Anyone expert in subliminal manipulation?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Nov 20, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Fox recently made some kind of screw-up. I just cannot figure out what it is. Watch this short clip from Crooks & Liars.

Maybe it was a programming error, but if so, Hillary was NOT the next story up. That makes a queueing error unlikely (to someone untrained in broadcasting at least).

Anyone want to venture a guess about what happened here? FOX is not above any form of underhanded misuse of their resources. That has been seen time again. Yet, maybe this was just an unintentional mistake?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I don't think you need to be an expert to see what is going on there.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Didn't look like a mistake at all. It is Faux News after all.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'm pretty good with subliminal ( send me all your money) suggestions and I think ( unmarked bills ) Faux news? has ( 20's or less please ) pulled off their typical ( Canadian please.The U.S. dollar isn't worth crap ) brainwashing.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

As I recall, that is illegal. Is that enough to get their ticket punched? That especially for using it to manipulate news coverage in a political election capacity. Hopefully someone is working overtime to analyze this.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It would be one thing if it was occasional, or there were consequences. I believe there was quite the fallout from that large black X that once appeared across Cheney's face during a broadcast. But Fox gets away with this all the time with impunity. Even when it seems to be pattern. Such as labeling Mark Foley a Dem on several occasions on several shows. Not to mention all the other obvious examples that aren't so subliminal.

I'd like to say this was just an accident, or the work of jokester, but it's not an isolated incident and will more than likely not have any consequences, so it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Being in TV (albeit local) myself, I know it's not that hard to put up the wrong graphic. You'll see mistakes all the time if you look for them. Most have to do with misspellings, though. (Just this weekend during the Browns-Ravens game, CBS ran a crawl with "FOOTALL SCORES". They ran it a number of times without catching it.)

That said, while it very well may be an innocent mistake, when you run a network known to have a deliberate bias, you open yourself to getting accused of doing things like this on purpose. Hard for me to shed any crocodile tears for Fox.

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I don't think there is such a thing, just because George Bush is the best President ever, Hillary is the devil living on earth and Sean Hannity is the son of God doesn't mean Fox news would try something like subliminal manipulation.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, the best way to make sure errors like that never happen again is to never display Hillary's face on anything. Ratings could only be positive for that.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow, you guys are deep into it. Just remember to keep you aluminium foil deflector beanies in the correct adjustment.

Mistakes are made all the time in the control room. If you've ever been in one during a broadcast you'd understand why this could happen. There are literally hundreds of buttons and layers of buttons with access to thousands of pictures and video.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It couldn't have been because they have a Hillary picture queued up for the zillion stories run on her lately. Nooooo. That wouldn't reek of a conspiracy, so it's not conceivable.

Heck, if I was running the equipment I would have made that "mistake" while they were running the story on that teacher that ran off with the Mexican kid. The control room would have been rolling on the floor laughing.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Crooks and Liars is starting to sound like an apt name for that website.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well gee swarmy- if they hadn't done this kind of thing before, maybe we wouldn't be so suspicious. And maybe, just maybe if it were a real news station, we'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Either they need to fire someone in the control room if this keeps happening, or they need to start calling themselves what they really are, Faux News.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It appears that SMM gets all his news from there too.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Why is everything a fireable offense? Just don't allow the guy to participate in the gift exchange at the Christmas party or something.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If someone repeatedly proves they can't do their job, don't you fire them? Oh wait- unless you're neocon, then you get promoted. :rolleyes:

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

This happens daily? :confused:

You realize that there are hundreds of examples where "mistakes" are made in movies and I don't see those editors and special effects people "fired".

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh really? I have. If someone repeatedly proves to be unreliable, you don't keep using them. Being in media myself, I've seen it happen at our photo studio and with directors/filmmakers/production companies I've worked with. Mistakes happen, but if they keep happening, people get fired. I don't know why you think that business is any different from any other.

19. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Why would it appear that way? I link to many stories. Some indeed come from C & R (which I do read daily). But, others come from the NYT, WP, McClatchy, BBC, Guardian, LA Times, Christian Science Monitor, Rolling Stone and anywhere my reading takes me. So, you are just wrong. No need to respond, I accept your apology in advance.

20. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

That seems to be what I was asking about, without the snide comment about the beanies.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You won't get an apology, so don't hold your breath. Don't you know that admitting you're wrong and apologizing is poison to a neocon? ;) They'd rather slash their wrists.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What do you mean "you guys"? Most of us get that it was probably an error that wasn't intentional. Just that they have a habit of doing things like this regularly, so it's hard not to be suspicious. Labeling Mark Foley a Dem on 3 separate shows several times seems pretty intentional. If not, or if it's the work of someone playing a joke or not doing their jobs, if there were at least consequences for the mistake or prank or deliberate slant, whatever, then we wouldn't be complaining. An apology, a retraction, anything. But we don't see that. Instead you see a pattern, where it seems to keep happening. So it's either sloppy, or poor journalism. Either way, you wonder why we don't like Fox.

CNN pulls this too sometimes, and I hold them equally to the fire if and when they do.

You must not have working in any good media company then, because that's exactly what happens. Rarely even reprimands, you screw up, you're fired. Frankly, I'd be happy with a retraction, or even an "oops" when this type of thing occurs. Even if I don't necessarily agree with their politics (and please don't fool yourself, they are most certainly slanted pretty far to the right), I'd at least respect them for that.

Yeah, what Lee said. Kinda the issue. If they print it, it must be true.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Funny how there are people in this world who lie and wait for Fox News to make an error then paint it on the internet as a conspiracy.

I bet they watch Fox News more than the "Neocons" do.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They don't have to wait very long, or look very hard. Happens quite frequently. So frequently, one doesn't need to think conspiracy. If it was less frequent, and we didn't already know that the people who run it like Roger Ailes actually dictate to their people what talking points to highlight (true or not), we wouldn't be complaining as much. They would just be lazy and incompetent like most of the rest of the media. ;)

Ironically, I'll bet it's a fairly substantial amount of their viewers. Same reason people who don't like Howard Stern listen to him. I like to know when they, or anyone else in the media, is pulling this stuff though, because then we can point it out to discredit them if they keep pulling it. Sadly, there are very few consequences anymore. If there were, again, I don't think most of us would have as much of a problem with them.

25. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Before I waste time responding, first tell me whether this is a joke.