Resolved Anyone had any experience with these non-brand hard drives on ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poiihy, Nov 27, 2014.

1. poiihy, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Has anyone had any experience with these non-brand hard drives on eBay? They are a good price but I worry that they may be crap. They look exactly like Western Digital hard drives, just different sticker.

This is the 2TB one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Terab.../110898107749?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives

They are all from the seller "apethouse" and it appears that all apethouse sells are these non-brand hard drives. See here:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/apethouse/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

There are many different hard drives for sale, mostly non-brand ones. Are these hard drives from this seller trustworthy?

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From Googling wl2000gsa6472 it looks like they are just OEM white labelled WD drives. I don't know anything about the seller of course, but I don't see any reason there would be a problem with the drives.

3. poiihy, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

Also these drives have been sold thousands of times and the seller has good feedback. This sounds like a good deal!

------------

Oh also I found this in description, so you are correct.

So this guy buys tons of hard drives by bulk for cheap from manufacturers as if he was a company, and then resells them?

Attached Files:

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have 4 of these in a box somewhere they work just fine

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I don't think so. What he's saying is that there are companies that buy tons of drives from the manufacturer, put no label or their own label on them, and then use them in their own products.

When one of those companies has surplus product, the guy buys from that company . . . not from the manufacturer.

6. 1000 macrumors member

These are rebranded WD drives, same footprint and design, identical in every way.