Anyone have a 'nearly new' iPhone from vodafone uk? Are they any good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by student_trap, Aug 16, 2012.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hi all,

I have just settled an issue for my mother who was having trouble with her blackberry. Vodafone have agreed to replace it with a 'nearly new' iPhone 3gs, which they have told me are units returned within the 7 day returns window. They also told me that they usually give out 'nearly new' units for insurance claims etc.

I have in the past bought new iphones that weren't working correctly out of the box, and have returned them within the 7 day window. Now I am wondering whether my mother is in for a run of faulty 'nearly new' iPhones.

Has anyone bought a 'nearly new' iPhone before?
    Are they still covered by apple's 1 year warrenty (i.e. If there is a problem could I just swap it in an apple store?)?

Please share your experience

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

First i would push for an iphone 4 as the 3gs although a good solid iphone is rather dated.

If the iphone has been returned recently by another user then their should be the apples warranty still applied which can be confirmed by inputting its serial number into the support page of apples website.

It does not matter wether you have purchased the iphone from them or a network.

I purchased an iphone 4s from 02 and i wouldn't even entertain going to them in times of issues. They would seek to always repair. The apple store would swap out the iphone if under warranty, and if the issue warranted a replacement.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

get em give an iPhone 4 or tell them you'll switch carriers

4. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

With such an imminent release of the iPhone 5 (Mid-September), it really is worth doing what the others above said.

Push for the iPhone 4, and clarify why. The 3GS will soon stop being supported by minor-app devs as the specs are a farcry from what the iPhone 5 and 4S are, and significantly behind the 4, too.

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

Thanks for all of the replies. It would have been nice to get a 4, but they were replacing a broken blackberry with a 'nearly new iPhone' free of charge half way through the contract.

If it were an upgrade things would be different. But alas that is not the case, and my mother will likely only use it for phone calls and light email anyway.

Anyone ever have a 'nearly new' iPhone before? Are they really just like new, or is it likely to have a number of problems?

6. toondw macrumors 6502

Nearly new from a proper supplier like Vodafone will simply be phones returned from customers who have decided to return within the 7 day cooling off period. They cannot be sold as new hence "nearly new"

I presume they are not re-furnished? ....but even if they are they will be good quality. I wouldn't worry. Apple sell re-furnished stuff all the time, I've bought loads from them like that. You would never know they are not brand new. I would imagine Vodafone would be the same, they are a reputable company.