Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
i,m really really intrested in how loud these beasts are? i bet there still quite loud, 9 fans! even if there are all computer controlled.. surely we all want a silent computer???? i wonder if the dual model is twice as loud as the single cpu models and if the 1.6 model is the quietest..so if you have one let me know how loud it is please, cheers andy.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't know why everyone keeps saying they think these machines are really loud, Apple already said the G5 is three times quieter than the Power Mac G4

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I don't get this stereotype either. Don't people understand that when you have 9 smaller fans that it means they won't have to run at as high of an RPM as you would have to with less? That's what makes all of the noise, the RPMs of the fans, not the quantity of them. I'm quite sure these 9 fans will run quieter than 4 or 5 larger fans would. I also read a review recently in Macworld I believe that also testified that it was definitely quieter than the G4 PowerMacs are. If Apple will hurry up and get these G5s in stores and customer's hands, hopefully some of these types of stereotypes and FUD about them will go away...

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
typically a larger fan will be quiter then a small fan when outputting the same CFM

in my old PC i have a 120mm fan spinning slowly at like 2000 rpm. i cant really hear it.. but i can feel the air.

i also had a small cpu fan that could do 9000 rpm sounds like a frick'n turbine i cna hear it down the hall..

i dont know where im going with this..

but more slow fans will definately be quiter then a few fast fans

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
Re: anyone got a g5 yet? if so how loud is it?

Originally posted by andyjamesnelson
i,m really really intrested in how loud these beasts are?

Currently, they're about the quietest mass market desktop tower out there. That's really saying something.

i bet there still quite loud, 9 fans! even if there are all computer controlled.. surely we all want a silent computer????

Not at all. While there may be 9 fans in the dual models, the spin at a very low RPM. This makes for less turbulence, which means less noise. While they have the same or better airflow than your typical Dell with, say, four or so fans, the airflow is spread out more. If a fan runs at half of its maximum rated RPM and it is three times quieter, then two of those fans running at half speed will not be as loud as one fan running at full speed.

i wonder if the dual model is twice as loud as the single cpu models and if the 1.6 model is the quietest..

No, why would it be? There's much more in a computer than a processor, my friend. The G5 has two fans per CPU, two fans on the power supply, one fan for the PCI cards, and two fans for the drives. So moving to a dual setup adds on another two fans. These fans are extraordinarily quiet, however (they're the ones that Apple designed specifically for this purpose) and the extra two should be of little to no consequence, regarding noise levels.

And just to put it all in perspective, Jonathan Ive (Apple's head design guru) was quoted in a Q&A session with Wired as saying he had to put his ear to the case to hear it running during the interview. It's that quiet.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
ok ok . 9 big fans or small fans whatever.. all i wanted to hear was from sombody who as actually listened to one.. just to confirm that they are quite. .. is there any user out there who has one that would like to share the silence:)?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
It may be great airflow & great for fan makers but the new g5 is still ugly as a duckling and bigger then hell. I love the g5 but think they could have done a better job then the cheese gr......... anyways i have hopes for some day a consumer upgradeable mac that dont look like hell or make me have to buy a new desk to put it in.

twentyeight7

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2003
didnt jobs say the exact DB in the keynote i dont know what it is but i think he said it go to apple.com and watch the keynote

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Although it has nine fans, they don't all go at the same time like a gaming PC. Depending on sensor readings they kick on and off.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
ugh, some people are so impatient

believe me this will be the topic of at least 6 new threads once the G5s have arrived.:eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Somewhere around 35 dBa. I believe that's what Jobs said. For the whole computer! If true, that's quieter than a lot of CPU coolers out there.

Especially those 100 W P4s. :eek:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Apple used custom-designed ultraslow fans, add that to how much criticism Apple got over the windtunnel... i'll bet the G5 is very quiet. They've worked very hard on this. You don't have to have huge fans blasting out air if you design the enclosure properly...

pnw

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
since heat rises i dont see why they didnt design a machine to vent upwards, use less fans,in a case that was smaller rather then what they have. perhaps it was just a crash program to get the g5 into a machine since motorola was doing such a poor poor job of advancing the g4. i dont know which but they sure did a 180 in design, style and philosophy.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me since heat rises i dont see why they didnt design a machine to vent upwards, use less fans,in a case that was smaller rather then what they have.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt... it was called the G4 Cube.

Lets see... cramming 2 G5 processors so that the heat rises, but in a smaller box. That would mean a box thats been folded in the middle, between the PCI slots and the processors. So, which do you put on the bottom? If its the processors, then it cooks the PCI slots, and it doesn't get cooled enough. If its the PCI slots, then it cooks the processors and cooks itself.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
quiet.

Obviously I haven't gotten mine yet, but as I have mentioned in other threads - this thing is super quiet.

I stood right next to it as it rendered Pixar aniation at their booth at SIGGRAPH and it was the quietest computer I have ever heard while rendering.

It will be great for video and qudio editors who need a quiet machine.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have a DP 867 MDD at work. It was definitely a wind tunnel, to put it gently. I did the power supply fan upgrade and it was much quieter.
But I was @ WWDC and used some G5s. It was simply quiet. Much better than my MDD.
So in my opinion, the G5 is much quieter than the G4 offerings.
I hope that helps. :)

I'll be ordering mine shortly. (the Dual 2G )

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Bigger fans are not only quiter in dB per airflow, but they sound quieter due to the nature of hearing different frequencies. Lower frequencies sound less appearant than high pitched ones.

Also, you have to have about 10 times the fans for it to sound twice as loud. So if you go to a fan that's a little better than half as loud, and use 10 of them instead of one, it will be quiter. Why?

doubling the amount of fans gives you 3 more dB. 3 dB is a doubling of sound pressure. 10dB sounds twice as loud. So compared to one fan, 2 fans is 3 dB louder, 4 fans is 6 dB louder, 8 fans is 9 dB louder, still not twice as loud sounding.

Long story short, more slow fans better.
If Apple wasn'y limited by making pretty computers, they could have achieved this with 2 120mm fans.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Re: quiet.

Originally posted by actionslacks
I stood right next to it as it rendered Pixar aniation at their booth at SIGGRAPH and it was the quietest computer I have ever heard while rendering.

Listening to it in a (presumably) loud environment doesn't really give a good indication of how noticeable it would be in my my relatively quiet office (where the computer is the main source of noise).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Anybody there who actually listened ?

Anybody there who actually listened ?
I mean that was teh questio. Not explanations about why 9 fans are not as noisy as 4 and so on ?
Anyone who already received his G5 and listened ?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Originally posted by acj
If Apple wasn'y limited by making pretty computers, they could have achieved this with 2 120mm fans.

But if you only had two fans, you wouldn't have the same ability to independently set the fan speed depending on the temperature of the component it was cooling. It would be a much less efficient design.

Mike.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
i think they are 3 times quieter when the processors are not doing anything as the processor slows down in megahertz speed, but i bet when really under a load at full processor speed they are as loud as the dual 1.25 g4's, but i must admit i have not heard them

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
man....answer the question if you can ..

look dudes all this tech chat is fine but lets focus on the question shall we? has anyone got one at home in a quite enviroment and then listened to it? i,m sure apple have said its going to be quite and whatever with the physics of fans.. lets just hear it from an actual user..! how quite is your machine at home? :)

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
since heat rises i dont see why they didnt design a machine to vent upwards, use less fans,in a case that was smaller rather then what they have. perhaps it was just a crash program to get the g5 into a machine since motorola was doing such a poor poor job of advancing the g4. i dont know which but they sure did a 180 in design, style and philosophy.
thats exactly what i was thinking

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Re: man....answer the question if you can ..

look dudes all this tech chat is fine but lets focus on the question shall we? has anyone got one at home in a quite enviroment and then listened to it? i,m sure apple have said its going to be quite and whatever with the physics of fans.. lets just hear it from an actual user..! how quite is your machine at home? :)

Quiet... not quite. Two different things.

Yes, its quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.