Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I find it odd that I have to enable a passcode then set either a 4 digit or other typed passcode to use the fingerprint scanner. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner because you cant use it as a standalone?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I find it odd that I have to enable a passcode then set either a 4 digit or other typed passcode to use the fingerprint scanner. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner because you cant use it as a standalone?

I thought you can use it as a standalone entry system?

I think they have you set a passcode, because after a few scans, if it doesn't read your finger, it gives you the option to put a code in. Just so there is no way that the owner can get locked out.

But you can use the fingerprint as a unlock, without passcode.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Try having only prints and either cutting your finger or scratching the reader. This is even a problem with the door-type readers.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Not only scratching the reader, but what if you cut your finger thus more or less changing your fingerprint?

It is just a back-up to your fingerprint.

EDIT - I pretty much replied with the same thing blhoward2 said. I should read better next time...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
touch-id is just a faster way to unlock a passcode enabled iOS device; they don't touted it as a replacement for a passcode, but something to make you want to put a passcode on your iPhone since more than half the people don't use a passcode on their iPhone.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
As someone who has clipped a fingertip with some scissors, the passcode being there is great to have...

cmparrish

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
In my case, it will be handy to have the passcode as a backup. I'm an EMS provider and I frequently use the phone (call the hospital, looking up drug dosages, protocols, etc) while I have gloves on. The touch screen works through our thin nitrile gloves, but obviously the fingerprint scanner would not work with gloves.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
The passcode is required after 48 hours without unlocking and the first time after boot. It's an extra security measure.

I don't know how you could consider it "defeating the purpose".

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Also as far as security is concerned, you can set a long passcode thereby greatly improving security over a 4-digit PIN and then use your fingerprints primarily.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Ok, but then it should be optional -- more like a back-up if fingerprint doesnt work.

yogibeartacodog

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Agree with everyone mentioning the necessity of a passcode as backup to Touch ID.

I'm more surprised there is no option to require both Touch ID and a passcode.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

That would still run into the same problems of what happens if the Touch ID sensor goes bad or an injury to your finger changes the print. If you needed both then it would be impossible to get into your phone.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Agree with everyone mentioning the necessity of a passcode as backup to Touch ID.

A friend of mine was born with no fingerprints. Seriously. So if you *required* it, you're essentially telling him he cannot use an iPhone.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007

No, as it has been pointed out already it is not odd at all. If your fingerprint gets damaged you might want to have another way to get into your phone, like a passcode :) Or would you better be locked out of your phone? Your topic name is misleading. Once you have set up the passcode and fingerprint scan you can just go ahead and only use the fingerprint to unlock.

yogibeartacodog

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
A friend of mine was born with no fingerprints. Seriously. So if you *required* it, you're essentially telling him he cannot use an iPhone.

Of course a requirement would be a bad idea. I meant a user option to require both to unlock the phone. (still a bad idea, see below)

----------

That would still run into the same problems of what happens if the Touch ID sensor goes bad or an injury to your finger changes the print. If you needed both then it would be impossible to get into your phone.

Ha! Good point I should have deduced that one myself.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

a] the phone needs some kind of fallback option.

b] you have to enter your password after 2 hours of inactivity or you turn off/reset your phone.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
a] the phone needs some kind of fallback option.

b] you have to enter your password after 2 hours of inactivity or you turn off/reset your phone.

After two hours of inactivity or 2 days? I thought previously I had read 2 days (48 hours)...

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012

I think you're looking at the fingerprint as being more secure than passcode, therefore it would defeat the purpose if you can still use passcode.

This is not what touch ID is, in this case, fingerprint recognition is a way for the device to enter the passcode for you, it's a convenience.

Now this still allows to make your phone more secure than before: in the settings, change the passcode to a complex password instead, something like frw68wde%$^jydf (as long as you remember it). That kind of strong password, you would never have entered it before because it's way too annoying to type each time you unlock. Now it takes a split second with the fingerprint.

makes sense?

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia

You can use it on any part of your body that has lines. I used the lower left corner of my left hand (the place you rest your wrist on) it took a few tries but it worked.

A guy on YouTube used a cat's paw and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.