Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
I had two other iPods before my new 10GB iPod and both of the headphone jacks broke, and now i am scared s$%#less that I will have that problem again! Anyone else have this problem. I want to use a iTrip, but i dont want to take it on and off so many times that it will brake it!!! I talked to a guy at the Apple store and he and i kinda got pissed at eachother 'cause i was asking why there was such a **** headphone jack on the best MP3 player ever. He said it was because it was cause of the remote and the earbuds or some **** like that. It pisses me off, anyone else have this problem or are angry like me! Thanks for your help!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, my 10 GB iPod has a crack in the small plastic part of the jack. The sound output is fine but the remote doesn't work.

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Yes, I had a 5G and the plastic mounting of the headphone jack broke:(

However, Apple nicely replaced it with a brand new one within 10days:D

I was a little peaved as i asked the Apple support on the phone whether they were going to fix it or just replace it. They said they would fix it. They in fact replaced it. Nice! i here you say, not really as i was hoping too maybe offer up a bit more money to get a 10 or 20G even.

Headphones don't seem to be apple's designing strong-point, as my girlfriend bought me the iPod remote/headphones for xmas and about two weeks later the cable sleeving conecting the remote side to the iPod is now seperating from the moulding of the plug - thus exposing bare, albeit colourful, wires. The sound quality is not impared at all - i just make sure that i don't unplug that end and use the remote part as an extension cable to whatever device i'm sending the source signal.

Edit: Although the remote/headphone was bought from a reseller in london, after taking it back there, reciept in hand; i was informed that i have to go through apple support and send them to belgium 'to be fixed'. So i'm waiting till they properly give up the ghost (still within 6 months of purchase though) and get replacements or new ones.

That measn it's not long before i sell my 5G and new remote headphones for whatever apple decides to bring out as a replacement.

Bring It ON!!!

smashedapart

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2002
I'll chime in on this one...I also had a broken headphone jack. A year ago this month I purchased a new 10 gig...within 2 days, it froze up. A hard freeze. Nothing could reboot it. Soo, I headed back to Microcenter and returned it for a new one. The following evening I was sitting at my Cube uploading some mp3s to my new gadget, and I looked down and noticed that the headphone jack was cracked. I turned it upside down and the plastic piece fell out into my hand. I was terribly distraught...I had just spent $550 on what was supposed to be the coolest new gadget to hit the market - and it was a complete dud. I returned it and got my money back. It didn't hurt my faith in Apple (their computers work like a charm), but as far as digital devices go...I'm a little sketchy now. I've been waiting on a 40 gig iPod since December, but seeing as how reports of faulty headphone jacks are still appearing, I guess I'm just going to invest in something else for now. Kinda depressing, really...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
my ipod takes it's fair share of abuse, but this has yet to happen to me-- i plug the remote in at least twice a day, and often just the headphones for jogging. Okay, i don't really jog, my partner does. healthy bastard. anyway, there are definitely ipods out there without any problem like this, if i were you guys i'd just use it normally and if it breaks, apple is that much more likely to fix this once and for good.

there's just no reason for people to have to ignore features like the remote because the thing is delicate. i can defintely understand why you're pissed...

pnw

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
I am just pissed off because i have heard that ALOT of other people had this happen, adn they went to Apple, and they said it was not coveredunder normal warranty, WTF is that!!! I am this close to exchanging my iPod and getting a mini disc player or something!!!

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
I replaced two iPods that had their headphone jack break under CompUSA's return policy. No more. The policy has gotten prohibitively expensive. I make sure now that before I move anything when I get home, I remove the headphone from the jack so I can move the iPod safely without breaking the port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.