Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Every month, consistently I get messages from AT&T saying I am in the top 5% of data (5 gigs every time) users and they slow my data to a crawl. Do you get the same treatment through sprint? When the new iPhone comes out I am considering switching to Sprint, I just want to make sure I'm switching to something better. Also, how are your data speeds?

dmusicman385

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
New York
Every month, consistently I get messages from AT&T saying I am in the top 5% of data (5 gigs every time) users and they slow my data to a crawl. Do you get the same treatment through sprint? When the new iPhone comes out I am considering switching to Sprint, I just want to make sure I'm switching to something better. Also, how are your data speeds?

Sprint does not do this. I have no issues with my data speeds at home or in my home area. At work (35 miles away) I notice some areas are slow and some are not. All depends where you live.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Same here, Sprint doesn't throttle. My son and I have had months we've used over 7GB and no hassles.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
I should have commented on speeds, too. I've never had a problem and neither has my son. I'm in the Seattle area and he's D.C. Metro,

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Never had problem either. I used 13GBs once when I went to Seattle one time and things kept going along just fine.

Edit: Speed-wise, it won't be anywhere near AT&T. But, I've never had problems with the speeds I've gotten either, pages load up with relative quickness and app downloads definitely take longer on a CDMA network but its not like it takes hours to get something downloaded. This is my experience with Northern California/Portland/Seattle, just FYI.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Geez no wonder my data speeds suck with all you pigs hogging the data. I've been "throttled" since day 1 with Sprint.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
The only cap or limit sprint has on there data is 5gb for teathering but I don't think they slow you after that just charge you more. But with tethering I have easily used 7-15gb a month for the last 3 years.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
While Sprint in fact does not throttle data, it's important to keep in mind at this time - on the iPhone 4S - it's extremely slow compared to its competitors. Some of this is because Sprint (and Verizon) don't support HSPA+, which AT&T uses to effectively triple the data throughput compared to Verizon and Sprint.

Sprint has been long scolded (since the launch) of poor data issues. It doesn't affect everyone, but there are a number of threads on this forum regarding people getting download speeds of 0.10 megabits per second down and up. I'd suggest that you search the forum (top right corner) and look for Sprint and Data Speed issues.

That being said I've never found Sprint had throttled me, and aside from the few months I decided to use Pandora, I never really broke 250 MB of data usage. iCloud could potentially change all that, though.

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't plan on getting a tethering plan through sprint, I use MyWi on my jailbroken iPhone and plan on doing the same with the sprint iPhone. I will probably get one and give it a test drive for 2-3 weeks. If I can't deal with the speed then I will just take it back and keep AT&T.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
You guys are complaining too much ahahah
In my country you pay a LOT for only 250mb a month with a 1mbps connection. BUT, it NEVER reaches 1mbps... something between 600-800kbps.
After that, they slow down your speed to 30kbps ahahaha

5gb on data plan? This is a dream for me :D

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I usually use 4-5 GB of data with sprint and never seen a slow down even when I use to theter , sprint data is slower for some people so you should check that out first I usually get good enough speeds , like 1-2 Mbps
42574485-1bb1-8690.jpg

42574485-1bc7-c7f6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.