Anyone ever have a problem installing a drive over 200GB in a G5/1.8 17-Inch ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ice1889, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Ice1889 macrumors newbie

I have a G5/1.8 17-Inch non intel that came with a 80GB HD I want to upgrade it to a 500GB HD but the OS will not see the HD can this Mac support that size HD?

Thanks
    Ice1889

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is there even an OS on the HDD? You bought it new I suppose, thus it is not formatted yet and has no data on it. As Mac OS X is stored on the old internal HDD, you need to either clone the old HDD to the new HDD or you need to install Mac OS X again on the new HDD.
    To do so, you have to format the HDD first via Disk Utility.

The following is an excerpt from MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD
    but it also works with the iMac.

3. Ice1889 thread starter macrumors newbie

G5/1.8 17-Inch ?

that's the problem disk utility will see the HD i tried two different 500GB HD and the same issue disk utility will not see them i tried a 200GB that worked i think there is a size limit. any ideas?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have an enclosure for 3.5" S-ATA HDDs to see if you can see it while running Mac OS X from the original HDD?

What exact model of 500GB HDD did you buy?

Btw, the iMac can have HDDs bigger than 500GB, iFixIt even links to 1TB HDDs in its HDD replacement guide.

5. Ice1889 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone ever have a problem installing a drive over 200GB in a G5/1.8 17-Inch ?

I have a 500GB WD5000AAKS. yes i can see the HD from and enclosure i even reformatted the drive while in the enclosure.

thanks