Anyone go in for warranty since the 3G announcment? / General insurance question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Love Juice, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Love Juice macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2008
    My iPhone bit the dust not too long ago due to water damage. It can tell that it's plugged in and only shows the battery w/ the lightning bolt, but never charges. Once in a blue moon, it will boot the the home screen and i can use it as normal. The screen is faded everywhere, and has a major burn in one corner.

My dilemma is this ...

I actually have it warrantied through State Farm, but haven't made the claim yet.

Like many others, mine is jailbroken and unlocked and I'm using it on Tmobile USA.

Should I go into Apple and just pay the $250 for a refurb? Maybe they are using new units in place of for warranty jobs to get rid of stock? (anyone know?)

..or should I wait til 3G are out and hopefully wait til that gets unlocked??

Does anyone know if they have dropped the price of non-warranty covered claims due to the new price announcement?

And those who have made claims via State Farm, Square Trade, etc ...Do they just cut you a check for what you've paid? If not, what do they do?

Thanks in advance!
  2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    You just might be the test. Keep us advised. Sorry to hear about your damaged iPhone. :(
  3. bacaramac macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2007
    I was just going to call the local Apple store. I actually have a vaild contract on a 16gb purchased and activated with AT&T. I bought it on 6/10/08 and I have been having issues (phone lock-ups, etc). Obviously AT&T can't do anything but return it and I was hoping Apple just gives me a brand new one as I do not want a refurb (only one week old).
  4. Love Juice thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2008
    i called the apple store, and the person i talked to said out-of-warranty replacements for the 8gb is now 199 instead of 249. i didnt ask about the 16gb though ..ill call back later.