Anyone have an external 4K monitor/clamshell setup with their new 2018 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LincolnsiPod, Aug 12, 2018.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502a

How's it working out for you?

I noticed my mid 2014 MBP gags on occasion when connected to a 4K display, and can't seem to handle the stressload like it used to, so it's getting close to time to upgrade. I'm concerned with a new 2018 model being in clamshell mode will aggravate the heating issues even more, so I'm curious to see if this as been a problem for others with a similar setup, especially those who use the MBP as a desktop replacement.

2. csurfr macrumors 68020

No problems with that here. Runs perfectly fine and heat hasn’t been an issue. Base 15” and LG UltraFine 4k.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you use a vertical stand for clamshell mode?

4. csurfr macrumors 68020

Sometimes. I have the twelve south book arc or whatever it’s called. Sometimes I just leave it flat on my desk. Depends on whether I’m leaving soon or not.

5. prh8 macrumors newbie

I don't do clamshell, but mine runs about 10 degrees C hotter when connected to 2 4k monitors. It doesn't seem to impact performance other than that.

6. Michael J macrumors newbie

Michael J

I have the LG Ultrafine connected to my 2017 MBP13 and it works great, including ethernet direct to the computer via the monitor.
    I just place the mac under the monitor. I don't use vertical because sometimes I need to open the computer to go into mirror.
    One small nigglies: Computer gets hot/fans spin when in screen saver and cycling through my photos. (I did not have this issue with Thunderbolt monitor.

7. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm gravitating towards getting a raised stand so the MBP can stay open and be used as a sort of utility monitor when plugged in.

8. csurfr macrumors 68020

Since updating to 10.14. whatever we got yesterday, my external display is flickering at random intervals. Not sure what's going on.

2018 base model 15" / 4k UltraFine

Edit: typo - had iOS on the brain.