Anyone Have Success with Lion/ML on an '08 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Designer Dale, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have an Aluminum Macbook Pro (4,1) from late '08 and have found both Lion and now Mountain Lion to be complete busts. Both versions lock up into a reboot loop on completion of the install process with the fade screen crash and restart routine. Has anyone been able to get these updates to run on this type of hardware?

17 in. MBP/ 2.5 GHz C2D/ 6GB RAM/ GeForce 8600M GT Graphics Card/ OSX 10.6.8/ Boot ROM Version:MBP41.00C1.B03

This is the graphics card that was subject to recall on the 15 in. models from this release, but the 17 seemed to escape that. I have no issues with Snow Leopard.

Dale

2. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

I had the 15" version of that laptop and didn't have a problem when going from SL to Lion, I sold the computer last week so I wasn't able to try ML on it.

3. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks for the response. Did your machine have the same video card as mine? I was wondering if it wasn't compatible to the upgrades.

Dale

4. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

Yes sir, it did have the same card, when I upgraded to Lion I was afraid I would have an issue because I had so many things installed but luckily nothing happened and it worked just fine. Are you trying to install Lion and ML from the APP store?

5. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The copy of Lion I have is on a DVD I made using directions posted on this forum when it was first released. I did make that DVD from an App Store download. Mountain Lion was installed from an App Store download, too, and I just put my trust in Apple for the install and skipped the DVD part. It was a four hour download over wifi, and I later replaced it with a download over a hard wired network. ML got to the point of flashing my desktop and rebuilding everything but the Dock before the shut down loop cut in.

I have removed Candy Bar and reinstalled, but still no go. Currently, I'm running off my backup disk and doing a clean install of Snow Leopard. After I update that to the current version I'm going to go back to the hard wired network and reinstall ML. I'm trying to get the system running with no apps as a form of hardware test.

Dale