Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cco61827

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
So for the longest time now, it seems like the iPhone alarm clock isn’t working the way it should. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes I wake up and look at my phone only to look at the time and realize I’m super late waking up. The display on the screen looks normal, as if an alarm was going off, with the cancel and snooze buttons and all, but there’s no alarm sound coming out of my iPhone whatsoever. And then other times it works like normal.

I tried to contact Apple support about this but per usual they try to give you a run around of things to do that won’t work, which I know would eventually lead to them suggesting doing a factory restore (which I had to do a month ago anyway due to a different HUGE issue all together, and even that didn’t resolve this alarm issue). They also ask you to do stupid stuff like see if do not disturb is turned on (which shouldn’t matter anyway because do not disturb is not supposed to have any impact on alarms) I’ve become so paranoid about the iPhones alarms lately that now I’ll set like 5 alarms and I’ll STILL wake up to my iPhone not making any sound.

That’s why I’m coming to the community for help because more often than not they’re more helpful than Apple customer support.

I’m about to just order a new regular alarm clock for my night stand. I just wish I wouldn’t have to do this when we spend so much money for Apple products. You’d think at the very least they could have their alarm clock working without issue on their phones.

Has anyone else experienced these problems with iPhone alarms before, and were you able to find a solution? Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You know, Apple Support asking you to do troubleshooting steps like checking to see if DND is enabled and reset steps is hardly "stupid stuff." It's a step-by-step process to determine what might be the cause. They've never met you and aren't sitting beside you to check all the possible things that could be wrong. Any hardware/software company's support is going to ask questions like that.

What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I had this issue with my iPhone 11 and have repurposed my old iPad Mini as my bedside alarm.

Cco61827

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
You know, Apple Support asking you to do troubleshooting steps like checking to see if DND is enabled and reset steps is hardly "stupid stuff." It's a step-by-step process to determine what might be the cause. They've never met you and aren't sitting beside you to check all the possible things that could be wrong. Any hardware/software company's support is going to ask questions like that.

What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

You’re right, sorry. It was just a poor choice of words out of frustration cause it seems like Apple product glitches are becoming increasingly common these days. Literally just a little over a month ago my iPhone decided to to brick itself by getting stuck on the Apple logo startup screen and then getting stuck on the restore screen, which was awful timing because I had just seen my grandmother the week before and it was the last time I ever got to see her and the last pictures I ever took of her, and she passed away a week after that. My phone decided to brick itself while on our way back out to Wisconsin for her funeral. After dealing with customer support for an entire week desperately trying to get my phone to work again, they finally said I had no choice but to do a factory restore.

So because I didn’t back up my phone within that 1-2 week time frame, I lost my last pictures with her and I’m just mad because the amount Apple charges for their products, they shouldn’t be having these kinds of issues.

Anyway, the steps I’ve taken so far in resolving the iPhone alarm problem are
1.) check to make sure do not disturb is turned off
2.) make sure the sound off button isn’t flipped to on
3.) Turn off screen time
4.) Do a factory restore and restore backup in case it’s a glitch in the software (which I had to do a month ago for the previous problem I had with my phone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.