Anyone have the feeling the apple will have an LTE surprise for us in the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Sep 24, 2011.

1. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a feeling apple will shock us all and include LTE in the vzw iPhone and HSPA+ in the AT&T version. I cant see apple letting the vzw iphone remain 3G only

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. realitycheck69 macrumors member

It's 2011, bub.

4. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Then you're in for a disappointment.

The current generation LTE chips destroy battery life, and Apple never compromises on battery life. Just look at the current 4G phones, their battery life sucks.
    So you can expect iPhone 6 to be the LTE iPhone.

Also, 3G is awesome. The speeds i get on 3G are great, and it's not like going from Edge to 3G, which was a huge upgrade.

6. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Expect a 4G/LTE iPad 3, not iPhone 5

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not to mention the ridiculous LTE data cap plans, where even if you WERE getting max LTE speed you could literally hit your monthly data cap in under an hour.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Exactly.

I'll say this now, currently, LTE is inefficient. If it gets fixed soon, then we can expect an LTE iPhone next year.

9. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'm really hoping the new iPhone will have 4G/LTE....but the consensus is it won't. Verizon has pretty decent 4G coverage...although it seems that they are working on the 4G spectrum quite a bit.

I'm *thinking* of going to the Droid Bionic / Droid Charge if the iPhone 5 doesn't have 4G...but I really think the iPhone is the best of the smart phone crop everything considered. Such a tough decision...and it's not like I try out a Droid Bionic then return it. :\

10. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have vzw grandfathered unlimited, vzw has no data caps and currently does not throttle LTE under my plan

11. note235 macrumors 6502a

hopefully, since more cities are expected to be lit by end of 2011

12. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

I am thinking of the biOnic also

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

can't believe the misinformation being passed around here. What is everyone's beef with LTE?

I am currently on a Samsung Droid Charge for Verizon, and 4G LTE speeds are amazingly fast. I was getting around 20+ down and 5+ up last month. This month it has been around 12-15 down and 3-5 up. Don't know why.

LTE completely changes the experience of sharing on your phone. Uploading/syncing images is fast. Webpages load nearly instantly. Everything is just better. PLus, you ca talk and surf the web at the same time on Verizon now.

I've been in two major cities (LA and DC) and have had great coverage. No different than 3G, maybe even better. So if you are in a major city, you will be fine.

Battery life? 20+ hours for Droid Charge (that's with the sAMOLED+ screen). Would it be better if I used only 3g? Yes. But I am totally fine with 20 hours with 4G and all the other benefits of the phone.

I for one hope the iphone5 gets LTE, but I agree it probably isn't likely. Which is a shame, because it's going to make Apple look really behind when all the android phones have it.

If the iphone5 gets LTE, I am jumping right back to apple.

14. realitycheck69 macrumors member

Agreed. No LTE is a major problem. Amazing how people justify slower speeds as "plenty good".

15. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Although LTE and HSPA+ enhanced back-haul is quickly becoming the normal for smartphones I have enough reason to believe the iP5 will lack LTE connectivity. However HSPA+ is very possible in the iP5 for AT&T as HSPA+ and 3G use the same chip now.

16. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

I agree with you. LTE should be in the next iPhone, you never know until they release it. Nobody had a clue about the screen size until the cases started popping up everywhere. Everything anyones said about the future of LTE and the iPhone are based off of dumb analyst's speculation. Those guys don't know anything about what the next phone will have in it. October 4th hopefully all will be revealed.

Oct 4-5. 4th for the 4S, 5th for the 5. My prediction :)

17. alectheking macrumors 6502a

return policy

Wireless Device/Accessory Return Policy

You may return or exchange wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 14 days of purchase. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device (excluding Hawaii).

This return and exchange policy does not apply to customers who have purchased a Prepaid Plan.

18. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

yes.Just because AT&T installed LTE equipement to the apple stores

19. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If 3g speeds are decent, there will be virtually no difference between 3g/4g webpage loading as it's limited by the phone's slow processor. Even if you have a ferrari, it will go the same speed as a toyota on a congested highway. I can't speak for most people but a lot of people I know use 3g mainly for browsing with their limited data plans. For uploading, 4g will be faster but you can simply just use a wifi network.

I also can get over 3 days of usage on my iPhone 4 so while 20 hours isn't bad since you can charge it overnight, longer battery life is always nice.

20. Spectrum Abuser, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Wrong. A phones processor has little to do with how it will take advantage of the speed. LTE blows 3G out of the water and whoever claims it doesn't has never actually held an LTE handset before. And Ping is a great measurement to base speed on. A 15Mbps/5Mbps LTE connection with a Ping of 50ms is going to feel amazingly fast compared to a 3G connection of 2Mbps/1Mbps with a Ping of 400-600ms.

21. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

3 days? You mean you get 3 days of it on standby if you don't use it? I almost need to charge my iPhone 4 every night...and it's NOT jailbroken. I wish I could get 3 days out of mine.

22. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Mm you can try testing it at a store if you want given the 3g speeds are fast enough.

23. note235 macrumors 6502a

personally if it has lte then att or verizon is a lock
    even if nothing else gets upgrade
    LTE is much faster than 3g lol

24. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Apple is all about planned obsolescence. Introduce a product and don't include every feature currently available, then put that in the next iteration of the product making it just different enough to watch people flock to it.

In the case of the 3GS this backfired, they blew their load on adding 3G early then had nothing ground breaking to include in the 3GS.

It makes sense to me that they would introduce a redesigned iPhone 5 now that would get a huge number of people buying it because of the new form factor, then add LTE next year which alone will get a huge number of people to buy just for the increased speeds.

That way, you keep people happy for 2 years with "major" upgrades.