Anyone has any luck for in store pick up in NYC stores????? Always Error out...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueCC, Oct 30, 2014.

1. BlueCC, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

BlueCC macrumors newbie

Trying to order a 6+ in grey in 64G. I've tried at least 20 times and it always fail and give me error message after i click submit order.

I have my credit card info stored in my apple account. So what i do is just select the store to pick up, log in to my account (if got kicked out), enter my credit card's secruity code, and submit order! But it always FAILS!! I'm sure i start checking out as soon as i see any store becomes available. Drive me crazy. I start to wonder whether i'm competing against other bots instead of human...

I do see it isn't so crazy for stores in other areas outside of the tristate areas. I see plenty of availabilities and they do last much longer. I was even able to order one from a store 5 hours away and had to cancel it coz didn't really want to drive that far just for the phone...

Or anybody tried walk in lately? Any luck there? How is the line look like?

2. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

Keep the phone in your cart. So that way when you see stock, all you have to do is enter the security code and check out.

Also, try using the Apple Store app, it is 100 times faster than using a web browser. If you get an error, it's because it's sold out already.

My recommendation is to wake up at like 4 AM EST and constantly refresh. I noticed the 3 days in a row where I woke up at 4 AM, the stock for my area was updated at 4:12 AM, 4:17 AM, and like 4:30 AM.

Don't reply on stock follower emails, they are behind by a few minutes. Just click refresh until you see "Available" and then check out as fast as you can

3. BlueCC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the hits. However i'm trying to order the t mobile contract free one so Apple App isn't an option.

I actually check the availability from apple.com so when i see one store becomes available, i immediately select it and check out, but still fails!!

Maybe i should try 4am in the morning so fewer people/competition?? hmm

Or anybody knows how to stay logged in at apple.com on the web browser so that i can save a couple of secs there?

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

The T-Mobile ones are always the hottest demand and most likely to give you an error. I got about 8 errors on a T-Mo (8 different days) before I finally gave up a week or so later and bought an AT&T under contract, then went to the store and demanded they sell it to me without a contract.

I think that the scalpers are on those like flies on a turd.

5. BlueCC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, soooo annoying, those scalpers.

So when you ordered the AT&T under contract, do you know whether it does a credit check coz it asks your SSN, right? I'm afraid it's going to hurt my credit score.

Is your full price ATT unlocked (or as they call it "contract free"?)

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Nah. It doesn't pull credit to do a 2-year contract order on Apple for a phone if you already have an account with AT&T.

Each time I did that (I had to do it more than once, more than one phone in this house) I just went to the store and told them I'd bought it that way, but wanted to buy it off contract. They will give you a speech about how it might get sold to someone online, blahblahblah, but I have done it 3 times already, and I can tell you I must have been a good girl this year, because not one time (in 3 separate visits to 2 separate Apple stores) did anyone BUY my phone. I just went in, had them pull my order and bring my phone out so it was on the table in front of me, then told them that I changed my mind and wanted to buy it outright, off contract and told them to cancel my web order outright and sell me that phone. Because, after all, it was a phone that I'd held there and surely they could do this because I decided to purchase it another way.

And they did it. All 3 times.

Hang tough. :)

To my knowledge, mine are unlocked. I should test it, but AT&T have to give me the unlock code on them because I paid cash, anyway. So... no worries.

7. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

The best way to stay logged in is with Chrome. Have it remember your login, and just click login when you finally go to check out

Apple won't check you logged in for more than 30 minutes, they constantly log you out if you're idle.

Just set an alarm for 4 am, get up, login into your account, click "check out now" , where it says "unavailable for pick up - select store" type your zip code, and just keep hitting that search button non stop. Eventually it'll say available now, if they get that configuration in.

It's happened to me where it was past 4:30, but I realized they had only gotten a huge shipment of iPhone 6, and not 6+

8. BlueCC thread starter macrumors newbie

You are such a smart girl! They cannot lie they dont have it in stock when they show the phone right in front of you!

Did you place your order from the web browser or the Apple Store app? And you are in the east coast area, right?

Unfortunately I was with Sprint (who won't unlock my phone domestically after my 2 yr contract was up). And now I just use a T Mobile prepaid card while waiting for the iPhone 6. So maybe I need to "borrow" account info from my friend's ATT iphones...

----------

Thanks for the all the info, Snsking! Very helpful.

So I probably could try Chrome 4am in the morning and order a ATT phone as bunnicula did. Hopefully I will have a much better chance.

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I ordered a iPhone 6+ in California. I waited for the istocknow email alert and jumped on it. I did this before noon and even now there are some models still available. I've been hunting a 6+ in earnest only since Saturday and on the first day I was asleep at the wheel. Happy hunting!

10. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

NorCal got major 6+ stock today. I was looking in San Francisco last week and it was a barren wasteland. Glad you snagged one!

----------

Where on the east coast are you?

If you have a good friend who can upgrade, I'd say you should ask one of them. You'll cancel the upgrade in store anyway. It takes a few days for their upgrade eligibility to reset.

Good luck!

11. Iffy22 macrumors newbie

The NYC Apple Stores seemingly had a lot in stock today (iPhone6). I managed to snag a contract free silver T-Mobile 64 GB online for pickup at the Grand Central store. Had a couple of error messages but finally it went through. I got several email alerts later in the day re availability of both silver and gray phones i all NYC stores

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Even now Southern California still has some stock of 6+. I feel bad for people who are waiting a multi-week wait for their phone to ship from Apple.

----------

There was a guy that had an expired drivers license or ID. Apple can't do anything for you. If you think you had a bad day, no you didn't. Imagine being denied because you accidented your ID.

13. okrelax macrumors member

do not pay attention to the stock for the space grey in the nyc stores. I had the same exact issue for about a week until I just showed up at the fifth avenue store and they had it in stock. it was showing in stock but whenever I would check out, it would become unavailable. and sometimes i could go back to the order page and it would toy with me and show available today. this only happened with the space grey model, for some reason it's not accurate and I noticed it would become "available now" at 11 am, 5ish pm, and 11pm.

14. BlueCC thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly! That's what i have experienced. I thought maybe somehow the model i pick is extremely popular.

What day did you get your phone? Was it recent? Everytime i called the store, they would tell me there's 0 availability coz they are checking the same inventory as the website. Or they would tell me to line up in the store before it opens to try my luck, which is ridiculous!! So frustrating!!

----------

Thanks. Do you know if they have 6+ in stock?

----------

I'm in NYC. I think i might ask my friend's ATT account for help.

15. okrelax macrumors member

2 weeks ago I noticed that there was availability for the plus on their website that lingered on for most of the day so I assumed it was actually accurate for once. and so I just paid a visit not expecting much, but then I saw they had a huge line of people very similar to day one lines, which is incredible to say it's still happening a month after the phone has been out. I was lucky enough not to wait on line because I already had a 6, I was actually there because I wanted to exchange before my 2 week period was over, and so they just brought me downstairs (the line was being organized outside) to exchange for the plus. that line had somewhere around 300 people from when I overheard employees talking.

16. BlueCC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies, everyone! I finally got one today at Soho store when walking in without much of hope. But there's a line and they do have 6+ in grey in 128G available! They don't have 64G in any 6+ model though, but 16G and 128G.

For those of you who are interested, I was told by rep. at 5th ave store to line up tomorrow there by 6am. They will have shipments tomorrow.

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

A little hope is all it takes. That's what got you out of bed and into that store.:D