Anyone exchanged a new ipad because of the heat issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrBushido, Mar 27, 2012.

1. MrBushido macrumors newbie

Is there anyone who has exchanged a new ipad because of the heat issue? I thought my ipad was normal, until I tried the ones at the apple store, which are definitely a bit cooler than mine when plugged in for a prolonged period.

I want to show the genius the problem, but it will required the ipad to be plugged for at least an hour. Will they just accept the old one, or will they make sure to check if the problem is really there? Anyone with previous experience?

Also, for exchanges, will the 14 days period reset or will it carry on from when I first received it on the 16th?

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Unless your iPad is different from nearly every other iPad then I assume you are talking about the slight temp increase, no they will not accept it in that case because no it is not a problem.

3. Holoshed macrumors regular

I sent back the 16gig WiFi I got from Apple as a pre-order because it really was hotter. I could not hold it while using it after a bit.

After noticing an open box 16gig AT&T iPad at my local Best Buy I bought it and believe it or not, it does NOT have the same heat issue the other had.

What this shows me is there really could be some iPads with actual heat issues, I have now owned two and one had it and the other did not.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The new iPad does not have a heat issue, just a bunch of consumers looking for problems and believing every word the media says.

5. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

While it wasn't the reason I exchanged my AT&T iPad for the Verizon one, I DID notice it being a LOT warmer when I was charging it. It was bad enough that I didn't use it while charging. With my iPad2, once we were able to still use the device while charging, I was able to use it while charging with no problems. Would I have still exchanged it if I didn't have a problem with AT&T's horrible data service? Maybe.

6. LFMNX, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

LFMNX macrumors regular

Driving more ergs of unnecessary energy spent for all involved. Mining, to phone calls, to peoples time, jet fuel, car fuel, frustration, battery's discarded due to refurb process and on and on..... Media drives this behavior in an unscientific frenzy. To think one unit is hotter than another in the identical scenario. Really?

7. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

So the King of Definition now has told us...

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Does that make you the King of Media?

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I'm pretty certain you don't have to give a reason to get a refund. More MacRumors lies.

10. mortenandersen, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

The need to make one's message very very clear

As some people obviously have problems to deal with and understand metaphorical and retorical statements, I will have to spell it out more clearly: tjb1 claims 1) that the new iPad does not have a heat issue, and 2) that it is just a bunch of consumers looking for problems and believing every word the media says.

It deep contrast to making such completely unfounded claims, all I said was that tjb1 makes two-three completely unfounded assumptions and states them as facts or truths, as a King of Definition does. I am afraid that this message didn't reach the poster.

Such posts, like the one that tjb1 here have made, function to try and stop reflection, discussion and dialogue - and that cannot be the intention of a forum. But luckily, such attempts to stop a vital discussion will never make it. But it is always interesting to observe the attempts some people make, and so try and imagine the personal needs that may motivate such infantile behavior, a kind of behavior that does not belong in a forum, where grown-ups never will allow such persons to stop them/us in exchanging experiences relevant to interesting tech products.

11. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Re: Anyone exchanged a new ipad because of the heat issue?

well first there'd have to be an actual issue.

12. TheMiz macrumors member

Lets see.

My Macbook Pro gets warm
    My iPhone gets warm
    My Playstation 3 gets warm
    My Xbox 360 gets warm
    My HD cable box gets warm
    My router gets warm

If my iPad DIDNT get warm I would think there was something wrong with it.

13. Ries macrumors 68000

Fixed:
    My Macbook Pro gets warm, but i don't hold it in my hands
    My iPhone gets warm, but mine doesn't
    My Playstation 3 gets warm, but i don't hold it in my hands
    My Xbox 360 gets warm, but i don't hold it in my hands
    My HD cable box gets warm, but i don't hold it in my hands
    My router gets warm, but i don't hold it in my hands

14. TheMiz macrumors member

Maybe you should not hold the iPad either.

15. Batavian, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

It's pushing 4x the pixels than the ipad 2. It runs warmer. Period.

It's not a problem. It's law of physics.

You can put a backcover on it if its too warm for you to hold for long periods of time. I don't use a backcover since I believe Apple designed the aluminum back as a heatsink to dissipate heat. I don't want to bottle up the heat and possibly do damage to my ipad.

I know I'm going to regret saying this but...

if you hold the ipad in landscape with the home button on the left side, your hand wont be over the hot spot (lower left).

If you're a portrait guy, you can hold the ipad "upside-down" with the home button at the top. Looks strange, but your still avoiding the hotspot.

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Non problem. See?

17. batotman macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4S runs hotter than my iPad. Even more so if I switch the back to metal. I believe it's a matter of perception. If the back wasn't aluminum (which feels cool at room temperature) you probably wouldn't notice the distribution of heat being hotter in the corner. In any event, I am perplexed how it's "too hot" and wonder if the buyer simply expects it to feel cool on all sides. It's really not that warm.

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

^^ This. I mean seriously?! I've done HD movies, games, and tried to get my iPad 3 warm just to see what these people were complaining about and ... I don't see it?! Seriously? Heat issues? Are you kidding me? <laughs out loud and stops from the pain>.

I'm surprised that it doesn't get hotter! Having spent a lifetime in IT - ever touch a dual Xeon 2.2Ghz processor back in the Pentium 4 days? :) Without a heat sink? Yeah, I think I had a blister for awhile. And yeah, I was dumb. That's a heat issue...

19. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I guess some specific units could run a little on the hot side, but my unit doesn't get all that hot. Then again, I have some major calluses on my hands.

There was an article in Wired yesterday (I think) where they ran a bunch of tablets through a test by playing the same graphics-intensive game on all of them for the same amount of time. The new iPad got to something like 94.5 degrees F, which was about in the middle of the pack. A few got up to 98 degrees, and a few were a degree or two cooler.

Makes me think that some people have some extraordinarily sensitive skin.

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

No, not since I bought a pair of oven mitts!!!!!

21. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

On my first iPad was extremely bad I exchange it yesterday for new iPad which has no yellowing and much less heat

22. Ries macrumors 68000

So I'm holding it wrong?

23. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Nope not even really warm but that might be due to the case I have on it, I wonder do people with heat issues use the ipad "naked" or in a case?

24. Skygunner27 macrumors member

Skygunner27

I really hate it when fellow end-users discredit users with valid problems. My first and 3rd iPad had serious heat problems under load. My first unit would get soooo hot that, it would give me a tempature iPad needs to cool down warning. Apple had me run and email a diagnostic. The tech could see the over heating problem in the diagnostic. I returned that iPad and it was flagged for capture.

My 3rd was uncomfortably hot so I just exchanged it.

My 5th iPad is absolutely perfect. It barely gets warm no matter what.

25. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

But do/did you use them naked or in a case? And what does under load mean? Just wanna make sure mine is issue free... not trying to discredit your problems.