world problems. Have to spend 200$'s extra for space on an iPad because there are too many .99 cent games on there haha

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I wonder if the new iPad will come with a slightly higher amperage charger.
Oh God, I hope not! It sucked having to buy multiple new chargers for my other iPad; I'd hate to have to do that again.

So the old one was said to take 3 to 5 hours to fully charge from the included charger. At 70% greater capacity, that's another 2.1 to 3.5 hours, so 5 to 8.5 hours to charge... Assuming nothing else changes.

And I agree about the charging overnight, but for whatever reason, I usually throw my onto the charger at around 50%. I guess I like to make sure it's charged and ready to go if I want to read all evening or something. Maybe I need to relax and let go :)

C

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Oh God, I hope not! It sucked having to buy multiple new chargers for my other iPad; I'd hate to have to do that again.

So the old one was said to take 3 to 5 hours to fully charge from the included charger. At 70% greater capacity, that's another 2.1 to 3.5 hours, so 5 to 8.5 hours to charge... Assuming nothing else changes.

And I agree about the charging overnight, but for whatever reason, I usually throw my onto the charger at around 50%. I guess I like to make sure it's charged and ready to go if I want to read all evening or something. Maybe I need to relax and let go :)

C
If it comes with a new charger, you should still be able to use old iPad 2 chargers, they will just take longer for a full charge.