Anyone figure out how to use windows 10 on external drive w/ 2018 mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by omvs, Dec 1, 2018.

1. omvs macrumors 6502

I wanted to keep my internal SSD for osx, and use an external drive (usb or thunderbolt) for windows. However I can't seem to figure out how to get bootcamp to install on the external drive.

With my 2014 laptop, i could EFI boot the windows install media, but even after disabling all the secure boot options that won't seem to drop me into the install.

For now I have a small windows partition on the internal drive, and keeping my data on external which works, but not idea. Really glad I ordered a custom model with a bigger drive, since bootcamping on even the stock i5 would be tight.

Note: using goalque's automate-eGPU EFI to boot into installed windows so I can run eGPU with monitor hooked to mini directly.

2. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

I know that it’s not officially supported by Apple. You could check out Winclone. I tried to use it to copy a Bootcamp W7 partition to another Mac about four years ago but I had no luck. YMMV.

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone/

3. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem but have yet to find a solution. I haven’t spent a lot of time looking though. My windows install has been on an external SSD and I was using it and my eGPU in Windows without an issue on my old mini, but so far can’t boot into it on my 2018. Hope this can be resolved as I use my Windows install on multiple computers.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I didn't do the winclone method, I used the VM install method to put a Windows 10 install on a USB-C drive using VirtualBox.

I can boot to the external windows drive, haven't activated the install yet, so the use of the install is problematic.

Just to get that install to boot I have to go to minimum boot security, use HDMI, then cold boot directly the option menu to pick up the windows EFI partion.

Looking to be a hassle so I made the choice to use the Windows activation code on the internal drive instead, at least until I get a TB3 drive later on.

Sad part was, when I cranked the security back up to full. The low security Windows bootbamp install lost its blessing, and I had to delete and reinstall Windows again.

May have been a simple 5-min fix to get the Windows 10 install fully working on the external with the Displayport adapter for some, but I just needed an easy working version of windows that didn't require gymnastics.

NOTE: My bootable windows USB-C drive for the 2018 Mini is formatted GUID, not Master Boot Record.