Anyone got 15" 2010 MBP with bootcamp?Does the new MBP 330m run hot in bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by samuellaw178, Sep 2, 2010.

1. samuellaw178 macrumors newbie

I am wondering if i should buy the 15 inches macbook pro since my research shows that it is impossible to switch into the integrated graphic card.I would be in bootcamp most of the time because of some program compatibility. So, is there anyone with the 330m and tried windows on bootcamp?How hot would they get in bootcamp?And what about 320m for the 13"?How hot does it get?Thanks!:D

I tried searching on googles and mrgoogle but couldn't find what i want, that's why i am starting a new thread:p

2. samuellaw178 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MyAccount macrumors newbie

I have a previous generation MacBook Pro with the integrated 9400M and the fan thermometer reports 190 F in Boot Camp doing basic Web browsing. If you download SMC fan control though and restart (don't fully boot down and manually restart, hit "restart") in Boot Camp, though, the fans will continue to be at the increased rate (up to 6254 rpm) while you're in Boot Camp. That helps, though Windows STILL runs very hot performing basic tasks. All I can say is... Windoze is crap; you probably will not experience such intense heat in VMWare or Parallels, though you will have quite noticeably slower speeds unless you're planning on getting 8 GB RAM (or 16 GB if 8 GB non-ECC 204-pin modules are available now).

I'd first look into a Mac compatible replacement for your Windows applications, though. VMWare/Parallels costs $80 plus a copy of Windows, and Windows costs up to $350 by itself.

4. samuellaw178 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your time to reply to my post. I really appreciate it :D I too have the integrated 9400M but with 9600M too.The problem is that it is running using the 9600M which causes the MBP to run very hot under normal usage. It's not extremely hot actually(65-75 degree celcius), but enough to irritate me and make me frustrated when I am typing and touching it. What's more, I couldn't even use the 9400M in windows,that's completely crap =.=

Another problem is I could not really find a substitute for Windows Live Messenger with messenger plus. I would've done that if I could. The WLM in mac are full of bugs and some other substitutes lack the video calling function which I need. So I was hoping it would get better in the new gen MBP which is why I ask. Also, I am getting more attached to Windows 7 (totally not bad compared to os x) since I am using it to chat with my gf most of the time. Anyway, thanks for your reply. :D

5. vivid-mist macrumors newbie

(First post here, yay!)

Yah, I have the i5 2.4ghz 15", with x64 win7 bootcamp.
    I only have bootcamp for games, and let's just say you don't want the thing on your lap. It's not toooo bad, the fans take a little longer than they should to kick in, but once they do, you won't find the mbp melting or anything.

Also, if you have a few people you video call with, get them all to move over to skype. It really isn't a hassle, and skype is vastly superior in the way it handles calls and transfers data. MSN really shouldn't be used for anything other than messaging, all the other features are just bloated waffle.
    I use adium for osx. :D

6. MoLiva macrumors newbie

Aye, adium is the superior messenger service and for voice I just use skype. Onto the topic at hand, my current MBP does run hot in Win7. Not super melt your face off hot but still pretty hot.

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Just running a web browser and light multi tasking my 2010 MBP is warmer then it is running OS X. This is due to Win7 being forced to run with the 330m and not intel. However, once I start up my games it gets quite toasty.

8. polsanz macrumors newbie

How do you play games on mac?
    I have tried parallels but there's no way to change the intel graphic to the nvidia 330m. So games don't work at all.

Do they work using boot camp?

9. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Yes they do.