Anyone ever had their iPhone experience stomped on...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jason1978, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Jason1978 macrumors regular

I'll explain.

I went to Virgin one day to buy my iPhone 5. I was excited coming from the 4 and for the new purchase of a phone. Went early in the morning, was the first one there, told the girl what I wanted, she grabbed the box and started setting it up in the system. It was an exiting time. Well it was until......

She opened the box and then put in the sim card, took off the plastic tape and turned on the phone.

funny-black-man-face-shocked-e1337411871915.jpg

Say what???

All the excitement of my new purchase was taken away. But hey I had the iPhone 5. I should of been happy.

Just wondering if anyone else had this horrible experience. And when I get the iPhone 5s in a couple of days, I will literally make a point of telling them to not do this. Yes I am very particular.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So because she opened the box, put in the sim and took the screen protector off that made you unhappy and ruined your iphone purchase experience?
    Some of us have better things to worry about in life....

3. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah that is what I am saying. I like the experience of unboxing my own device. Not too much to ask right?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Personally I don't care, but next time you should let them know about it before they make you unhappy and ruin your experience again;)

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

crap, no unboxing video. I would of returned it.

6. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah I should have. Am I the only one who feels strongly about this. I think it takes away from the whole new phone experience. I may have been a little dramatic in my thread but I am dead serious.

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I don't think anyone here is doubting that.

8. Strax macrumors member

I really hope that you understand how incredibly fortunate you are to have a life that gives you the luxury to even contemplate complaining about this.

9. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Yep I'm the same. Should have just said you didn't want it opening.

Perhaps the sales lady was the same and likes opening brand new iPhones every day :D

10. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

How about the sales lady tries on your new sneakers and runs around in them for a little before you buy them. Thats how it is lol

----------

Finally someone who understands lol

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

12. Strax macrumors member

Okay, so I take it your answer is no, you don't have a clue how lucky you are to consider this a problem. Got it.

13. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

He probably doesn't and neither do I really. We all take some things for granted.

Like my friend who uses his Ferrari 355 to go to the local shop for bread and milk.

Same thing, different level.

14. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I have real world problems. Like the next guy. Taking care of mom because she broke her arm, she has diabetes and can't risk surgery, dad has cholesterol and blood pressure issues, I graduated College and still cant find a job, Im in a 10 year relationship that needs work, Im broke, and the list goes on. So maybe these small things that make me happy are little distractions. Its possible.

No difference then the people on here obsessing everyday about when their phone will be shipped.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

Someone ate my cheeseburger once. It ruined my experience with cheesburgers ever since. Oh the humanity.

16. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Prolly because she was trying to assist, and ensure everything was working for you with your new phone. This is called "customer service."

No wonder the wireless carrier employees have such a bad attitude.

17. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

So are the salesman at Best Buy trying to sell you something you don't need. It's annoying.

If it wasn't in working order. I would have went back! Problem solved.

18. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yeah, but, if you are the average consumer, you are going to be really pissed having to go back to the store to get your phone working. Most people -- meaning 99% -- want to conclude the purchase with a working phone and never go back to the store again.

Anyway, if this is important to you, buy the phone at an Apple store and have Apple give you a new nano SIM card. You can update your SIM at home (online), open your new iPhone at home, do whatever you want.

19. ethereal45 macrumors regular

When I got my 3G they set it up in store and yeah I cringed when the guy took it out of the box. I wanted that job.

20. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

What about Best Buy? Will they turn it on there? My sim card will be the same so I don't see any need for them to put it in.

21. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Well, I would tell Best Buy to just sell you the iPhone and you are setting it up at home. If you are buying off-contract (i.e. unlocked), there is no reason for them to open it up or even touch it, that's what I bought at Apple, unlocked phone. If your phone is unlocked, no one needs to touch it ever, you can set it all up yourself, including swapping SIMs with just about any wireless carrier on the globe (except Sprint).

If you are on a subsidy/contract, I still don't know why they would need to open it, but maybe ask if you buy it, you want to open it at home so you can figure out your SIM cards at home (even if this isn't true, just say it).

22. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah I can figure out the sim card. All good. Thanks

23. Kemonsterr, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

Lol guess I ruin people's experiences 5 days a week.

It's required of me to open the box and set up the phone. Unless the customer says otherwise. So you shoulda said something. I like it actually, it's less I have to do. It's what they do at most carrier stores and at best buy we set up evvvvvvrything. It's really helpful for folks who haven't ever had a smartphone or have never had an iphone.

Again if you didn't like it, you should have said something. It's your bad, not the associates

Edit: I work at best buy, I can assure you I don't give crappy customer service. Yes we try and sell you stuff you don't need. But cut us some slack, WE HAVE TO! We can get in trouble if we don't offer it, so bite your tongue for a sec and listen to the pitch. If you don't want it say no. And by the way, people typically need the stuff I sell, I like a car charger, like a case (70% of my customers are clumsy lol) and stuff that protects the $700+ device they just activated.

24. itjw macrumors 65816

And everyone that tells him it's a "first world problem" and how "lucky" he is are probably the same people that walk around with a microfiber cloth and inspect their phones for teeny tiny cosmetic defects...

There are a LOT of OCD iPhone owners. They are still a minority, but this surprises people???

I truly hope the OP recovers, and that some day, after years of therapy, he can use a phone again without feeling stomped on.

In the meantime they should probably ban box cutters, knives, heck anything sharp enough to open a box. They obviously are capable of too much emotional distress to exist.

For the low retainer of 100k I'll personally take up the crusade!

BoxGate

25. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Since I paid $800.00 bucks I got to do my own unboxing. I would rather have that cash back.