Anyone get the tweaked A1428 Tmobile version replaced at the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gary500, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

I have the Factory unlocked version and want to get mine replaced with the newer one (my lock button is broken). When do you think they will do this?

2. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Have you called your local Apple Store, or T-Mobile location to check on stock...

3. Gary500 thread starter macrumors regular

Gary500

I tried exchanging it but they were giving me the old unlocked version...anyone have any success doing this?

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

What's your location ?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

AWS iPhones are a different service part - they are separate in inventory from the original.

You won't get an AWS one unless you have an AWS one, no exceptions.

6. nitemare macrumors regular

how do u know it was the old version? i just had mine replaced for a broken screen

7. Gary500 thread starter macrumors regular

Gary500

8. Lyshen macrumors 6502

If your iPhone 5 serial number ends with the ones listed, it's the newer updated model with AWS (1700/2100).

Check this article for more info.

TMobile AWS iPhone models

9. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

10. HiRisk macrumors 6502

11. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

This was the original pic they've upload, they've updated the pic by blurring out the serial number and wifi address

Tap Settings > General > About and check if your serial number ends with any of these four-digit combinations:
    FH19
    FH1C
    FH1D
    FH1F
    FH1G
    FH1H

Wind Mobile is one of Canada's AWS HSPA+ Networks

Attached Files:

12. nitemare macrumors regular

it was replaced with a model A1428 32gb unlocked

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

And it doesnt mean you got the AWS version!

14. nitemare macrumors regular

never said it did wondering what clue are that u need ti find out, T-Mo was pushing out carrier setting for the iPhones already runny on they system

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720

Let us know if it is or not then!

16. Gary500 thread starter macrumors regular

Gary500

Nitemare, did you or did you not receive the AWS version? Check right now!

17. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Hey Guys.. I want to clear up a few things here.

Apple was in the process of doing an express exchange (tier two phone support) for my unlocked GSM iPhone 5, due to a sunken lock button. This exchange started well before any iPhone T-Mobile announcement, but my wife and I left AT&T at that time, because lets be honest... ATT is the big blue death star.

The exchange was delayed due to our vacation, and spoke to them when I returned. The GSM iPhone 5 does not have any markers or model number changes in the system on Apple's end. It's only the last bit of the serial number that indicates a difference. I asked this question many times, and they were more than happy to put a note in the system to make sure I got a "new" unlocked GSM phone, forcing the system to send the new version.

There is no T-Mobile version. It's simply the GSM phone. The guy said they began to introduce the revised firmware versions in early March, and the supply chain is beginning to reach saturation.

A1428 is the only GSM model they have.

And if you ask nice and smile, they will probably help you out

18. predation macrumors 6502a

19. nitemare macrumors regular

nope didn't get the AWS version but i did get the unlocked version

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you wait a month or so I imagine they'll only have the new ones.

Even now they probably have a few since undoubtedly there will be at least one official t-mobile iPhone that's defective. But until supplies catch up, I imagine those are "reserveed" for people w/ the "new" A1428

21. DLAROC macrumors newbie

I just bought an official T-mobile iPhone 5 and its the A1428 with FH19 on the serial. Paid 400 on Clist :) Its sweet cause i can keep LTE off and still get super fast speeds while saving battery life.

22. Jades macrumors 6502

As of now the only replacements apple are giving for the non-CDMA phones in USA are the AWS band phones

This is what 3 different genius reps from 3 different stores advised me

23. cas85 macrumors regular

Got mine yesterday from the Apple store and its an FH1C. I saw a glimpse of LTE but they are just turning it on and won't have it consistent for awhile I think.

I'm psyched it can do the 1700 bc I went to Tmobile but they wouldn't sell me this version without a new activation and I didn't want to pay extra for that so I just bought the unlocked version from apple. Happy to see it works well with HSPA+ here also.

24. scaredpoet, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Mine was replaced for a shattered screen and impact damage last week. The original was an A1428 AT&T model, carrier unlocked. The new model is an A1428 with serial ending in FH1G, unlocked.

At this point, it makes little sense for Apple to splinter their manufacturing even further, and to keep making non-AWS A1428s alongside AWS-enabled ones, and then have to track inventories for each type, making sure the people needing AWS get one sub-model and non-AWS users getting the other. Not to mention the frustration a user might feel if they're on AT&T and told that the only stock the store has is reserved for T-Mobile users, or a T-Mobile user is told the only replacements in stock might not enable HSPA or AWS in their area. So, it's easier to just make them all AWS-enabled going forward.

Having said that, it's ALSO becoming easier now for Apple to replace individual components in-store, like bad lock/home buttons or batteries. So unless you have AppleCare+ and your phone is really bad off, there's a good chance that for common, minor issues, you'll ultimately leave with the exact same phone you walked in with, just repaired.

25. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

LTE uses the same battery as 4G as its the same chip