Anyone have luck getting unlimited data from AT&T due to VZW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bilybobjef, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Bilybobjef macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone back in on a family plan so I am unfortunately stuck with the tiered plan. While I'm not a total data hog (wifi at home and work makes it easier) I would love to not think about how much data I've used in the back of my head. Has anyone had any success calling ATT and being moved from a tiered data plan to unlimited thanks to VZW's offer of the iPhone with unlimited data? Thanks for any tips!

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Why not try the Iphone 2G loophole?

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Not an option, as AT&T no longer offers the plans. Because of this, there is no way to get a telephone rep to switch you. The only work around is by downgrading to an iPhone 2G (original). The only data plan for those phones are unlimited. Once on this plan, you can then "upgrade" to a newer iPhone and be grandfathered in on the newly acquired unlimited plan. This is what I did, and it works like a champ.

Since Verizon has expressed interest in teired plans as well, I don't see them offering unlimited past the iPhone4. In my opinion, the only reason they are offering unlimited on the iPhone4 is to drawl as much competition away from AT&T as possible. However, once AT&T customers have their contracts expire, Verizon is expecting a mass exdus over to their network. In my opinion, this is when Verizon will adopt the teired data plans (Summer of 2011 or 2012).

After that happens, don't expect unlimited plans to ever come back! Just pray lots of Wi-Fi hotspots start popping up.

Cosmo

4. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

5. Bilybobjef, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

Bilybobjef thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the 2G loophole require modifying anything else in the family plan. We have unlimited text for all lines and I'd rather not rock the boat for anyone else since I don't absolutely need unlimited, would just like to have it. Also do you have a link to a thread for this? The only thing I ever saw was the dumphone loophole that got closed a while back.

And everything you said makes sense Cosmo, I suppose just wishful thinking on my part that it would be easy enough to call up to retentions or something rather than spending some money to acquire a 2G.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

I have the 2GB data plan and never worry about using too much data. I, like you, use wifi at home and work so even though I use data regularly while I'm out and about, its still less than 1GB of usage... Don't bother trying to get unlimited. As long as you have wifi at home and work, its pointless.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I know two higher ups in AT&T and they are going to have a big push to get rid of the unlimited data plans. If you got one you better not do anything to loose it. As far as getting one back or starting a new plan with unlimited, the computer will not allow them.

Looks like obuma's new Internet will open the door for AT&T to start charging for users using more bandwidth. I feel lucky to have been able to go from my Blackberry Unlimited to the iPhone unlimited.;)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

After being a long time customer of AT&T I've learned that they don't really seem to care about what the other guy is doing. Many times their attitudes are quite caviler towards customers saying they're going to switch. FTR, VZW is very much the same.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Only a matter of time before they all tier their data plans, that is what costs the most on their infrastructure, not voice, in fact voice will go down but anything that uses Data will go up, and since they basically transfer TXT msgs fro free, they will continue to use this as a method of more revenue, especially since more and more people txt.

I think the tier plans work well, however may not seem fair, as I have unlimited now, but who know what they will do later on, and I use a MAX of 800MB per month.

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I converted to a family plan AFTER doing the loophole. However, I don't think the data plan will matter as all data plans are individual, even though voice and text can be shared.

11. UofM Canes! macrumors newbie

I had unlimited data, foolishly dropped to the cap and had some regret. I called AT&T after a few months and they stonewalled me. The whole it's not in the computer anymore bs. Called Tuesday after the announcement about 6pm eastern and talked to a rep., dropped the verizon iPhone line. Within a few minutes I had unlimited data again.

They can absolutely put it back, don't believe them when they say it's impossible.

Love what a little competition will do. I should mention my current contract is up February 25th.

12. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I still have my unlimited data and I'm nit getting rid of it! Too bad I can't get that wifi hotspot but I'd rather have that unlimited data

13. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

What I'm really wondering is if AT&T will nix the "Grandfather" status of unlimited plans when the next-gen iPhone arrives and your contract is due to renew (or maybe when the iPhone hops to the next-gen network -- 4G, or whatever it's called today)?

Sorry for the threadjack.

14. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

They probably will nix the unlimited plans when LTE comes out. I'll milk 3G unlimited for as long as possible.

15. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I've always had unlimited since AT&T first offered it. Yet nothing lasts forever. It doesn't matter which carrier, they're all going to go to tiered pricing only. Sooner or later. The better our phones get, the more data we use.

16. themadrussian macrumors regular

+1

If you don't use more than 2GB of data per month right now, then stop worrying and just live with it. You'll be forced onto tiered, limited data plans when they offer "4G" phones/plans. As soon as you activate a 4G-equipped (not sure whether they will consider HSPA+ for this but I doubt there will be an HSPA+ iPhone without LTE) iPhone they will force you onto a tiered plan, I'm sure of it. I'm guessing it'll be the iPhone 6.

17. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Any more luck with this? I just got a letter saying I could get a free MicroCell from ATT. I don't really give a crap about that, I just want unlimited data. I was going to use the letter, Verizon offering unlimited data, and Verizon offering to pay my ETF for leverage to see if they'll switch me to unlimited. Anyone else?

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Verizon is going to pay your ETF and you have that in a letter? They can't do that legally but can offer you a credit.

19. war eagle macrumors 6502a

If you had unlimited data in the past, you can call AT&T and they can add it back.

20. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Right, I know they can't "pay my ETF" but I was just going to say that to INVOKE THE FEAR of me leaving :rolleyes: And I meant the letter, regarding the MicroCell. If they're willing to give a free MicroCell, they're willing to at least try to keep me as a customer.

21. wb182 macrumors newbie

I was one of the fools that downgraded for a pittance $5 savings. When i called AT&T last week about reinstating unlimited, they shot me down quick. Maybe i wasn't threatening enough?

22. homerjfry macrumors regular

homerjfry

On the flip side, I called last week and they placed me back on without any fuss. Seems to be on a rep to rep basis, and possibly length of time as an AT&T/Cingular customer?

23. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Didn't att say they were going to offer unlimited contracts to new customers for a limited time to counter verizon? I thought I read that on MR? Or maybe that was speculation? I will have to look around for the link/article.

edit - found the link... it was quasi-speculation I guess. Not official but could be worth a shot as it seems some exceptions are bing made.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/26...p-iphone-customers-from-defecting-to-verizon/

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why wouldn't they? You voluntarily gave up the plan. I guess you could threaten them if they give it back to you that you'll cancel it again, but I'm not sure that will get you very far.

25. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I was successful in doing this with the first rep I spoke to. I just politely said i heard Verizon was offering unlimited data, and that I had unlimited data on AT&T on a previous account before switching to Sprint and they were happy to add it back to my account.