Anyone get a 16GB iPad 2 and now going for a 32GB iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm trying to gauge the amount of people that went with a 16GB model previously and regret not getting a 32GB. I had a 16GB original iPad and used maybe 1GB of space. It was mainly an Internet browser for me which is okay because that is the main reason I wanted one. I sold it a few weeks ago in anticipation of the iPad 3.

Now I'm wondering if I should go with the 32GB model and utilize the iPad 3 to the fullest due to the retina display. Meaning load it up with movies, music videos, photos, etc.

Is the 32GB Wi-Fi for $599 considered the best bang for the buck (keeping resale value in mind)? Is there anyone that got a 16GB model and after using it for a year, now realize 32GB is the best?

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

To me, the 32 GB model is the perfect compromise: 16 GB is too little for me, and for most 64 GB is over-kill (but not for everyone).

The 64 GB always loses the most re-sale value, the 16 GB the least and the 32 GB is right in between.

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I have a 16 gig iPad 2 and like it a lot. I mostly use it in the house and since it can communicate with my mac mini I really have all the space i need. Most space on an ipad is needed for music and video, and with the Apple TV2 I can access all of my media on my ipad anyway.

What I wish I had was a 32 gig iphone instead of jus tthe 16. More space on the go is what I need.

4. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm starting to think 32GB might be the perfect amount of space. Since I had a 16GB model, I can utilize the iPad 3 in the same way I used before. But with the additional 16, that will solely be for HD movies and 5 movies at 3GB each is already using that space up to full capacity. I think having the ability to switch 5 movies at a time is the perfect amount for traveling.

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm actually going from the 32 to the 64 for the iPad 3. Photos, apps, data all add up after a while.

6. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I had the same thought with the original iPad. Went for the 64GB and used maybe 7 of those. I had no desire or need to fill it up with movies. There was Netflix, Abc Player, and Hulu after all. Even if I did put a movie on there, it was for those seldom road trips. I returned it for a 16GB and when the iPad 2 came out went for the 16GB as well.

It's unlikely that one's consumption habits will change just because of a better screen (the movies were already amazing quality). And if they do, it takes no more than opening up iTunes for them to sync other movies/media. Give it some thought before you spend that extra $100 or $200.

7. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same predicament. I only used a couple of gigs on my 16gb, but am wondering if I'll start to love watching movies on it in HD. Or if I'll use more capacity for everything in general. I wish Apple would solve this problem for me already and make 32GB the base model! Sadly, we already know this is not likely.

I'm also trying to work out if I would use LTE if it comes with LTE as I only have a wifi model now.

8. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'm in this boat. I just got the Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray extended edition collection and the downloadable copies make up a whopping 11GB of data between all 3 movies. I definitely need the space :D

9. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Keeping this in mind though, the non 3g models seem to command a better resale value (I've seen 16gb wifi models sold reliable for $420-50 here, and 3G models for $500 or so).

The happens capacity wise from what I've seen to a certain extent as well. Mot people buying second hand just want the cheapest option available whist still being able to own an iDevice, and the 32gb 3g model isn't that.

So based on resale value, the lowest spec'ed option seems best, and second hand, the mid range with mobile connection is probably best bang for buck if you don't need 64GB.

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

With the "cloud" direction that apple seems to be moving in... don't hold your breath for more and more iPad space. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the 16 GB stays around for a long time.

11. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Agreed. But you also have to consider that getting an additional 16GB of space for only $100 more means you're paying $31.25 per GB on the 16GB model and $18.75 per GB for the 32GB. So I think the sweet spot ($ per GB and resale value) might just be the 32GB model.

12. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

I have used the iPad 1 and 2 in the 16gig version but as I've taken up photography over the past year I'm constantly wishing I had the 64gig. I will be buying the largest options of the iPad 3 (hopefully 128gig) but 64gig is most likely the case. Having the camera kit and an SD card to offload pictures for review has been huge when away from my computer. The battery life and weight make the iPad the perfect companion when I'm out for the day or weekend with my camera and want to see what I have captured on something other than the 3" scree on a DSLR.

I have to remove lots of apps on my 16gig just to make some room for pictures now, so the more storage I can get in the least amount of devices the better. At least for me and how I use the iPad. :)

14. Cingular macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Money per gb the 32gb or 64gb will be a better bet. But for RESALE the 16gb is your best bet. I was going for the 32gb but already have iPhone 32gb and never fill it up. I also looked at what model will have a higher resale value once ipad 4 is on the way. Now the question is witch one will net you more cash black or white?

15. erawsd macrumors 6502

I wikll def upgrade from the 16GB to 32GB. If 32 ends up being the low end model, I'll may even make the leap to 64GB.

16. falcora macrumors 6502

I have a 16 GB (iPad 1) and i'm planning on getting a 32 GB. I filled up my 16 fast, and expect that i'll be using 20-25 GB on my 32.

17. maclook macrumors 65816

Same. I woulda considered getting a $600 64gb iPad 3 is they bumped the storage just so that I could load HD movies onto it without worrying about space management. If no storage bump, I'll happily stick with 32gb.

18. d0vr, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

d0vr macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised either. To be honest, it won't be that bad at all when mobile bandwidth is much cheaper and it's easy to delete music from your device (is it easy yet?), but right now it seems a little limiting. At it's core concept though, I do like the cloud. Maybe what I need is enough bandwidth to change an entire on storage library over the air! Yes.. I see telcos doing that for me </sarcasm>

Well it's $110 here, but like someone pointed out to me earlier somewhere else, that accounts for 10% tax :p I'm not sure I follow your logic though. You just divided the whole cost by the capacity, which is not quite right as it accounts for no other features. Paying an extra $100 only boosts capacity, nothing else, where as the base price includes everything else, including now, a retina display.

You are paying $6.25 per extra GB in the 32GB model ($3.125 in the 64GB). Based on the fact I can get 3 4GB thumb drives for $20 and considering the loss in resale value in bigger capacity devices, I fail to see the sweet spot.

Edit: Actually, technically the 64GB model is $4.1666-> per extra GB. Without going really doing any calculations, I would estimate that the 32GB and 64GB have about the same resale value (comparing GB to money back).

Black, seriously. I purchased a second hand white one because it was cheaper than black second hand ones (it was practically new). It seems more people like black, so there is a demand. I don't blame them, the black camera hole is ugly!

19. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Yup. 16gb fills up way too fast. Considering a 32gb this time around.

20. Rychy macrumors 6502

I might move up to the 32GB as well. I haven't ran out of space with the 16GB yet, but I'll get close if I don't manage my apps ( especially games ). Plus I know I'll find new uses for it with the addition of the retina display.

21. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

I bought a 16GB on Black Friday.....mistake.

I'm going to a 64 this time.

22. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I went from a 16GB iPad 1 to a 32GB iPad 2 for the same reason but... It still wasn't enough. My photo library is over 18,000 and I have every one on my iPad. Between HD games (FIFA soccer is over 1GB) & a couple of movies for the flight I didn't have enough space to offload a week's worth of photos. That's when I decided to change my workflow.

Now with my D7000 I shoot RAW to one SD card & 3MP JPG to the other SD card. The JPGs take up so much less room, can be edited by every photo app I have, and can be emailed or uploaded for sharing immediately straight from the iPad. It's a lot easier to make an impromptu slideshow or prints in minutes instead of waiting for those huge RAW files to transfer. Now the RAW files get downloaded when I get home and I have decent JPG backups on the iPad and the SD card.

The downside is that I can't do the rejections and ratings on the iPad and have it transfer to Aperture on my Mac. I hope Apple comes out with Aperture for the iPad to show off the new retina display and solve this problem.