Anyone ever had surgery to repair a torn meniscus? What was your experience like?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jul 22, 2016.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, I screwed up my knee, and the MRI results are in, torn meniscus. The orthopedic doc recommended arthroscopic surgery to repair it, and he made it sound like it was a cakewalk. Quick, outpatient surgery, a couple days in bed while I recover, then I'll take it easy for a few weeks and it'll be as good as new. Anyone ever had this procedure done and was that your experience? I'm trying to wedge the surgery in between a couple trips I have coming up, so if I can do it the week after I get back from a work trip, that leaves 4 weeks until I go to Amsterdam where I will surely be doing a ton of walking. Doctor doesn't think it'll be an issue, but I want to hear from others who had it, were you back to your old self after just a few weeks?

2. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I had it done back in 2009. It was quick and easy. The recovery was pretty much as your doctor described. At 4 weeks you should be fine for Amsterdam. Around week 2 1/2 start doing deep knee bends to loosen it up some.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hope it goes well for you @yg17 Just out of curiosity, how did you mess up your knee?

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I had it done a couple of years ago ... walking down the driveway to greet the UPS truck, then pivoted, took a step, and "snap".

The arthroscopic surgery went well, and the recovery was shorter than I expected. Didn't really need the crutch and walker that was purchased on recommendation. Everything seems fine today ... just a couple of tiny scars on my knee to remind me which leg it was on.

Good luck with yours ...

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks, good to hear the recovery is exactly what the doctor said.

I am not 100% sure, but if I had to guess, it was chasing this adorable pain in the ass around the house or yard:

IMG_5384.jpg

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Great, so now the dog gets blamed for your injuries as well as when you fart.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Haha, I can't blame him for my farts because his farts smell worse than anything that has ever come out of a human, if I blame it on him, everyone would be like "No, it wasn't him because it didn't smell THAT bad" :D