Anyone exchange there gold 5s for a different color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, Oct 10, 2013.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I purchased a gold 5s because of all the hype but I'm regretting the choice. How does a exchange work? Will they allow me to do an exchange. I started a new line with verizon. It was purchased from apple 4 days ago. And I really don't want to hear the posts on how I already have the phone that I should leave the phone I'm going to exchange for to someone else. There's a reason apple has a return/exchange policy.

2. whitmanjg macrumors member

whitmanjg

there are several threads on this topic already.

3. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Yes explaining that they return it and wait for there upgrade to show back on the account but as I stated I started a new line and am not able to have my upgrade back onto a line I just started.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Just a friendly caution to a newcomer that you risk moderation with a comment like that (see the FAQ/Rules). I'm not a mod, just someone who has bumped into the rules a few times myself.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why not? That new line you just started originally came with an upgrade associated with it (which you used to buy the gold iPhone 5s at the subsidized price).

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

No. They won't let you exchange it for another color. You can return it. They will let you do that. It takes awhile for your upgrade eligibility to return, though. Except in a carrier store. They can reset it immediately. Apple cannot.

If this is a new phone on a new line, returning it could allow you to just cancel service and open another line.

If you wanted to return a 5s for a 5c? I bet they'd allow it. Just a guess.

7. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

What if they don't get stock until after my 14 days is up but still within the 30 days.

8. sleepyking macrumors 6502

For AT&T, they had to process as a return since it was a new line. There is nothing to upgrade because it's a new line. I know because this is what happened for me last week when returning the 5C. Not sure if Verizon works the same.

Also since I went to Apple to get the 5S, they had to give a new phone number altogether. You can change though at the carrier store.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You'd be safer to cancel it and wait to start up a new line when they have what you want. What exactly do you want?

10. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

May I ask what you didn't like about the gold? I was thinking about getting it.

11. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Just not a fan of it, nothing particular stands out. My 14 days might be up because my first phone had a defect, then they replaced it for the same color. But the return date on the new receipt says November 3. But the like was started on the 23rd. What happens if the 14 days is up? I still have the 30 days. Is it really this hard to do an exchange for a different color. Maybe I'll try going in for an exchange and see what they say, or give customer service a call.

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Acquisition was more exciting than ownership? Just guessing. :)

----------

Good luck. I really don't think they will let you just swap one color for another. It goes against their store policy. In the first 14 days you can return it and cancel your new phone line, though. Since it's a new line, why don't you do that?

13. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

What policy? You can go in and exchange a black ipad for a white ipad with no problem. Because the day my line was activated has been over 14 days, it's still under the 30 day policy.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Phones and iPads are different (from a carrier perspective).

If you were asking if you could exchange a full price, unsubsidized phone for another full price, unsubsidized phone? The answer would be "yes."

15. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I bought mine from apple and decided I rather have gold. Found a store that had gold but was an hour away, I asked them if they could hold it. They said they would for 48hours. Picked it up the next day in exchange for my silver. It wasn't a return either. So basically it ain't gonna hurt asking a store before you try.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Was this at an Apple store? I've never heard of them holding a gold iPhone for 2 days.

17. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Gold is extremely rare. I would sell it for a profit and then buy a space grey/silver full retail.

18. AlexSykes macrumors member

I had a Gold 64GB unlocked and I managed to get £200 more than the amount I paid for it, I've then used the money to purchase a Space Grey model and still have £200 to pocket. So I'd recommend selling the gold rather than exchanging, though mine is sim free so I'm not sure how contract locked iPhones, etc. are dealt with.

19. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

You'll be fine. I purchased a gold iPhone 64GB on launch day. Was excited to have a lot of storage. But I've learned over time that I didn't need all that storage and decided to stop by my local Apple store and exchanged it to a 16 GB today, and they were happy to do it. Thats after my 14 days and I still got the discount. :) You have 30 days to do any exchanges after 14 days they can't reset your upgrade. Meaning if I go to return my iPhone at the Apple store to get a full refund ,At&T wont be able to reset my upgrade.

20. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Lol thank you, someone who actually has done it!

21. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

You're welcome !