Anyone have experience of a new battery in an old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greensalad, Dec 7, 2015.

1. greensalad macrumors regular

greensalad

Hey.

My iPhone 4s is now 20 months old. As it stands, Apple doesn't currently make an iPhone that's too appealing to me, so I'm holding onto the 4s for a while yet. Do you think my experience with it would benefit from a new battery?

The battery runs down quicker than I'd like during a typical day but I guess I'm a heavy user of location services and music streaming.

My question is more a general: Will *any* iPhone benefit *significantly* from a battery replacement after 20 months?

I forget at this point what I should be reasonably expecting in terms of battery life.

Thanks very much folks.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, the phone would benefit.

I had a 5 in August 2014 (almost a year and a half old replacement). The battery started to swell and pushed up on the screen. Battery life was ok, but not like it was new. Apple replaced it and the increase in battery life was dramatic.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I'd just recommend an actual Apple battery replacement. I've heard mixed results with third party replacements.

C

4. greensalad thread starter macrumors regular

greensalad

Hey. Thanks.

I've made an appointment at the Genius Bar. If I remember rightly, it's only the iPhone 5 and later that they can do a proper battery health test on, but I'll see what they say anyway :)

5. xixi.li macrumors regular

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you are still on your original iPhone 4 battery, I doubt a battery health test will be required. . . it needs to be replaced. You will notice a big difference!