Anyone get an AT&T unlocked phone replaced by Apple yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terraphantm, Apr 14, 2012.

1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Okay so I know in every other country, if you bring in a carrier unlocked phone to the apple store, the replacement will also be unlocked. I know this is believed to be the policy in the US too... But has anyone actually tried? I called AppleCare earlier today and the guy claimed that I'd have to contact AT&T and have them unlock the replacement. Not something I'd really like to go through...

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe if your old phone is unlocked in their system then when they cross over to your replacement it should be also an unlock one based on what I remember seeing on here from people in other countries where they sell both unlock & locked simultaneously.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesn't make any sense.
    Someone go try it and let us know:)

4. dedzombie macrumors newbie

Since no confirmed answer I'll post mine..

Bought iPhone 4 unlocked by AT&T, broke the screen and had the phone replaced by the apple store, they told me I would need to contact AT&T again.
    After 30 minutes on the phone with AT&T they told me the phone was registered in their system as unlocked.

So, in my case at least, unlock followed phone as apple registered it as a replacement for the original unlocked device.

5. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

Good to know, seems to reflect what happens in international markets. I suspect the geniuses and AppleCare folk just aren't informed on the issue since authorized unlocks are relatively recent.

Maybe I'll just bring the phone in on a tmobile sim card just im case.