Anyone elses power cord have the green light go out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SurferMan, Jul 19, 2012.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Just realized today the light on my cord was out but the computer was still running on it and not the battery. Played with the cord and the light went back on, certain movement makes it go off though like something is loose/shorting, but doesn't seem to affect charging or remaining on wall power.

2. Pupator macrumors member

I noticed this yesterday on mine, but it wasn't because the cable was loose. The laptop had fully charged (to 100%) and the light went off and stayed off. The battery status icon indicated that it was plugged in but "not charging." it stayed that way for about 30 minutes, turned orange for a few minutes, and then back to green. No amount of disconnecting and reconnecting or fiddling with the wire changed anything.

3. traumuhhtize macrumors member

Yes it's happened to me before on my late 2008 MacBook.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

It can happen from time to time that the light goes out altogether for no obvious reason. Also once I had one show a red light (not the orange charging light, it was actually red). There was nothing wrong with the battery, MBP or charger though, as I used it for years afterwards. Unless there's some other specific issue with the battery life or charging speed, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

The same happens to me repeatedly. True, there is no effect on charging. And it is a relatively new MacBook Pro Late 2011.

6. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Yeah, that used to happen once in a while with my late '08 BlackBook... It was charging, but the light would go out.

7. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

Happened with my 2006 MacBook 1,1. It was the first sign that the adapter cable was braking-down internally (due to mishandling), eventually leading to the cable burning-through.

Not implying that it's the same cause as your issue, but just putting the inf' out there.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

My 2010 MacBook Magsafe was doing the same. Brought it to Apple and they replaced with a shiny new one.

9. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

yeh weird... guess I'll see what happens. My other cord for the 15 is fine but the one for the 13" is doing it, late 09/early10 can't remember lol. If it stops working guess I can see if Apple will replace it, pry won't since it's far out of warranty.

10. chardz88 macrumors newbie