Anyone get slowed data with sprint after 5 gigs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rwd hero, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Every month, consistently I get messages from AT&T saying I am in the top 5% of data (5 gigs every time) users and they slow my data to a crawl. Do you get the same treatment through sprint? When the new iPhone comes out I am considering switching to Sprint, I just want to make sure I'm switching to something better. Also, how are your data speeds?

2. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

Sprint does not do this. I have no issues with my data speeds at home or in my home area. At work (35 miles away) I notice some areas are slow and some are not. All depends where you live.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Same here, Sprint doesn't throttle. My son and I have had months we've used over 7GB and no hassles.

4. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

If it stays like this, Sprint just got another customer (here's hoping for an early iPhone 5 release).

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I should have commented on speeds, too. I've never had a problem and neither has my son. I'm in the Seattle area and he's D.C. Metro,

6. beret9987 macrumors regular

Never had problem either. I used 13GBs once when I went to Seattle one time and things kept going along just fine.

Edit: Speed-wise, it won't be anywhere near AT&T. But, I've never had problems with the speeds I've gotten either, pages load up with relative quickness and app downloads definitely take longer on a CDMA network but its not like it takes hours to get something downloaded. This is my experience with Northern California/Portland/Seattle, just FYI.

7. trajen macrumors 6502a

Geez no wonder my data speeds suck with all you pigs hogging the data. I've been "throttled" since day 1 with Sprint.

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

The only cap or limit sprint has on there data is 5gb for teathering but I don't think they slow you after that just charge you more. But with tethering I have easily used 7-15gb a month for the last 3 years.

9. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

While Sprint in fact does not throttle data, it's important to keep in mind at this time - on the iPhone 4S - it's extremely slow compared to its competitors. Some of this is because Sprint (and Verizon) don't support HSPA+, which AT&T uses to effectively triple the data throughput compared to Verizon and Sprint.

Sprint has been long scolded (since the launch) of poor data issues. It doesn't affect everyone, but there are a number of threads on this forum regarding people getting download speeds of 0.10 megabits per second down and up. I'd suggest that you search the forum (top right corner) and look for Sprint and Data Speed issues.

That being said I've never found Sprint had throttled me, and aside from the few months I decided to use Pandora, I never really broke 250 MB of data usage. iCloud could potentially change all that, though.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Easily answered by checking directly with Sprint:
    http://www.sprint.com/landings/iphone/

11. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

"No throttling, no metering, no overages. Just slow service!"

Is what it should say! :mad:

12. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't plan on getting a tethering plan through sprint, I use MyWi on my jailbroken iPhone and plan on doing the same with the sprint iPhone. I will probably get one and give it a test drive for 2-3 weeks. If I can't deal with the speed then I will just take it back and keep AT&T.

13. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

You guys are complaining too much ahahah
    In my country you pay a LOT for only 250mb a month with a 1mbps connection. BUT, it NEVER reaches 1mbps... something between 600-800kbps.
    After that, they slow down your speed to 30kbps ahahaha

5gb on data plan? This is a dream for me :D

14. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I usually use 4-5 GB of data with sprint and never seen a slow down even when I use to theter , sprint data is slower for some people so you should check that out first I usually get good enough speeds , like 1-2 Mbps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]