Anyone have experience repairing small dents in aluminum (see pic.)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by klover, Oct 10, 2012.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

Stumbled on a good deal this past weekend for a factory-sealed 2012 13" MBA ($950) and had to buy it (don't know why - already have a Retina).

Anyway, turns out it has a small dent on the base plate which looks like it was caused by the adapter while in the box (this was definately factory sealed and everything else is perfect).

Of course, I hate little things like this. Any idea how easy/hard it would be to bang that out?

[​IMG]

2. jbzcar macrumors regular

Get a Moshi iGlaze and don't worry about it. ;)

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Perfect place to stick a name label.

I know not the reply u want.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Out of curiosity, where did you stumble across this deal?

5. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was hoping somebody had fixed something like this in the past and could offer some tips.

----------

Kijiji.

6. boba7523 macrumors regular

Unscrew the back plate, flip it backwards and use a cloth over a hammer and try to gently flatten the ding out? Not sure why it wouldn't work, but do it at your own risk...... I've never done it before.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I can't even see the ding. But I can the dents, scrapes, and glazing on my MBP. Sigh... some people. It's a tool, not a piece of art. Start using it. My wife actually wore the letters off her 2008 MBP. I mean, half the keys have show just the plastic that used to be underneath the paint. I finally convinced her to upgrade this year.

8. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

If it was a 2012 sealed it should have warranty. You should be able to bring it to the apple store and show them the dent and how you think it happened in the box im sure they can switch out the plate for you since its only held on by screws or maybe even the whole laptop.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Is that Kijiji as in eBay Classifieds? I had no idea that existed. Thanks for the heads up on this.

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

A minor dent that can barely be detected in a photograph on the bottom of a laptop that will literally never be seen unless you flip it over and look for it?

I think you may just have buyer's remorse.

11. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I had buyers remorse why would I attempt to repair and keep it? I could easily sell this for as much or more than I paid.

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I think dents like this happen from picking up the power cord. if you pick it up and let it slide in your hand to grab the tip sometimes it will snap back like a whip and hit the laptop with the magnet end. hard to explain i guess.