Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
So, does anyone out there have both sizes of the latest Pro? I guess it would solve the “which size is best” debate if you had both? If you do, what’s the use case/justification for both sizes? Just curious.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
So, does anyone out there have both sizes of the latest Pro? I guess it would solve the “which size is best” debate if you had both? If you do, what’s the use case/justification for both sizes? Just curious.

I have 2017 12.9, as well as the 11, so I can at least speak to use cases. It’s not terribly different than what people have discussed in other threads— the 12.9 is essentially my work machine (I teach online). Bigger screen, slightly more spacious keyboard. I would love the 12.9 2018, for the compactness and compatibility with pencil 2, but I couldn’t spend that kind of money on two new ipads, especially when my 2017 is still perfect.

I looooove my 11 inch for its adorable compactness. It’s everything I need in basically the absolute minimum size (smaller and the keyboard would be too compromised). It fits in my purse, and I use it at home in conjunction with the 12.9. I usually use my 12.9 to draw on a whiteboard for my students and the 11 to display whatever problems we are working on. When I’m traveling (which I do about a week a month), I only take the 11, and I’m fine.

I have no problem using even the older, bigger 12.9 on the couch or if I’m sitting up in bed, but lying down, the 11 definitely wins.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I have the 12.9” 2018 and the 10.5”. I had the 12.9” 2017 prior to the 2018. When I had both 2017 models, I used them both about 50% of the time each. I loved the 12.9” 2017 for its screen size, but the 10.5” for portability.
However, now that I have the 12.9” 2018, it’s pretty much all that I use. It has the same large screen as my previous 2017 model, but is much more portable. I find it the best of both worlds.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
If I could justify it I'd buy both, but I returned my 12.9 for an 11 because it just wouldn't replace my laptop and I found it too unwieldy for using as a traditional tablet for content consumption. If iOS 13 adds more functionality specifically for the Pro, maybe I can replace my laptop and I wouldn't hesitate to have both sizes.

I do think its a very personal thing though - I found the 12.9 too big for lots of uses, but there's two posts in this thread alone from people who don't, so its maybe worth going to a store and trying them both out.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015

I sold off both my 2017s to pay for the 18 models and yes, both over the previous gen feel much better in hands and with the folios. Battery life respective to each device and the previous gen also a big upgrade. My impression is there will be a iPad OS of sorts this year with file system and maybe support a mouse. The mouse being the only questionable area. But Apple would want at least 2 generations before introducing a New OS to run on and have a customer base to get devs on board.

Between the two, I use them almost equally but find the 11 to be the sweet spot if you find you take yours with you often. It’s portable and stil packs a large screen. If you like to type without the keyboard case, typing remains easier on the 11. The 12.9 does still last longer on a charge when comparing apples to apples, but not by much.

The 11 struggles with having the corners a little dimmer and the 12.9 has slight banding across the display in the middle. Neither highly noticeable unless you are OCD and even then it’s minor.

If you draw, require a normal size keyboard, or like the larger screen size but hated the old size of the 12.9 you’ll love the new size and compactness. The sound also a little fuller, but not by much.

Both units when recharging also charge quickly and hold a great standby charge. The 12.9 obviously has the edge here in standby and the 11 in a little faster recharge.

As far as apps not updated to the new screen size, the 12.9 makes this much less noticeable. The 11 will carry much larger borders if it’s an out of date app if that matters to you.

If you have any other questions let me know.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Check YouTube channels, there are some guys have all models.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I sold off both my 2017s to pay for the 18 models and yes, both over the previous gen feel much better in hands and with the folios. Battery life respective to each device and the previous gen also a big upgrade. My impression is there will be a iPad OS of sorts this year with file system and maybe support a mouse. The mouse being the only questionable area. But Apple would want at least 2 generations before introducing a New OS to run on and have a customer base to get devs on board.

Between the two, I use them almost equally but find the 11 to be the sweet spot if you find you take yours with you often. It’s portable and stil packs a large screen. If you like to type without the keyboard case, typing remains easier on the 11. The 12.9 does still last longer on a charge when comparing apples to apples, but not by much.

The 11 struggles with having the corners a little dimmer and the 12.9 has slight banding across the display in the middle. Neither highly noticeable unless you are OCD and even then it’s minor.

If you draw, require a normal size keyboard, or like the larger screen size but hated the old size of the 12.9 you’ll love the new size and compactness. The sound also a little fuller, but not by much.

Both units when recharging also charge quickly and hold a great standby charge. The 12.9 obviously has the edge here in standby and the 11 in a little faster recharge.

As far as apps not updated to the new screen size, the 12.9 makes this much less noticeable. The 11 will carry much larger borders if it’s an out of date app if that matters to you.

Really informative post - thank you! I like the practical comparisons, and it’s nice to get that from someone who actually has, and uses, both machines, rather than from someone trying to justify one over the other. I realize not all posters do that, but many do, and this is just refreshing.

Reactions: BarrettF77

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016

Very informative stuff - thanks.

I initially ordered an 11" at the pre-launch, but on launch day, waffled back and forth and finally walked out of the Apple store with a 12.9 and all the trimmings. It's great and I'm completely happy with my decision. I guess I'm sort of bored and just seeing if I could justify bringing an 11" into the fold! You know, looking to the internet for commiseration!

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I too am debating going from a 10.5 to either the 11 or 12.9. It would be nice to know for sure if the 12.9 suffers from the same border issues the 11 inch has with older iPad apps. Developers are very slow to update iPad apps so thats my concern. Also this would be more of a full on laptop for me since Im slowly diving into the creative apps like Affinity on my 10.5. I've been exclusively using iPad pro at home now for 3-4 years while I use an iMac for my day to day creative tasks at work.

But also I'm mulling over a 13 inch air or pro (for photoshop) which would be comparably priced to a 12.9 inch iPad Pro, but that would be counter to be being all in on iPad.....decisions decisions!!!

Reactions: PetterPan

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Very informative stuff - thanks.

I initially ordered an 11" at the pre-launch, but on launch day, waffled back and forth and finally walked out of the Apple store with a 12.9 and all the trimmings. It's great and I'm completely happy with my decision. I guess I'm sort of bored and just seeing if I could justify bringing an 11" into the fold! You know, looking to the internet for commiseration!

The 11” is very good at being an ultra portable machine if your workflow fits. Even with the keyboard folio, its really nice and light. Without it, its insanely small, light and the slightly bigger screen has made a big difference to the onscreen keyboard.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I too am debating going from a 10.5 to either the 11 or 12.9. It would be nice to know for sure if the 12.9 suffers from the same border issues the 11 inch has with older iPad apps. Developers are very slow to update iPad apps so thats my concern. Also this would be more of a full on laptop for me since Im slowly diving into the creative apps like Affinity on my 10.5. I've been exclusively using iPad pro at home now for 3-4 years while I use an iMac for my day to day creative tasks at work.

But also I'm mulling over a 13 inch air or pro (for photoshop) which would be comparably priced to a 12.9 inch iPad Pro, but that would be counter to be being all in on iPad.....decisions decisions!!!

I loved my 12.9 for desktop use. There is nothing I can't do with my small business (Disney travel agent) on an iPad.

My only issue was portability. It's not like it was the worst, but I'm a pretty small person, and most of the time I'd just leave it on the table and use my phone if I was sitting on the couch or something because it was just more bulky than I wanted to hold while I was trying to chill and relax.

I realize for people coming from laptops, it's probably nothing, but I've never owned a laptop - if I'm gonna have a computer, I'd rather a desktop. Because of that, the bulk and weight seemed substantial for me when I just wanted to play a game or read.

I think the 11" will be the perfect spot for me, but for many, you just can't beat that bigger pro!

Reactions: ascender

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
I loved my 12.9 for desktop use. There is nothing I can't do with my small business (Disney travel agent) on an iPad.

My only issue was portability. It's not like it was the worst, but I'm a pretty small person, and most of the time I'd just leave it on the table and use my phone if I was sitting on the couch or something because it was just more bulky than I wanted to hold while I was trying to chill and relax.

I realize for people coming from laptops, it's probably nothing, but I've never owned a laptop - if I'm gonna have a computer, I'd rather a desktop. Because of that, the bulk and weight seemed substantial for me when I just wanted to play a game or read.

I think the 11" will be the perfect spot for me, but for many, you just can't beat that bigger pro!

I am curious to hear your impressions when you have used the 11” a bit. Will you be using it for your work too? I am in a similar situation, love everything about the 12.9 but the portability (although admittedly I have not tried the 2018 12.9). The 11” seems like a sweet spot but, for many office tasks, I feel like the 12.9 is “better” size wise. Overthinking at its finest I am sure. Lol.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I am curious to hear your impressions when you have used the 11” a bit. Will you be using it for your work too? I am in a similar situation, love everything about the 12.9 but the portability (although admittedly I have not tried the 2018 12.9). The 11” seems like a sweet spot but, for many office tasks, I feel like the 12.9 is “better” size wise. Overthinking at its finest I am sure. Lol.

Yeah I can’t wait to get going with it - just haven’t had a chance to go back up my other pad and set this one up. Our internet is crap so I can’t do it here. Doing that tomorrow at my daughter’s.

I do use my iPad for work, but I plan disney trips so all I have to be able to do I quote trips, get online to book people’s dining and fast passes and then type itineraries. All that is easily done on my pad. I did love the larger ASK on the 12.9, And I’m not quite sure how the 11 inch one will work, but right now I use a Bluetooth keyboard that’s about the size of an iMac keyboard and I like my setup a lot - may just keep it and not go for the keyboard folio.

As far as other stuff, games, social media, the occasional video or movie, and I do a lot of digital planning which Uses the pencil of course - can’t WAIT til my new one arrives!

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
Definitely interested in the new pencil despite being artistically challenged (read: I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler let alone anything else). I bought the first one thinking it would be fun, but not very functional for my purposes, and I found myself being able to incorporate it in many daily tasks. I hated the weird method of charging it though, can’t wait to be able to just attach it to the side of my iPad.

rachelsgoldens

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I bought an 11” on Black Friday when Verizon had $250 and I had a trade in. However, I’m still finding myself using my 2015 12.9 quite a bit. I have successfully replaced my MacBook with it for the most part. I just pulled the trigger and bought a used cellular version of the 2018 12.9 on Swappa for $895. I will sell my current 12.9 and keyboard and pencil for hopefully around $500.

I used my 11” as navigation on our trip to Florida over Christmas, and I take it to the gym with me and have been taking notes on it at work. But I really want downsize the 12.9 since I seem to be carrying both to work with me. And I’m thinking it may be better for note taking at work, but either way, I will use each of them for unique needs.

I have a problem, I love technology... Glad their are others here that have both, so I don’t feel quite so guilty!

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015

It suffers less due to the fact that the aspect ration was un changed and the 11 is a different aspect. So that being said, when in Landscape mode how the 11 has massive bars on the sides, the 12.9 has very small ones. It almost would appear as though it was the old iPad because it has a uniform border around all 4 sides unlike the giant ones on the 11 inch sides and smaller ones on the top and bottom.

I will add that many of the apps have been updated, something to the tune of maybe 75% I'd say. Now YMMV, but I think it's funny that apps like Apples Trailers app still hasn't been updated for example.

Not a deal breaker and seems a simple fix, but the most important of the apps all do seem to have been upgraded so far including most of the drawing apps and photo editing. I don't regret moving away from the old IPP FROM 2017 in any way. I've gotten used to the iPhone X and now XS Max so this is a natural progression for me.

I would like to see Apple fully convert to USB-C though and streamline everything with one another from AirPods, watch, phone etc now.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Definitely interested in the new pencil despite being artistically challenged (read: I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler let alone anything else). I bought the first one thinking it would be fun, but not very functional for my purposes, and I found myself being able to incorporate it in many daily tasks. I hated the weird method of charging it though, can’t wait to be able to just attach it to the side of my iPad.

I know! I’m really excited about that too. I really liked the overall feel of it when I tried it at the Apple store.

I’m very artistically challenged, so I don’t use it for that type thing. I’ve always been a paper/pen person. I love writing. I’m just also ready to be paperless where I can, so I’ve gotten my calendars, journals, etc on my iPad. I still get to write, but I’m not creating a paper pile!

Reactions: Larrupin

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I started off with an 11" but my SO convinced me that a 12.9" would be better. I returned it for a 12.9" but I've decided to go back to 11" after a lot of difficult indecision (and a lot of guilt over returning multiple devices). They each have their pros and cons. When first using the 11" I felt that I used it most often on a desk or on my lap with the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio (which won me over because of its lappability, even if I think the material leaves a lot to be desired), and the typing experience was not as good as on the 12.9", so I went and got the 12.9" instead and loved it for some things but not so much for others. Ultimately the 12.9" was too heavy and unwieldy for me to use when not on a desk, it barely fits in my medium-sized purse (I had to squeeze it in) and added noticeable weight with the Smart Keyboard Folio. And if so, I think a laptop is probably a better option since as much as I love the iPad, it can't replace a work machine for me. Sometimes the 12.9" looked like staring at a tv screen even when it was just on my desk to the side. I was never tempted to use it while lazing about in bed. I love the extra screen estate but I found in side-by-side comparisons that the 11" does really well at most things, and I don't actually find myself using split screen that often, and even in split screen mode the 11" is so sharp that it handles most things quite well. The 11" in light enough that I can throw it in my purse without fighting to get it in, it has a lovely screen, etc. The only thing is that sometimes it feels tiny after using the 12.9" for a week. But weighing the pros and cons I decided that the 11" makes the most sense as a single tablet device for me. If I knew what the Mini 5 was going to be like, I might have been more tempted to go 12.9". Anyways, as you can tell, the decision has been torturous (firstworldproblems indeed), but I'm reasonably happy with the decision to go back to the 11". And the perspective of having tried to use the 12.9" as a tablet means that I no longer find the 11" too large to use in bed (my previous and only iPad was an iPad Mini 1, which I LOVED), so maybe I don't need the Mini 5 after all.

Reactions: Porterhouse

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I started off with an 11" but my SO convinced me that a 12.9" would be better. I returned it for a 12.9" but I've decided to go back to 11" after a lot of difficult indecision (and a lot of guilt over returning multiple devices). They each have their pros and cons. When first using the 11" I felt that I used it most often on a desk or on my lap with the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio (which won me over because of its lappability, even if I think the material leaves a lot to be desired), and the typing experience was not as good as on the 12.9", so I went and got the 12.9" instead and loved it for some things but not so much for others. Ultimately the 12.9" was too heavy and unwieldy for me to use when not on a desk, it barely fits in my medium-sized purse (I had to squeeze it in) and added noticeable weight with the Smart Keyboard Folio. And if so, I think a laptop is probably a better option since as much as I love the iPad, it can't replace a work machine for me. Sometimes the 12.9" looked like staring at a tv screen even when it was just on my desk to the side. I was never tempted to use it while lazing about in bed. I love the extra screen estate but I found in side-by-side comparisons that the 11" does really well at most things, and I don't actually find myself using split screen that often, and even in split screen mode the 11" is so sharp that it handles most things quite well. The 11" in light enough that I can throw it in my purse without fighting to get it in, it has a lovely screen, etc. The only thing is that sometimes it feels tiny after using the 12.9" for a week. But weighing the pros and cons I decided that the 11" makes the most sense as a single tablet device for me. If I knew what the Mini 5 was going to be like, I might have been more tempted to go 12.9". Anyways, as you can tell, the decision has been torturous (firstworldproblems indeed), but I'm reasonably happy with the decision to go back to the 11". And the perspective of having tried to use the 12.9" as a tablet means that I no longer find the 11" too large to use in bed (my previous and only iPad was an iPad Mini 1, which I LOVED), so maybe I don't need the Mini 5 after all.

You sound like me and the way I torment myself over things. I admit since they are rumoring a new mini, I’ve contemplated whether to go 12.9 and then have a mini for reading/games, etc. when I’m relaxing or in bed, and then the 12.9 as a desktop device (because, for me, the iPP is my only “computer”).

But if the 11” can fill both of those needs, it makes more sense financially to just go with that. At this point we have no idea what the display or anything will be like on the mini 5, if indeed it is released; at least with the 11, I have the consistency when I’m at my desk, relaxing in my recliner, OR on the move.

Now if my case would just arrive so I can actually play with mine!

Reactions: seajewel

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

Finally got all my stuff in and am using it right now! I got everything backed up, and I’m rolling; Just need my pencil, which should be here any day.

It is absolutely perfect thus far!

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
Finally got all my stuff in and am using it right now! I got everything backed up, and I’m rolling; Just need my pencil, which should be here any day.

It is absolutely perfect thus far!

Nice! I look forward to hearing your report after a few days use. I’m curious if there is any “I really wish I had the 12.9 for that” features. I suspect the pencil will be the icing on the cake for the 11.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
Nice! I look forward to hearing your report after a few days use. I’m curious if there is any “I really wish I had the 12.9 for that” features. I suspect the pencil will be the icing on the cake for the 11.

I'm one of those that went back and forth with the 11 and the 12.9. Seriously, you would have thought it was a life or death matter! Eventually, I landed with the 11. Seajewel's post above has just about my line of reasoning, right down to not being able to fit the 12.9 in my purse. (Really, it's eerie.) My only other issue is that I use an iPad pillow at home, and there's not one out there that really fits the 12.9.

Now and then, I miss the 12.9, but the 11 is the best one for me. I had a 13 MBP, and it felt redundant to have an iPP of the same size. There's not any one task where I miss the 12.9, especially when I remember that it's (usually) the same screen, just magnified with the 12.9.

In retrospect, it feels so odd to think that all of that agonizing and indecision was over a little more than an inch of screen! (If Apple had released a 12 inch, it probably would have been close to perfect for me, but what would I have done with all of that time?)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I'm one of those that went back and forth with the 11 and the 12.9. Seriously, you would have thought it was a life or death matter! Eventually, I landed with the 11. Seajewel's post above has just about my line of reasoning, right down to not being able to fit the 12.9 in my purse. (Really, it's eerie.) My only other issue is that I use an iPad pillow at home, and there's not one out there that really fits the 12.9.

Now and then, I miss the 12.9, but the 11 is the best one for me. I had a 13 MBP, and it felt redundant to have an iPP of the same size. There's not any one task where I miss the 12.9, especially when I remember that it's (usually) the same screen, just magnified with the 12.9.

In retrospect, it feels so odd to think that all of that agonizing and indecision was over a little more than an inch of screen! (If Apple had released a 12 inch, it probably would have been close to perfect for me, but what would I have done with all of that time?)

Oh the times I have tormented myself over Apple purchases. It really is so first-world that I sometimes feel guilty about worrying over these types of things. This iPad purchase has been one I’ve gone back and forth over, and it’s pretty ridiculous. No, I certainly didn’t NEED it; the 2018 worked just fine. However, after using it for just a day, I really appreciate the differences. The screen, though not THAT much bigger, seems a LOT bigger. It really does make you feel more immersed in it as was described to me in this, or maybe another, thread.

Honestly, I don’t even remember my previous iPPs (1st and 2nd gen 12.9s) giving me that same experience.

It’s a gorgeous device. I just cannot wait to put my pencil to use. I’m hoping it arrives today!

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
Oh the times I have tormented myself over Apple purchases. It really is so first-world that I sometimes feel guilty about worrying over these types of things. This iPad purchase has been one I’ve gone back and forth over, and it’s pretty ridiculous. No, I certainly didn’t NEED it; the 2018 worked just fine. However, after using it for just a day, I really appreciate the differences. The screen, though not THAT much bigger, seems a LOT bigger. It really does make you feel more immersed in it as was described to me in this, or maybe another, thread.

Honestly, I don’t even remember my previous iPPs (1st and 2nd gen 12.9s) giving me that same experience.

It’s a gorgeous device. I just cannot wait to put my pencil to use. I’m hoping it arrives today!

It is gorgeous! It's been a couple of months and I still haven't gotten over how awesome it is.

Good luck with your pencil!

Reactions: ssledoux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.