Anyone have any experience having AT&T move up their upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saleemyas3, Jul 13, 2012.

1. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

With the new rumor that the iPhone 5 will be announced on august 7th, I was just wondering if anyone had their AT&T upgrade moved up? I have an upgrade in January 2013 but I would like to get the new iPhone when it's released. Has anyone had any experience of having them move it up? I know it has been done before. Maybe if i threaten to change carriers once the contract is up?

TIA

2. chokem macrumors 6502

I have requested an early upgrade twice, one request was granted, one was not. If you've been with them several years, and have a history of paying on time, it helps a lot. I firmly believe it depends partially on who you talk to at customer service. I was denied a two month early upgrade, but was granted an upgrade when it was slightly less than thirty days off.

3. Ryno76 macrumors member

probably depends on when they acutally get distributed out to the masses. Make sure your account is current and i'm sure they'll be happy to have you on for another two years. I've never had a problem with getting an upgrade at the subsidized price. good luck!

4. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

Been with them for 11+ years (back when they were cingular) and never a late bill. They gave me a free AT&T Microcell after a huge hassle, maybe i can get them to push it up.

5. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

Just found an Engadget article from back when the iphone 4 was released that let customers upgrade 6 months early. hopefully the same happens here.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They changed their policy since then. Not saying they won't do this for you, but they had an early upgrade policy at the time of the iPhone 4 launch that they have since officially gotten rid of.

7. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It literally was their policy. I was getting an early upgrade yearly. You had to be paying upwards for $120 a month and the main line would get an upgrade eligibility every 12 months. They also did standard early upgrades for those that didn't meet this. If your bill was under said amount, you could still sign another two year contract 12 months later, and get $200 off of your handset. Officially, they got rid of those perks. Now it's a new phone (full upgrade) every 22 months.

9. chdwil macrumors regular

For some reason my contract got terminated 10 months early. I didn't complain and used the upgrade for a one x, returned it for the s3.

10. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you call and ask why? Did they notify you or did you just happen to check and an upgrade was available?

11. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

I've been on AT&T for the better part of 12 years and have always been allowed to upgrade after 1 year but not a day prior to that. With the intro of the iPhone that hasn't been an issue. I do pay around $200/month and have always paid on time so it's not like they aren't making money off me.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

probably a 50/50 chance and depends on who you get to help you. I know they always let you upgrade iPhones at the subsidized price....usually $400 vs the $600 or $700 for a new iPhone out of contract. They do make you extend out another 2 years though.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

ATT is a total conundrum and it depends 100% on who answers the phone.

14. 13hartc macrumors newbie

Good News

I was in from June to now checking the same thing until today it was set for August 25th. Today it said I am eligible for a 2 year price agrement. So it makes me wonder if August 7th is the day!

15. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

What. On. Earth.

16. 13hartc macrumors newbie

My parents phones were to be upgraded on December 14 but are now said to be eligible for an iPhone upgrade. I don't care if the "iPhone 5" does not come out until December, I just wish I could pre-order and know what it is going to look and have!

17. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

the early iphone price is the iphone price + $250. ends up being $450 for the 16GB with a 2 year contract, it isn't the same as the full upgrade

18. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The next iPhone won't be released August 7th. Why I know:

1. Apple sends out invites for launches 6-7 days before the event (too late now).
    2. iOS 6 will probably get another beta
    3. The next iPhone will be announced Sept 12 (widely reported by people well-connected into Apple (The Loop and every other publication)).

19. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

Way to miss the point of the thread to point out outdated info in the OP.

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well, it's not missing the point since you're talking about moving up your upgrade to an earlier date, but you have the date wrong for the release of the iPhone.

And 13hartc repeated your 'outdated info' today. I was just clarifying. No reason to be rude.

21. shipshape macrumors newbie

shipshape

i ended up being able to upgrade to an iphone 4s from a 4 by adding a dummy line. one of the supervisors at my local at&t store suggested that route of action. i am now eligible for an upgrade.

22. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't you have to pay per month for that line?

23. mousemd macrumors member

i just checked my att wireless website. I'm eligible for a new iphone upgrade, and I already own the 4s. So looks like ATT is moving most if not all 4s owners up to get the new iphone whenever that is.

24. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I did the same thing. You have to pay 10$ per month for the extra line but you are paying $120 per year to be eligible for an upgrade every year. It works out cheaper than anything else I could figure out. I just put the sim card for the second line in a cheap flip phone to take out when I'm on my jetski.

25. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

This wouldn't surprise me because I had no problem at all moving from the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G at the upgrade price. I even got Apple to give me another 3G at upgrade price when I dropped mine and broke it.

For the 3GS and 4S, I used my girlfriends upgrade, and gave her my old iPhone. So I did not bother to try to upgrade my own account.