Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I am looking to replace our existing web-based tracking software ($19.99 shareware!) as it is obvious after a few months that not all our subscribers are receiving the emails each time (a double opt-in trade newsletter).

We are so busy here we don't have time to look at each possible program - can anyone recommend a web-based email sending piece of software that can track openings, manage subscribers etc etc. (single channel if possible I am advised..)

I have a feeling it will cost $1000 but perhaps a better option is out there?

thanks!!

x

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
robbieduncan said:
I've seem major domo used a few times by different sites. It seems to be able to cope and is FREE!

thanks Robbie though it says 'Majordomo itself performs no mail delivery' on the FAQs... so guess that rules it out?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i would go so far as to say major domo is the industry standard. there are web interfaces available.

the learning curve may be a little steep if you don't even have time to do a little research...

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
melchior said:
i would go so far as to say major domo is the industry standard. there are web interfaces available.

the learning curve may be a little steep if you don't even have time to do a little research...

- thanks Melchior - will pursue things a little more in-depth...

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
i've used both of these for lists in the 15k neighborhood: IMN and Constant Contact.

CC is a little more user-friendly; IMN is a little more flexible if you want to get your hands dirty with raw HTML.

edit: should mention these are HTML newsletters, although both programs will send text-only on demand.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
unregbaron said:
thanks Robbie though it says 'Majordomo itself performs no mail delivery' on the FAQs... so guess that rules it out?

I think it means that Majordomo does not have a built in mail engine, but sends mail using the OS facilities on the server it's installed on. i.e. on most Unix boxes it will use sendmail to send the mail.

I could have this all wrong though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.