Anyone have Comcast Cable/Internet??

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
If you do and know of one, is there a phone number for customer support that will not direct you to your local office?? I called to get the bandwith increased on my cable modem and they charged me twice because they messed up something and don't know how to fix it. They tried to be helpful and take $11 off of my bill but that still means that I am paying $85 for a 4MBPS connection when it should be $55. Anyway, any help would be great!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
tfaz1 said:
Question for Comcast customers... I understand that your speed can be up to 3mb/s, but what is your actual speed? I use www.dslreports.com. Thanks!
Speed

2.6 megabits per second
Communications 2.6 megabits per second
Storage 317.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.2 seconds
Subjective rating Great

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
i have comcast digital cable and 3mbit cable, i pay 80 bucks a month for both. i dont know what deal they have you on but you are getting ripped off. and yes, dsl reports shows me as 3mbits.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I use Comcast, but only for basic Cable for $8.66 a month. The reception is poor on one of the channels, but at that price I can't complain. Sometimes when I squeeze on the cable itself the reception improves. It takes a strong hand.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Comcast has me by the balls. I pay $150/month for Internet + HDTV + All Premium Pay + Hi-Def DVR. DSL Reports has me at 2406 Kbps Down 180 Kbps Up.

I can't wait for HD DVD's to happen so I can drop all the useless premium channels and rent what I want to watch (in Hi-Def) from NetFlix...

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
888-COMCAST just redirects you to your local office, who seem to be complete idiots. Any other help would be great... And yes, I have a 4MBPS connection from them.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Cooknn said:
Comcast has me by the balls. I pay $150/month for Internet + HDTV + All Premium Pay + Hi-Def DVR. DSL Reports has me at 2406 Kbps Down 180 Kbps Up.

I can't wait for HD DVD's to happen so I can drop all the useless premium channels and rent what I want to watch (in Hi-Def) from NetFlix...
I am paying the same for standard def from Cox, so don't complain :)

HD will add about $40 to my bill, not to mention the cost of the HD set. :D

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
wdlove said:
I use Comcast, but only for basic Cable for $8.66 a month. The reception is poor on one of the channels, but at that price I can't complain. Sometimes when I squeeze on the cable itself the reception improves. It takes a strong hand.
you should just find your cable box and unscrew the filter. BAM - all channels.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
obeygiant said:
you should just find your cable box and unscrew the filter. BAM - all channels.
I don't use a cable box. Just directly from cable to TV. My understanding is that the filter is applied at my connection to their line.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
realityisterror said:
the "default" is 3mbps/256kbps... for $10 more a month, you get 4mbps/384kbps... they undervalue upload speed :rolleyes:

reality
Everyone undervalues upload. I only have 1.5mb/s from my local cable provider, and only 256kb up. I would be willing to pay more for faster upload before I paied more for faster download...

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
StarbucksSam said:
Wait, is there some like faster version of Comcast I can like... get?
For $10 more a month, they will upgrade you from 3MB to 4MB. I split the bill with my other two roommates so for an extra $3.33 a month, it is well worth it.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
StarbucksSam said:
I hate Comcast. They are simply TERRIBLE. Damn.

i think we have a winner for best post of the year... :p

care to maybe, i dont know, provide a REASON?

i use comcast in dc, not the fastest, but we dont pay for it because one of my roommates works for them :D

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
DanTekGeek said:
i have comcast digital cable and 3mbit cable, i pay 80 bucks a month for both. i dont know what deal they have you on but you are getting ripped off. and yes, dsl reports shows me as 3mbits.
You think thats good, I pay $88 and i got Digital Cable (with Starz and Encore) on two boxes, Local Telephone service with Caller ID and Call Waiting, and high speed internet. I'm paying for 256k/256k but apparently they neglected to switch my modem into the other pool on their uBR, so I'm getting my 3MB down and 386K up! Te he he!

http://www.mcleodusa.com/ats

My favorite thing that they offer is 7MB bidirectional fiber internet to your office for just around $2700 per month. You can get an entire class C subnet for only $100 additional, which means a 7MB connection for under 3k per month, which around here is a tremendous deal. (Not to mention it is just a simple ethernet connection, so comming off the pole they basically run their special cable and then convert that to ethernet on the side of your building)

DataLink Prices

I guess thats the advangate of them building out their own fiber to the curb network though, plenty of bandwidth to spare.