Anyone have pictures of side by side 1st gen and 2nd gen Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by techmonkey, Sep 10, 2008.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Anyone have pictures of side by side 1st gen and 2nd gen Touch?

2. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I will tomorrow when it gets here finally. I mean, come on! 24 hour shipping should NOT include Apple taking a day to ship it! That is two day shipping! :mad:

But yeah, I'll have both tomorrow. No camera though. I'll have to borrow someone else's again (yes, I'm holding out for a Touch with a camera built-in).

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. Clayne macrumors 6502

Damn, it looks fresh.

Except in the 4th one - it looks bulkier in that one. But I think it's just the angle.

5. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

The new Touch is the EXACT same size as the old one, just a bit thicker in the middle (18.5 instead of 18mm) and it tapers more at the edges.

We need a video of the speaker in action already! I want to hear it! I've heard everything from 'like the iPhone's' to 'Beepy, tinny, and distorted'. I guess I'll find out tomorrow... :(

6. mpshay macrumors 6502

I want to hear the speaker also. I don't really plan on listening to music with it a lot, but if it sounds OK then it would certainly benefit games and other apps.

Pismodude2,
    Let us know your thoughts tomorrow

7. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Its actually 8.5mm.

If it was 18.5mm I dread to think how bulky it would be :eek:

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the iLounge pics. Wish they labeled each device, its hard to tell what is what.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

hmm its easy to tell them apart...... iPhone has white plastic back, speaker above the display and has bigger dimentions. Old iPod has black aluminium border around the screen, flat back, much less rounded wi-fi plastic on the back.

:)

10. njguyfla macrumors member

In the last pic it is easy to tell them apart. The black part is rounded.

Otherwise 1G and 2G look pretty much the same

11. njguyfla macrumors member

I can't imagine the speaker sounding very good. Someone should upload a video of it to Youtube.

12. henchosbandito macrumors member

the speaker is awful. went into an apple store today and had to literally put it right up to my ear to hear the speaker sound properly. Could have been that the store had a few people in but even so.

13. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. Ive never owned a Touch before, so the differences are barely noticeable.

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My friend went yesterday and I just got back a few minutes ago. I agree the speaker is a joke. Hopefully when the next gen comes out they will make it better. Certainly not worth upgrading to a 2nd gen..

15. njguyfla macrumors member

There will never be a good built in speaker on the Itouch. Never much better than a cell phone.

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are probably right, but they can do much better than the one in it now.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really the speaker is just there to be there. It's mono (afaik) and isn't supposed to be awesome. However, it's great for a quick little "hey check this **** out" to your friends.

18. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, thats what its meant for. Steve Jobs even said it at the announcement. For those who have seen this, how does the speaker compare to a cellphone speaker?

19. citi macrumors 65816

citi

The speaker is just fine for what is intentionally used for. The ability to hear games and email alerts and alarms. It was never suppose to be a hi-fi speaker to place on your desk and rock out to. I think it's a godsend. How many times have you been watching a stupid video thinking...I wish I didn't have to grab my headphones just to hear this or play this game.

On another note which is odd and slightly annoying to me. My belkin car charger no longer charges the touch. It still plays the audio but gives me a screen that says, "This accessory can't be used for charging".

My first gen Touch charged fine, so now I am wondering what internal things were changed?

20. coffeemadman macrumors newbie

Disappointing for a "major update" as an Apple representative said on the BBC News.

21. citi macrumors 65816

citi

What Apple representative would say that? Do they hate their job because they are probably about to lose it.

22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Well at least he was honest.