Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Other than the obvious improvements, i5/i7, hi-res option and inertial scrolling have you noticed any other subtle improvements/changes.

We have 09 C2D 15" 2.8ghz 15" MBP's and a few new 2010 15" at our office now, all standard res.

What we've noticed on 2010's so far is:
- screen seems clearer or brighter
- keyboard a little less soft, better to type on
- they run noticeably warmer
- fans kick in sooner and you hear the fans more often
- battery lasts longer, but not by much
- i7 is noticeably faster than the 2.8 at everything, even opening/closing windows, its quick!

Do others have the same experience with the two?

takamine

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Brisbane
I can contribute to this thread. I'm comparing my old '09 15" MBP 2.8Ghz Core2Duo with Antiglare with my new '10 15" MBP 2.66GHz Core i7 with Antiglare.

Differences I've noticed:

- Screen is much better on the i7, although it's slightly smaller, it's not uncomfortable to read stuff. The extra resolution helps with my word documents and PDF files for uni work. Screen looks like it gets a bit brighter on the i7 than the Core2Duo
- The keyboard feels a more responsive to type on on the i7 and the keys have a slightly nicer crisp feel to it
- Magsafe charger is different to the Core2Duo
- The part just above the Escape key (near the magsafe) is noticeably cooler than my Core2Duo. I couldn't even hold my finger there without taking it off after a few seconds when it got hot (Windows gaming). With the i7 it feels warm but I can hold my finger there when I'm feeling cold (it's cold here in Brisbane, Australia!) and it won't burn me
- On the bottom, the i7 is slightly warmer than the Core2Duo
- Battery life is an hour or 2 better when running just the Intel graphics
- Intel graphics feels a little laggier than the old 9400M
- Boot up time is a little slower on the i7 (takes about 8 seconds longer to boot)
- Windows 7 Professional takes shorter time to load on the i7
- Multitasking is better on the i7, and converting videos takes shorter time
- Overall the i7 is a snappier machine than the Core2Duo
- Geekbench score on my Core2Duo is 3907. On the i7, it's 5747.
- i7 has momentum scrolling (awesome feature)
- USB ports on the i7 feel a little tighter than the Core2Duo

Other than that, the i7 is a nice upgrade for me. I'm a uni student so I do mainly wordprocessing, some gaming and some video encoding.

Hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.