Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Apparently it is the largest 9.5mm HDD available with 2 platters so it should bear some improvements over the proven 500GB and the 12.5mm 750GB drives with 3 platters.

There are 3 reviews in Newegg but I wonder if anyone has actually put the drive in his Macbook pro. Personally I'd like to put one in an optibay next to my Gen 2 X-25M.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I own it I wrote the review for using it in a macmini. BUY it in fact i am going on to new egg to buy 2 more right now. If you don't use ssd's and you want hdd value this is faster then every hdd i have put in a mini except for

wd scorpio black 320gb and 250gb 7200rpm. it is faster then the big 500gb 7200 rpm 2.5inch seagate and faster than the big 500gb 7200rpm 2.5 inch hiatchi hdds. I upgrade minis a lot this is the best out there in hdd form.

Now in 2 months if it breaks like the seagate 500gb 7200rpms broke oh well. I am on 123macmini forums a lot and i sell a lot of minis on ebay. phil

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the 1tb hdd fits in some Mac book pros not all. It is not a fast drive the 750gb drive is better for speed. I have done a few of the 1tb drives in a few systems.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Apparently it is the largest 9.5mm HDD available with 2 platters so it should bear some improvements over the proven 500GB and the 12.5mm 750GB drives with 3 platters.

There are 3 reviews in Newegg but I wonder if anyone has actually put the drive in his Macbook pro. Personally I'd like to put one in an optibay next to my Gen 2 X-25M.

good idea you should do it. I used optibays with macminis I built about 3 or 4 of them before they came out with the 2 drive mini server. I used wd6400bevt and wd7500bevt in the minis in sept and aug of 2009. the 750gb hdd was the fat one but fit in the top bay of the mini. I think you need a 9.5mm hdd for the macbook pro optibay.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
How hard is the hard drive upgrade process. I keep seeing comments that say it takes 10 minutes. but a few of the guide I've seen look like cables can get torn etc. is there a guide for a 17 inch MBP and how hard is it?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
How hard is the hard drive upgrade process. I keep seeing comments that say it takes 10 minutes. but a few of the guide I've seen look like cables can get torn etc. is there a guide for a 17 inch MBP and how hard is it?

I have done 3 macbook pros two 13 inch and one 15 inch. The spring 2009 models. They were easy compared to mac minis and I have a cataract in one eye the other was fixed correctly.

here is a video for the 17 inch

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_17_unibody/

phil

kleefaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
I just installed one of these in my Mac mini (Macmini2,1)

Greetings.

I just installed one of these WD7500BPVT drives in my Mac mini. I am liking the disk space but I can't recall ever hearing the mini's fan run. Now it's running constantly and I'm concerned that the drive is going to cause a meltdown. I'm trying to accept the idea that I'm reducing the life of the mini by years as well.

Is there a way I can tell if the machine's running too hot? Yes, the fan's running but is that a signal that I need to pull the drive out and put the original 160GB drive back?

Thanks,
Jeff

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Greetings.

I just installed one of these WD7500BPVT drives in my Mac mini. I am liking the disk space but I can't recall ever hearing the mini's fan run. Now it's running constantly and I'm concerned that the drive is going to cause a meltdown. I'm trying to accept the idea that I'm reducing the life of the mini by years as well.

Is there a way I can tell if the machine's running too hot? Yes, the fan's running but is that a signal that I need to pull the drive out and put the original 160GB drive back?

Thanks,
Jeff

No, but it sounds like you broke the thermal sensor when doing the drive swap. Or maybe you just forgot to connect it.

Eleventeen

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
Forgetting to reconnect the thermal sensor anytime you take apart a Mini is a common occurrence. Check the iFixit guide as well, it shows all the cables that need to be unplugged in order to get to the guts.

Don't listen to stuff about resetting the PRAM, on Intel Macs there's no PRAM, just SMC and the cable is more likely.

kleefaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
Forgetting to reconnect the thermal sensor anytime you take apart a Mini is a common occurrence. Check the iFixit guide as well, it shows all the cables that need to be unplugged in order to get to the guts.

Don't listen to stuff about resetting the PRAM, on Intel Macs there's no PRAM, just SMC and the cable is more likely.

I'll double check but I'm pretty sure I connected the sensor. If it's not connected would the fan go on at all?

madman555

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009

I bought the drive before I ordered my new 13" MBP. Installed the drive when the laptop came before booting it up. Took 10 minutes. You just need a small Philips screwdriver and a T6 torx. Actually, don't even remember if I used the T6. But drive fits and works perfectly fine. I don't remember hearing it at all when using the laptop.

Eleventeen

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure I connected the sensor. If it's not connected would the fan go on at all?

If it's disconnected the fans go to max immediately at start up to protect the processor. That's the first diagnostic signal that it's disconnected.

kleefaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
Huh. I swear I thought I plugged that temperature sensor (or whatever it is exactly) back in. When I cracked the case to look at it again, it looked seated. Then I popped it off and re-seated it. I didn't remember having so much fat-finger trouble when I put it back on so maybe I never actually did it the first time.

Anyway, it seems to be working fine now. It's slightly noisier than my original 160GB drive but still pretty quiet. And nothing like what I was experiencing the first night I installed it.

Thank you!

Now please excuse me while I go fill this drive up.

-Jeff

kleefaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
If it's disconnected the fans go to max immediately at start up to protect the processor. That's the first diagnostic signal that it's disconnected.

Okay, because I couldn't figure out how the fan would go on if there was no temperature sensor to tell it, "Hey, it's getting hot in here."

Thanks,
Jeff

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I just bought a WD7500BPVT, and have some first impressions on it. When I installed it and reloaded everything onto it, I could hear the drive disks spinning pretty noticeably in a quiet room. It's pretty quiet, but I notice it. Also, there's this weird whirring on top of the normal spin that happens intermittently. I have emailed WD about it, so hopefully I'll get a response back.

On the good side, the capacity is just lovely, and the speed boost over the stock Toshiba that I had is really noticeable, and in Xbench, my disk test score doubled.

So it's a good performer, I have nothing really else to compare it to since this is my first third party drive, but over the stock drive, it's a really nice upgrade, especially for the price.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
So I have some weird issues....
I have a unibody 13" Macbook Pro, 2.26 (MacBookPro5,5) with 4GB of RAM, currently with a internal WDC WD6400BEVT-22A0RT0. (the 640GB WD Blue). More on this machine in a sec....

I'm installing a WD 7500BPVT-00HXZT0 (WD 750 Blue) into a friends 15" Macbook Pro, 2.53 (MacBookPro5,4) Unibody, also with 4GB of ram.
The 750 installed into the 15" and installed 10.6 off the factory discs. Everything went ok, but for some strange reason it would "hang" for a few moments (spinning beachball) and then kick back in fine while doing ordinary tasks. It doesn't sound like a head parking issue.... The drive is very quiet.
Long story short, I swapped the 750 into my 13" and put my 640 into the 15" to see if that changed anything, and sure enough, the 750 ran like a champ in my 13", but my 640, now transplanted into the 15" had the exact same behavior. My 640 was running just fine in my 13" before. I swapped them back and now everything is normal again with my 640 in the 13" and the sluggish behavior returns to the 750 in the 15". I installed SL onto an old apple 160GB drive I had (the original 13" HD) and put it into the 15" and it works fine, normal, no hangs. I even put the 750 into a external FW 800 case and booted the 15" off it, and then it works fine! No slowdown or hangs at all....
What is it about the internal bay on the 15" that doesn't like WD blue drives? Since both my 640 and the 750 exhibit the same behavior in that machine, but work fine in my 13" (and works fine on the 15" when in a FW case)....

Any idea's?
Thanks in advance....

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Problem solved by downgrading firmware on his MBP from EFI 1.7 to 1.6. It dropped his SATA bus speed from 3 to 1.5 but every problem we were having went away. He won't notice the difference with a rotating HD.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Not hard. Get the right tools, be patient, and follow one of the many guides that are out there. In my SR MBP I must have taken out 30 screws to finally get to the HD to replace it. Nothing was hard about it, but you need to take your time.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Ordered mine from Newegg.ca this morning for $119.99 CAD! How much did anyone else end up paying for their our of curiosity?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Ordered mine from Newegg.ca this morning for $119.99 CAD! How much did anyone else end up paying for their our of curiosity?

I got mine for 109USD and threw in a 10 dollar FW 9 pin to 6 pin cable for the migration wizard (when my MBP shows up).

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Just an update...

I installed my WD 750GB 9.5mm HDD today. So far so good. No issues at all. Haven't come across any of the loud/clicking noises others have experienced.

Overall I definitely would recommend this HDD. Bought it from Newegg and arrived two days later!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.